Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/08/2007, 11:47 PM
I'm smooth and creamy.

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11321655#post11321655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
i worked as a courier for Fedex for 5 years.. its all about the driver... some will go out of their way.. some wont...
You are so right. I've been really lucky with all my deliveries -- both Fed Ex and UPS.

Heck one time I was getting something from Foster and Smith, and when the driver ( Fed Ex ) got to my door, he was sweating, which I found odd because it was winter. I asked him about it, he said that the back of the trucks get cold, so he made sure that the heat was up high to keep the back of the truck warmer for my package.

Another time was shortly after my knee surgery, so I answered the door with one crutch. The driver (( different one then above )) offered to bring the package inside for me.
Old 12/09/2007, 12:58 AM
Registered Member

IM THE SHIPPING MANAGER WHERE I WORK. IN WEST TENNESSE UPS IS BY FAR THE BEST CARRIER. THEY HAVE MORE TERMINALS & BETTER SERVICE THAN ANYONE AROUND. BUT I ALSO HAVE THE LUXUARY OF DAILY DELIVERY & SAME DRIVER. WHEN TRACKING PACKAGES UPS IS MOST UPDATED SERVICE.. NEVER HAD A LIVESTOCK ORDER NOT ARRIVE ON TIME. HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH FEDEX SEVERAL TIMES. I TRY NOT TO USE IF POSSIBLE ON SHIPPING OR RECEIVING, BUT OTHERS THINK THEY ARE GREAT, JUST MY 2 CENTS
Old 12/09/2007, 06:53 AM
Premium Member

There are always going to be occasional messups with either FEDEX or UPS. It is always best not to ship when there are snow storms likely to cause airline delays. I have a relationship with my FEDEX driver but not with my UPS driver. My success rate is high with both.

~Steve~
Old 12/09/2007, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

I have been shipping fish for 4 months now..Fed Ex always got the fish to their destination within the specified time....just recently I packed a box to seattle...it got held up for some reason for 30 hours....I packed the fish with twice the size bag,water and oxygen that is normally used so when I got a call from the person I sent the package to saying that everything is fine...all the fish are alive and well...I litterally jumped for joy....if your gonna send livestock via Fed Ex,UPS,DHL make sure you tell the company packing the fish to pack heavy(larger bag,more water,more oxygen...just in case!!! because no matter how good a company might be....everyone makes mistakes and you dont want that mistake to be your package....just friendly advice all the way from Hawaii....Aloha
Old 12/09/2007, 07:53 AM
Garbologist

This could probably go on forever...... it's like Bebo77 said, so much of it is about the driver. That's true in most any service related business. Bottom line maybe is it's not who you use, it's what your address is?

snorvich makes a great point, also. I had livestock shipped to me for years. Before ordering I would always take into consideration temps in the city where the order originated, where the package stopped (ie Memphis for most of FedEx) and what my home temp would be. Less that 45-50 in any of those areas or with fear of poor weather it was a no brainer to wait on my order. Things happen, good companies mess up, but so much of it is just plain common sense on your own part.

Do not order online unless you are prepared for and can accept (get over) the worst. It does happen.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 12/09/2007, 01:27 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Just a few days ago I was right here at my laptop in my living room, which is MAYBE 18' from the front door. I was trolling any and every thread I could here on RC and all of a sudden I hear a bit of a clunk, then a ruffle and a louder metallic shlonk at the front door. I go to the door, open it and look out. What do I see but a UPS guy getting back in his truck. I look down at the front stoop to see if he MAY have left something at my door. Why yes, yes he did. It was a box of heat packs that I had ordered a few days prior. The UPS guy went to great lengths to cover up my box with the door mat and a couple of newspapers that were laying on the stoop.

Why didn't he just knock and save the hassle?

On another note I have watched BOTH UPS and FEDEX bring a live coral package to the door, set it down and leave WITHOUT even knocking. HHHMMMMMM
Old 12/10/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
This could probably go on forever...... it's like Bebo77 said, so much of it is about the driver. That's true in most any service related business. Bottom line maybe is it's not who you use, it's what your address is?
I've been lucky as both drivers I've had take very good care of my packages. I actually brought the first one into my house to take a look at my aquarium & this gave him a greater appreciation for taking care of my deliveries. My second and current driver just does a great job. I've had enough deliveries that she knows me enough to take take of my packages.

I rarely order over the winter months, as mentioned above it's an extra risk you're taking. When I have done this, I picked up the packages at the Fedex facility myself. This is one way to eliminate the driver out of the equation.
Old 12/10/2007, 06:27 PM
Registered Member

With great interest I have been reading the mixed reviews of the various carriers. Seem like most of the problems are with the drivers. I live in a Detroit suburb.
Both Fedex and UP drivers are regulars unless they are off. Besides fish and corals I also raise orchids. One time the UPS driver saw me on one of the main streets and honked her horn and waved me over. She had a package on the truck for me.
I usually try to have package delivered to me on my two days off during the week(M-F) that I have off every month. If I am running errands I will leave a note for them and they will put parcel behind shrubs to keep out of the sun
USPS will leave me a note and take package back to post office so when I get back I can pick it up right away.
Why not use locations that will Hold for Pickup. There is a small Fedex Kinko's near me where I have package delivered if I am going to be at work when I arrive.
By mistake I had a package of many tubes of super glue bought on EBay sent to secondary address which is their address. Package sent by USPS. Somehow it defaulted to their address.
Contacted their manager and she told me they dont get that much mail and only pick it up every 1 or 1.5 weeks from their box. She left the store immediately and went after their mail. Contacted me an hour later and let me know they had the package.
Can't get back to beginning of this thread as I am writing this but the person in Bushkill ,Pa has a Fedex location in Budd Lake, NJ
43 miles away (55 min per mapquest). This might be an option especially if getting a large amount of livestock.