Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Should I use a carbon or DE filter?

It seems to me that I may be the only person who does not use carbon filters in my tanks. It is my understanding that activated carbon filters remove odors. What else do they do? How do they compare to DE? Can I use DE in a bag in my canister filter? How much carbon should I use and how often should the filters be changed? Can the carbon be reactivated by drying and heating in the oven?

I would appreciate any help on this.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Hey Owen! I don't run carbon either, but I have used it in the past. I know that a lot of people use it to "polish" or clear up their water. It should be changed every 3-4 weeks or so. I'm unsure about "re-activating" it. Hope that little bit of info helps.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Thanks. I'm toying with the idea of using one or a DE.

(I'm surprised to see you over here.)
Old 12/22/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Surprised? Ha ha, I know what you mean. I look at other forums than our own! But yeah, I know..it's funny to stumble across one of our members on another forum.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

Most reefers that use carbon probably do not use it continuously. It can remove trace elements. It removes or helps remove colors, odors, some chemicals and other toxins and some metals as well I believe. Most probably use it occassionally or on a regual schedule for color removal more than anything else. I use it if I suspect the water has a little bit of color to it eventhough it still looks clear, or usually once or twice a month just for a day or two, right before I do a water change.

Buy the good carbon and you dont have to do anything to it. I guess the best, or atleast the one in vogue right now is the ROX.
The Two part solution sells it. I have been using the cheaper type from the two part solution. It works great. I think that Marineland has a carbon that is good and more readily available locally. There is a good article on carbon that I cant find the link for right now. Hopefully someones else has it handy to post.

DE is different in that it is considered a "water polisher" by way of particlulate filtration. Carbon wont remove suspended particles
but DE will. Diatomaceous earth in the aquarium is used to coat a special filter media substrate which holds the DE itself and then the DE creates a very fine micron filter. I dont remember how small the micron size is but I believe that it is down into fractions of 1 micron. Anything larger than that is trapped by the DE which is actually made up of tiny microscopic skeletons of diatoms (an algae).
I dont think it is used much in the reef because it actually traps microscopic particles, some of which serves as food for the corals.
It also isnt/wasnt typically used continuously in the tank because the DE does clog fairly quickly and it wouldnt be necessary for continuous use anyway.

I used DE every couple of weeks for a few hours to a day back years ago when I had FO tanks. It's like carbon in that after you use it you can notice the difference in clarity, kinda like "polishing" the already crystal clear water to a "pristine" state. But I dont think it is used much in the reef because it can remove too much as I mentioned above.

Im not an expert on the microscopic life in a reef tank so hopefully other experts will chime in on whether the DE filters are indeed detrimental to the reef aquarium and any other relevent information.