Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Sexy Sarcophytum

I just ordered this:

Is that hot or what?

-R
Old 11/05/2007, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

Awesome! May I ask where you ordered from?
Old 11/05/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

It's from Dr. Mac, Pacific East Aquaculture.

He's selling another red one, but mine is nicer

-R
Old 11/07/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

LOL, why am I not surprised to see you in this thread, basset?

Very nice color, would look pretty nice next to my Fiji, and green polyp...

You'll have to post a pic once you get it established in your tank Lancer.
Old 11/07/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

You know me gh0st! Always on the look out for the unique. BTW I am picking up a nice aussie elegance coral (this one is doing great in captivity) this weekend... and a few other beauties
Old 11/11/2007, 02:26 AM
Registered Member

Well it turned out to be just another brown Sarcophyton...use your own judgment when buying anything from www.pacificeast.com.

-R
Old 11/12/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

Is my monitor mis-adjusted?

To me, the Sarcophyton in the photo linked above looks distinctly red, but Dr. Mac says "The photo is brown, not red."

Thx,
-R
Old 11/12/2007, 08:51 PM
RC Sponsor

We looked at the coral togther and I told you it was brown and you said fine I'll still take it. It was never described as red, was not red, and we looked at it together and I told you it was not red. This coral is never red, never seen one red and not sold to you as red.
Old 11/12/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Dr. Mac,
I am not trying to be argumentative. As I told you, I am entirely to blame for accepting the piece.

If my monitor is out of whack, I need to know that.

-R
Old 11/12/2007, 09:19 PM
RC Sponsor

No problem. Pics can vary, it was not described as Red and we looked at it together and I told you it was brown and you said OK it is brown and I'm fine with that. Do you not recall the conversation?
Old 11/13/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Looks redish brown to me...like clay?? lol.

Also, have you considered the fact that almost every leather is different? And given time under nice lighting (or poor for that matter) its color can and WILL change drastically? I got a toadstool from a friend and when i got it it was mostly a brown color throughout. It was similar to the one you pictured, but not as redish. Now almost a year later after being under nicer lighting (and for the past 6 months MUCH nicer lighting...t5's) it looks completely different. Its bright gold with white polyps. Its not a fiji yellow, just a toadstool with very nice color
Old 11/13/2007, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

All,
I would like to publicly apologize to Dr. Mac. I looked at the pic of the Sarcophyton at several monitors at work, and it is more brown than red...so my monitor at home is indeed misadjusted.

That doesn't excuse the fact that I over-reacted after getting buyer's remorse, and for that I'd like to apologize again.

Pacific East has a great reputation, so please disregard my comments above about "use your own judgment."

-R
Old 11/15/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Well if that is brown then I'm colorblind... Looks more red than brown in my eyes. Not that it changes anything...
Old 11/17/2007, 02:53 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I know.

I just got tired of arguing with them.

Great customer service would have been to offer me a refund...which I would have refused, since it was my fault for not refusing the coral.

*Decent* customer service would have been saying, just once, "We're sorry that you weren't happy with your order."

The customer service, if you can call it that, that I got from them was repeated e-mails that can be best summed up as "you are wrong and we are right."

-R
Old 11/17/2007, 04:10 AM
RC Sponsor

I don't think we ever argued about it at all. I have not communicated with you at all since you posted an apology in this thread and I assumed the issued was over. If you want a refund I will do it today.

One more time so everyone can understand:
You bought a coral from my web site and I delivered it to you at a club meeting. The coral was not labeled as red when on my site and not sold to you as a red coral, I have never seen a red leather and never called one red. When you picked it up you mentioned the word red and at that very moment I immediately told you it was not red it is brown and we both looked at the coral. We looked at it and agreed it was in fact brown and I asked you if you still wanted it even though it was brown and you said yes I am sure it will be just fine. We were at the meeting for hours and you never said a word to me about the coral, I would have gladly taken it back from you had you said something to me. At the time of the sale I assumed you were happy with the purchase, us having discussed the fact that you thought the coral looked red on my site and me telling you if it looked red that was inaccurate and here is the coral right here lets both look at it together and we both agreed it was in fact brown and you were fine with that. After the meeting you emailed me and said you showed the coral to others at the meeting and all agreed it was brown. OK, yes I told you that we had both agreed upon this already face to face at the meeting and if you had any issues they were not the ones to speak to I was still at the meeting and you should have said something to me and I would have taken care of it on the spot.

You are now dissatisfied with the coral and I will refund your money. That is not an issue, the fact that you thought the coral was red and the first moment I heard that I told you it was not and asked you if you still wanted it and you agreed it was brown and you were fine with that. I apologize if the photo did not accurately show the color of this coral. It was not labeled as red and I was in no way trying to sell it as a red coral, if anything the photo is probably a bit dark and this could cause it to look reddish, but it looked brown to me on my site and this coral had been on the site for several weeks, it was simply described as a leather coral and looked brown to me, had it been truly red I would have labeled it as red. If you told me at the meeting there was any issue at all I would have done whatever you desired. When I spoke to you at the meeting at the time of the purchase we had both agreed it was brown, had been sold as brown, and you were happy with your purchase.

Last edited by Dr. Mac; 11/17/2007 at 04:26 AM.