Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/21/2006, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

should i add more flow?

i was wondering if it would benefit at all if i were to add more flow to my tank

as of currently i have a 180 mixed reef but i wanna start focusing more on sps .... i have a few already such as a blue milli, valida, green slimer, monti digi, green stag, and some other blue acro

all seem to be doing good but i was wondering if i should add more flow to the tank for the sps

i have a sequence Dart running my CL with an Oceans Motion 4 way pump says it does 3600gph with no head i had the return come straight back up from a 2" PVC pipe and 1.5" out so im thinkin that the flows gotta be around 3000gph

then my return pump is a panworld 100px-x which is at about 1300gph but with all the plumming and such im thinking its returning at about 900 gph so thats putting me around 4000 gph in a 180 which is a little over 20x's turnover

i have a spare Seio 1500 laying around and was wondering if i should put it in the tank would the extra 1500gph help??

thanks

MASVC member
Old 05/22/2006, 02:07 AM
Just some guy, You know?

I say "why not?" I don't know what you are looking for this addition of flow to "help", but I do know that SPS love flow, like to have their pylops always sortof shifting around, and since you have the pump already, go ahead and use it.

Of course they don't really like linar flow, so don't just point the pump right at them.

HTH,
Whiskey
Old 05/22/2006, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

thats what i was kinda of thinkking ill add it for a while and see if it seems to help at all....

i didnt wanna add it cuz i like the clean look my CL gives but at the same time i know sps love flow and i didnt know if 22x's turnover was enough this was guna add like another 8x's to that alone and bring me around 30 i think im guna time it to come on with my lights

yeah i wont aim it right at any particular coral just more towards the top half of the tank

thanks

MASVC member
Old 05/24/2006, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

flow

Murph-
I was just thinking of when i added my S. 1500-first of all I made a bracket out of clear acrylic and bolted it to the acrylic top with a stainless steel bolt after the suction cups came loose a few times and fell on some corals . But I directed it to reflect off the front and it created some nice flow which really caused the polyps to extend more than before. Hope you have better luck hanging it than me lol
Old 05/24/2006, 01:10 AM
Registered Member

yeah i know im affraid its guna break lose its done that b4 in my old tank and it can really cause some problems if it falls down in the sand and such

MASVC member
Old 05/24/2006, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

seio

Let me know if you want more info on how I attached mine. You would think they would come up with a better way to mount these but I figured it was better than paying the $ for the tunze. Its a po'mans Tunze lol
Old 05/24/2006, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

exactly!

thats y i got it cuz it was alot less than a tunze

how did u mount yours let me see?

they have some new magnetic clip thing thats offered at marinedepot.com and it will hold it but it cost $35

the stupid suction cups only work for a few days then pop off they go i just made sure tonight that they were still on securely

MASVC member
Old 05/24/2006, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

seio

I had a piece of acylic that was about 6 inches and it had another piece that was 90 degrees (so it made and "L" shape). I super glued the long end of the L to the flat part of the adjustable pivot piece thats included with the kit. I then bolted the short end of the L to the top of the tank support. This way I can angle it in "ANY" place in the tank. You might be able to make this work with the parts in the kit. It's been in use for 4 months and I've been happy as can be with it, not to mention it doesnt look so awkward as the goofy suction cups and brackets they include.If you need pics let me know and I will take some tomorrow.
Old 05/24/2006, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

skimmer

I just noticed your running an ASM G4 skimmer-is it with the 5 or 9000 pump? I have the same one and upgraded it to the recirc. gate valve etc. and wanted to say it was well worth the time and $$. How is yours working for ya?
Old 05/24/2006, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

sounds pretty good id like to copy your idea if u dont mind take some pics for me tomorrow so i can check it out and see how u did id like to not worry about it falling in the sand ever again!

as for my G4 skimmer it has the sedra 5000 pump and it works great as far as my opinion goes.... my sump runs at about 900gph and it seems like the skimmer does a great job....

ive been thinking about doing the recirc mod and seeing how that works if u have any pics of that too that would be greatly appreciated!

i get about 1/4 cup of some smelly crap every 4-5 days....

i dont have a huge fish load as of yet i only have 4 smaller lyertail anthias, mandarin, lawnmower, diamond goby, yellow tang, blue hippo tang, pipe fish, and small yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish.....

i might add some more so i was thinking the recir would work better

MASVC member
Old 05/24/2006, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

skimmer

I will get you some pics tomorrow of the Seio bracket.
You can go to Click here: ASMSkimmer.com Online Store and they have pics of the recirc mods. but their kit is expensive, go to OSH to get your gate valve and pipe (under 20 bucks for everything). I'm running the 9000 pump but the recirc. helped alot considering I have like 2000 gph going through the sump and the tank is only 100 gallons. I'm not heavily stocked with fish as much as corals. I get about 3/4 cup of wet but DARK crud every 3-4 days. I think the feed pump of 200 gph helped a great deal but you should see the entire skimmer body turns white with bubbles. If you get a chance check out the ASM posts under the lighting and equipment section-very informative. I'll get back to you tomorrow, PM me if you have any more questions.