Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/13/2006, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

Radiata Lionfish not doing well

Hi all,

I made all the mistakes. Yesterday, I purchased my 4" Radiata at LFS, not only did I not see it eat, but it was disinterested. (LFS said it was full). Some of its spikes were worn off at the tips (lfs said due to shipping and they would grow back). I knew better but I fell in love with him. I have a 9" volitans who studies him intensely but has not bothered him.

Today, Radiata is hiding squashed, between my powerhead and overflow. He's alive because I made him come out (I thought he was dead) and I think he got scraped in the process. I tried to catch him to put him into a quarantine tank but was not successful. He ended back up above powerhead.

Question: 1. Should I leave him alone. I don't want to stress him more. 2. Should I try to get him to eat. 3. If he comes out and he's injured my passer angel will harrass him.

tx for all input. I should have listened to my instincts!

ag
Old 08/13/2006, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

If you can get the lion in quarantine than I would.

Your best bet is to read the lion info sheet, http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php look at Radiata to see the proper care & feeding. This sheet includes everything from Species, Nutrition to Diseases and Health Problems.

Read here first to see if you can determine what is going on with your lion.........

Kaye
Old 08/13/2006, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

sorry to hear that,i hope the radiata pulls thru.they are one of the most striking of the lions imo.good luck
Old 08/13/2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

I have read that section on the care of the radiata and found it very helpful. I will try him on some ghost shrimp initially after I move the powerhead. If he doesn't eat I'll let him hide there again for a day or two then try to catch him to quarantine him. I'm afraid if I stress him too much he'll drop dead on me. Poor guy! At least he's safe there.

Sound okay?

Ag
Old 08/14/2006, 02:38 AM
Registered Member

get him into a QT ASAP. if he is stressed/injured there is a chance he can infect your tank. qt him where yo ucan keep a closer eye on him and the other fish cant bother him. treat with maracyn 2. this stuff is by far the best medicine I have ever used and will go a long way towards reviving an ailing fish.
Old 08/14/2006, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

I have him qt. The box says fin and tail rot. He doesn't have that. Just his back end is scrape (I believe from the powerhead he squeezed himself behind). He does look pretty beat up though. I don't think he is going to make it. He didn't eat the ghost shrimp though he did make a feeble attempt at one. He looked too weak. Should I use the medicine or something else? I put in Stesszyme. He doesn't move unless I tickle his spines. I didn't think he'd make the night. Also, I don't have a light on the tank.

ag
Old 08/14/2006, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

maracyn is a vitamin/antibiotic cocktail. it is good for far more than fin and tail rot. trust me on this I have seen it bring fish back from the nearly dead.
Old 08/15/2006, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Started using it yesterday. Believe me, I'm open to all advice. He made it through another night. I just wish he would eat.