Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Ozone users!

What are you using for a reactor, skimmer, DYI reactor, etc? Also, how often do you change carbon?
Old 12/05/2007, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

i dose my ozone in to and aquaC protein skimmer. they have an ozone fitting. Change carbon once a week, use smaller amounts. My orp stays in between 350 to 400 mv.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

I didn't realize the carbon needed to be changed that often. Have you noticed more or less skimming, decrease in algae, clarity....?
Old 12/06/2007, 09:22 AM
Registered Member

I have pretty much the same set up. I run the ozone into my Aqua C 180 Ev. I do change the JG fitting every 3 months as they do break down, but I only change the carbon about 1-2 times a month.

You will notice a big difference in clarity. I have kicked around the idea of getting a reactor, but that is one more freaking pump I would need in my already over pumped system.
Old 12/06/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

I know what you mean "one more freaking pump". However, my skimmer is not set up for ozone so I do plan on running a reactor, but I don't know anything about them. I was hoping someone would chime in that does use a reactor.

What brand and size ozone generator do you use?
Old 12/06/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

I have the aqua zone deluxe 200. It is an ok system for the price, but the orp probe sucks.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

I run mine thru a berline classic skimmer the orp is running over 300, water clarity is unbelievable.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

enaly ozone thru a diy recirc skimmer. its t'd into the venturi of the sedra. no carbon here. its on a milwaukee pH/ORP controller set at 350mv. water is really clear, i dont remember there being much of a difference in skimmate when i added the ozone, maybe a little less?
Old 12/06/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

setec69-I will have to look at the aqua zone, I won't need the deluxe as I run a AC III.

ariel47-and all running through a skimmer. How are you passing the air thru carbon?

So far everyone seems impressed w/ clarity, what about skimming?
Old 12/06/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

guido-no carbon and I guess you are still alive, maybe I am overly concerned. The one reason I have held off on running ozone is all the reports on associated health risks. For the sake of my family I do want to make sure I get it right.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

Anyone using a DIY ozone reactor? I want to build one but everytime I ask in the DIY area, I never really get much help. Doesnt seem like a heck of a lot of people use them. I did hear you can make a very simple one out of PVC but I have no idea how.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

I'm with you, I was hoping someone had some info on DIY reactors. I have been able to find a few http://www.thesea.org/reef_aquarium/...tors_ozone.php , but wanted more input.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I have seen that one too and a few more but I was hoping for help from people here. Im not too clear on how easy it is to build a ozone reactor but I have heard it can be done very very simply. Just need to find out how!
Old 12/06/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

I run ozone through my skimmer. You need to use carbon which I change monthly, to avoid potential health problems (ie. cataracts...).

I bought an enaly..cheap and works well. Water clarity is amazing. I skim less now than without O3.

As far as a diy reactor, it is very easy to build one. all you need is a chamber for the water and ozone to mix. if I were to make one, I would make it similar to a phosban reactor. You can use pvc. Get the adapters to make threaded caps on the top and bottom (this way the entire thing can be dissasembled. you will need to tap an input and an output. the output needs to be run into carbon, can be done as a second chamber. ozone and water are pumped in through the inlet and clean water gets dumped out. does this make sense? maybe i'll draw something up for you.
Old 12/06/2007, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Re: Ozone users!

Quote:
Originally posted by spreston
What are you using for a reactor, skimmer, DYI reactor, etc? Also, how often do you change carbon?
I use this unit. http://www.ozonelab.com/products/OLP...ow-through.htm

By far has been nicer than anything Ive tried typicaly found in the hobby.

Don
Old 12/06/2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skriz
I run ozone through my skimmer. You need to use carbon which I change monthly, to avoid potential health problems (ie. cataracts...).

I bought an enaly..cheap and works well. Water clarity is amazing. I skim less now than without O3.

As far as a diy reactor, it is very easy to build one. all you need is a chamber for the water and ozone to mix. if I were to make one, I would make it similar to a phosban reactor. You can use pvc. Get the adapters to make threaded caps on the top and bottom (this way the entire thing can be dissasembled. you will need to tap an input and an output. the output needs to be run into carbon, can be done as a second chamber. ozone and water are pumped in through the inlet and clean water gets dumped out. does this make sense? maybe i'll draw something up for you.
Makes sense but if you could draw something quick up, that would be amazing. Im not the best DIY guy but I would really like to build a simple ozone reactor if possible. Thanks.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

With DIY reactor or any reactor, how do you force the ozone into the water, agaitation, pressure, it just happens, etc.? It also seems you would want a fairly large reactor as to allow for more contact time.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spreston
With DIY reactor or any reactor, how do you force the ozone into the water, agaitation, pressure, it just happens, etc.? It also seems you would want a fairly large reactor as to allow for more contact time.
Yeah thats the other thing I was wondering about but I do remember reading that ozone only last a matter of a few seconds once it hits water, so I don't think the reactor would have to be huge.
Old 12/07/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 12/07/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

i have an enaly unit that i run into my mrc- mr2 skimmer.. i control it through my ac 3 .. i set the parameters at 370 turn on and 385 turn off .... the return water from the skimmer dumps into a filter sock in the fuge ... in that filter sock i have a bag with carbon in it.. i change it every 2 weeks or so.. i also have some carbon in a cup sitting by the skimmer in case any leaks into the air.. there are times i think i can smell it --- not sure if it is just in my head ....lol

i have much better clarity ..... what should the parameters be set at???
Old 12/08/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

yeah im still alive. i used to have a filter sock with carbon in it, on the skimmers exhaust, but got lazy and took it off. the animals didnt appear any different to me. to be safe you should run carbon i suppose. i dont notice mine turning on often, mostly when i stir up the dust thats settled on the live rock - and it runs for an extended period. you can smell it a tad, then. that crisp headache inducing smell lol. the unit i have is rated for 300mg/hr but i think that is very optimistic rating. i am more worried about the CO2 bottle under the tank than the ozone.

skriz
i havent heard that ozone can cause cataracts. i know that UV radiation can and will cause them. perhaps youre confusing the depletion of the ozone layer with this? i suppose if one had a uv powered ozone generator versus a coronal discharge, they could be exposed to the uv. but unlikely. i would like to read more about ozone induced cataracts, if you have a link.
Old 12/08/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

into my skimmer, no carbon
Old 12/08/2007, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
With DIY reactor or any reactor, how do you force the ozone into the water, agaitation, pressure, it just happens, etc.?.
the ozone needs to be fed to the reactor with an airpump. some units have them built in, some do not. in my case, the venturi on the skimmer draws the ozone in. it is t'ed into the skimmers airline tubing. one thing i havent seen mentioned, is the use of an airdryer. this will increase ozone production and prolong the life of cd type generators.
Old 12/08/2007, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

I'm sorry but this is too funny.

Did you finish high school?

Ozone in your tank will not cause cataracts...

You're referring to holes in the ozone layer, within the atmosphere on EARTH.

This has nothing to do with your tank, you will not get cataracts from your tanks ozone.

Does reef central have a "best threads"?

Wait, they have tank of the month...... hahaha.

HAHAHAHAHA
Old 12/08/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

wow .. that was a little harsh.. i have heard of the tank and equipment causing all kinds of strange things ... being mean will not encourage people to ask questions if they think people will laugh at them...

-- back on to the thread -- i am using a home made dryer... if you go to a craft store you can get crystals to dry flowers. i have the airline tube from the ozone unit go into a container with the crystals in it.