Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Delaware Reef Club (DRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Angry 3 seconds from the window

sooooo last week i cleaned the crap out of my tank....pulled all the hair algea out, did a water change, cleaned out the sump, etc etc and a week or two ago i added a bag of that phosguard killer crap and 2 weeks earlier then that i added like a phosguard liquid and i still have more hair algea then i know what to do with...i left the lights off most of the weekend and it still covered.....im about to give the f*** up....and to make matter worse there is like bubbles covering almost everything....it dont look like bubble algea but they dont look like normal bubbles...sadly i dont have my camera at the moment so i cant exactly show ya but if it keeps it up this way its about to go out the dang door...so all who want a complete setup in the near future ur time MIGHT be coming!!!!!!! thank you for reading my diary lol
Old 01/07/2008, 09:18 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Go ahead and vent.

We have all been there just when you think your going to toss the tank and exhausted everything it starts to clear up. Why? No action you do today will fix the problem tomorrow. Go slow. It takes time for the nutrients to be removed. Since you have done all these things rather quickly, try doing regular interval water changes with good RO/DI water. This will cut you nutrients down. Hold back on the food(every other day). Give them a total of less food but spread it out over the day. Fish are opportunist, if theres food they eat, then poop. Whatever they don't eat breaks down into great food for the algae. Sometimes the algae will make balloon looking bubbles that are just weird looking. Cut out the source of food and do some water changes and with the other fixes it will come along. It takes time. My 75 gallon tank has finally stabilized after 1.5 years.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:29 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Josh- how often are you feeding? When my 55 was up, I fed about every third day. They would pick at the rocks the rest of the time. If you only have two fish in there, I might even go more than three days. Oh, and gimme a call about some snails.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

yea i feed a very minute amount cause nemo is the only one that eats it and i have watched him, he only lets a small piece or two fall down and the wrasse gets that....tommorrow im going to get them molly joe (i know i have said i was going to get em but im lazy haha) so thats my goal for sure for tommorrow i just cant wait to see my rocks again!
Old 01/08/2008, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Emo,
I got some chaeto coming for you at the meeting, for your fuge. or just stick a ball of it in the tank high, between rock to see the light. should out compete the hair in time and starve it out.

I figure your tank has little means of exporting nitrates, while on the other hand it's very good at turning waste into nitrates. what is your nitrate level?

That reading may be misleading. it could very likely be ZERO nitrates/phosphates since the hair eats it all up fast. so you need to start a race. the tortoise and the haire. or is that chaeto and the hair. and maybe something else too.

an increase in internal tank flow can reduce those bubbles. pre slime emmitting oxygen bubbles. if you have a maxi jet pump, any size , you can turn it into a 1600 GPH smooth flow monster with one of those conversion kits. The local store here has em .

send me a PM if you want me to pick one up for you for the meeting. they dont cost much. but wow, lots of flow. i got one in the 75, great! the flow will help the chaeto and macro eat the waste faster too.

dont give up. just convert the stagnant pool to an exporter.
Old 01/08/2008, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Don't give up! I almost have numerous times! I was thinking about selling everything off yesterday and look what I came home with today!

Totally changed my mind about the hobby!
Old 01/08/2008, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

alrigt tommorrow when the lights are on imma take a pic of my tank and then you guys can tell me what u think it wont be the best since it will be with my sidekick but its a pic non the less
Old 01/09/2008, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

here ya go...best i could do with what i had ........

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 01/09/2008, 06:39 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Actually thats not too bad. Your sand is pretty clean. I don't think I would pull it yet because the hair algae is using up nutrients. As it slows and starts to die because of lack of nutrients/ then I would start pulling it out. Also get with ken and get those macro algae. They tend to grow faster then the hair algae and will use up the nutrients.
Old 01/09/2008, 08:22 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Mollie
Old 01/09/2008, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

^^^^^ i keep saying imma go but i just never get there
Old 01/09/2008, 09:58 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Are you around this weekend? I might go get the stock tank. I have to figure out what to do with the cats.

Anyone want a cat? Or two?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

if i could id take a cat...but this weekend no....i have a hockey game the 13th at the wachovia spectrum....the following weekend i should be though
Old 01/10/2008, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

i thought you were going to put a shark in the stock tank ... hang onto the cats for a bit .... they make good bait
Old 01/10/2008, 05:06 PM
Delaware Reef Club

Quote:
Originally posted by ronert
i thought you were going to put a shark in the stock tank ... hang onto the cats for a bit .... they make good bait
Thats a great point. I might have to chop them up a little first.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

thats nasty
Old 01/11/2008, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Why are you getting rid of your cats? I would take them but already have 3 and a dog, and were getting my sisters two also, so I live in a zoo already. What stock tank are you getting and what is the plan? Sharks?

emonemo420, I have a refugium and I have never had a problem with hair algae, never knew that could be the reason why. What is your lighting like? Are the bulbs old?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:53 AM
Delaware Reef Club

Quote:
Originally posted by DamnPepShrimp
Why are you getting rid of your cats? I would take them but already have 3 and a dog, and were getting my sisters two also, so I live in a zoo already. What stock tank are you getting and what is the plan? Sharks?
5 Cats Are you insane. Your a male version of the wacko women who starts with one and then animal controll gets called because there are 100.

Of course if the amount of tanks you have stacked around is any clue, you'll be at 50 in a month.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

This has your name written all over it!
https://shop.theanimalrescuesite.com...&origin=147140

I know a lady with 10 adopted stray cats. i keep telling her, just 2 more and you can officially be rated as one of those kooky old cat ladys, down the block.

while you are at it, you can click on the animal rescue site and click a free donation of critter food.

http://www.thehungersite.com/clickTo...s_home_sitenav

and all the other sites, hunger, cancer, kids, litter-acy, tree-huggin and feed the critters too. you click, sponsors donate. easy as pie.
Plug.