Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Live rock / sand at startup

An friend put me in touch with a salt tank guru and after speaking with him, he states the only way to properly start up a new tank is with live sand and rock and using that as biological filtration in conjunction with a sump and skimmer. Considering the size of my tank and the fact I really don't want to invest $1500.00 in rock and sand, is there a less expensive means of start-up like possibly using crushed coral as a bed and a few pounds of live rock to get the tank established?

Can a bed of crushed coral be seeded with bacterias to get a tank started and cycled?
Old 01/06/2008, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

I would not do the crushed coral.
What size tank?
Old 01/06/2008, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

90 gal and i have an old 30 that i plan on seting up as a sump/filter
Old 01/06/2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

I used white play sand.
There might be a better option.
Try looking in the DIY forum for other options.
Check a local reef society for someone selling live rock.
You can use alot of base rock. I would just make sure it
is true reef rock. The live rock will seed all base & sand.
I like to put it all in at once. There is a less of a chance of
having a second cycle.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

You can also see if someone local can help you seed the tank with some sand from their setup.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Any thoughts on undergravel filtration? From what I read some swear by it and others say it's old technology and really serves no purpose. Keep in mind I don't intend to set this up as a reef tank but more of a fish/invert tank.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

I'm starting a 120 gal tank. My plan is mainly use dry rock (much cheaper) and add a few live rock for seeding. I've told after a few months, all dry rock will turn live. I think it's a good way to save some money... if you are patient enough.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

no undergravel fliter no crushed coral it holds nitrate's

yes live sand and rock and using that as biological filtration in conjunction with a sump and skimmer. u dont have to buy it from lfs buy it from some one getting out of hobby $2-3 lb

as far as sand u can get (Pavestone)pulverized limestone from lowes or homedeopt and get a cup or 2 of live sand from some one to seed it

read read read
Old 01/06/2008, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Get one bag of live aragonite sand. The rest dry aragonite sand, the live sand will seed the rest. The general rule is 1 lb of live rock per gallon. You don't have to load the tank with all the live rock immediately. Start off with 25-30 lbs of rock to cycle the tank. You can use uncured rock to cycle the tank. Once the tank is cycled then slowly add cured rock until the desired amount of rock is procured. You haven't stated what size of tank you are going to start.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

Finding someone getting out of the hobby is apparently not as easy as it sounds. Especially not living near a big city. Only a handful of marine enthusiasts in my area. as for sump/skimmer, how big and should I use a refugium or just a sump with skimmer?
Old 01/06/2008, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

My tank is a 90.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

A combo sump refugium is a good idea. For that size tank any where from 30-40gal sump would be good.The Skimmer you will have to do some research to see which size will fit your needs. Euroreef, ASM, Bermuda and Fission come to mind.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Is ther a rule of thumb on size of partitions in a sump/fuge and amount of flow?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/newbie/index.php

Yes, I really do design rockets for a living.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Good timing... I'm putting the RO/DI water, salt and substrate in my tank today. This is what I've got - http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=7326.

I'm ordering my live rock tomorrow and I'm wondering how it would look if I mixed some live sand in with my aragonite? I'm thinking 30-50# in my 125 in addition to of the 80# of the aragonite I have.