Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/21/2007, 02:14 AM
Registered Member

raise baby cleaning shrimp!please help.THanks

Hi,
I just discover when trying to feed my fish tonight that my tank are full of baby cleaning shrimp. I have a pair of cleaning shrimp and they were carrying eggs for a while and I guess now is the time for the eggs to hatch. There are a couple of clown fish in my tank and a yellow tang, a pair of cleaning shrimp and coral both soft and hard coral.

So what can I do to rescure these little baby cleaning shrimp? I'm totally not prepare and they suprised me. Any advices will be very appreciated. Thanks a million in advance to your help!
Old 10/21/2007, 08:14 AM
10 & Over Club

Read this thread. Lot's of good info.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 10/21/2007, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Is it possible they are mysis? Much more often in display tanks than a group of cleaner shrimp babies?
Old 10/22/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

I think they are from my cleaning shrimp because first how could the mysis get into my tank??? second I saw the cleaning shrimp follow the baby trying to protect them... any ways, they all gone in my display tank the next morning. I was able to catch some to put in my other tank which has no fish in it just some rocks and macroalgae. They are still alive up to this morning before I go to work. I try to feed them with rosstifier. Don't know how long they can survive but let's hope. If I can raise these shrimp with rosstifier, I'll definitely post the results up in case you have them and want to raise them. At least the parents looks very beautiful to me and my wife. We love our cleaning shrimp. They are not just for cleaning. Again, thank you for your response.
Old 10/22/2007, 12:37 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by madtiger
second I saw the cleaning shrimp follow the baby trying to protect them...
Shrimp don't make good parents once the eggs hatch. It's more likely they were trying to be cannibalistic and catch some larvae to eat. Good luck with the ones you isolated.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 10/22/2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Bill for showing me the great thread about these larva. My baby shrimp look exactly to the picture. It sound like almost impossible to raise them but I still want to give them a chance. I hope they will live, if not, I will have to research more for the next time I guess. Thank you!