Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 03:47 AM
Registered Member

Help with corals!

I have some frogspawn coming in the mail this week and some came last week. whats the best way to add them to the tank? do you just use superglue gel on the rock they come on and attach it somewhere? what if they dont come on a rock? thanks
Old 12/09/2007, 04:22 AM
Gold Star Recipient

You can use epoxy to secure the "flesh-less, bony" part to a piece of rock. I would go with a two part like aquamedic or DD- the other ones out there are not as strong and are more difficult to work with...at least for me.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

I have never seen Frogspawn shiiped to someone that wasnt attached to its base. The coral will come with a base its attatched to. Glueing the coral if it was just flesh, wouldnt work as it will slime up and the glue wont hold.
Old 12/09/2007, 09:10 AM
Registered Member

It should already come to you on a base rock that its been attached to. If you need to re-attach it or attach it to something larger then some Super Glue Gel will work like a champ. I persoanlly prefer to use the Super Glue that www.garf.org sales as its easy to work with and quickly sets up once its wet or soaked in water.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:42 AM
Team RC Member

And if you can't get that to hold {IC-gel is made to do that] you can use reef putty [green stick wtih white center, knead until one color, smells awful, makes doughy ball you stick around base of coral, then jam into knobbly or holy base rock, and it forms itself into holes, gripping tightly as it sets. Can be broken free later, but holds well.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/09/2007, 03:34 PM
Registered Member

alright cool thanks guys. now in the case of my mushroom and sea mat that came last week. what do i do if it isnt attached to base rock?
Old 12/09/2007, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Set up a tub full of rubble rock or crushed coral (whatever you want) and let the mushroom and mat attach to the rocks. Then you can glue the whole thing to a larger rock.

Gluing tissue to rocks is risky. I've lost a mushroom doing that before. It won't take long to attack to rubble rock. Averages about a week for me, if that even.
Old 12/09/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

alright thanks. i managed to get them to attach in the tank but im still having trouble with one frag. i'll have to try the tub method. thanks