Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

Aiptasia next to a mushroom

I only noticed the aiptasia next to the mushroom after I glued the mushroom to the rock. There are three aiptasias and they are very small. If the mushroom flattens itself out it will be touching one or two of them. I tired the lemon juice and needle trick but they came right back. I don't want to harm the mushroom so what can I do about them? The rock has about 5 mushrooms attached so taking the rock out and trying to kill them that way would not work.

How could I go about killing them with out injuring the mushroom?

Thanks
Old 11/29/2007, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Use Joe's Juice with the needle--turn of power heads and pumps and try not to get any on the mushrooms--it won't kill but it burns them.

that said--can you not take the rock out and frag the piece off with the mushrooms on it?
Old 11/29/2007, 10:16 PM
VENI VITI VICI!!!

i had an outbreak of 29 Aps a week after purchasing some Fiji. i got a peppermint shrimp from www.premiumaquatics.com for $9.99, and when i introduced it into the tank it went dirrectly to them and started devouring them one at a time and in about 1.5 weeks they were completely gone and none have returned.
he lived for about two years before he was eaten by my FoxFace Lo, when he got about 5" long. (poor peppy )
Old 11/29/2007, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

I've also used Kalkwasser made into a paste and injected them with success and knock on wood no returns!
Old 11/30/2007, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

i had like this gross aiptasia growin near one of my pretty purple ricordea mushroom thingie and i think it stung it cuz the mushroom was like shrunk down to like one little white dot and so i like freaked out, cuz i noticed like a couple dayz b4 that the aiptasia was gettin close to it but i didn't do anything. so i moved the mushroom hopin that it'll maybe like bounce back from the sting or somethin and in like a day or two the mushroom was happier and it grew out again. i dunno if it really did sting it or not but i haven't seen the rico shroom shrink into a white ball since then. hope that made sense, im like slightly tipsy...

xoxompty
Old 11/30/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Well, the other problem with those aiptasia is that they are so small and very hard to inject with anything since they immediately retract. The hole they are in is tiny too.

I don't want to take the rock out since there are things attached and the rock itself isn't all that big so if I tired to break the rock apart it wouldn't fit well in the tank.

I hate those darn things! I feel bad about purposely killing something, but they are ruining prime real estate!!!
Old 11/30/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

Joe's juice works very well. If all else fails, super glue it maybe..I have done that.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smartang22
Well, the other problem with those aiptasia is that they are so small and very hard to inject with anything since they immediately retract. The hole they are in is tiny too.

I don't want to take the rock out since there are things attached and the rock itself isn't all that big so if I tired to break the rock apart it wouldn't fit well in the tank.

I hate those darn things! I feel bad about purposely killing something, but they are ruining prime real estate!!!
i totally hate them and feel bad bout genociding them but i'm hoping the peppermint shrimp will take care of that. i'll give the lil shrimpies 2 weeks to kill em, otherwise, i go with joe's juice.

i did try the boiling hot water squirty technique, killed maybe 2 of the smaller ones, but the biguns, no. i hate them.

xoxompty
Old 11/30/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

You don't have to fully inject them with the kalk. If they retract, I just cover them and their hole with the kalk. Never had one come back from that.
Old 11/30/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

But what happens to the kalk paste? Does it just sit there or do you eventually remove it from the tank? Or does it just dissolove? I have a small tank and it seems like if I were to do that then it would be too much. I have never used kalkwasser and I am a bit nervous to try it.

I might try that or Joe's Juice now. As far as the peppermint shrimp goes I can't get one. I have a large cleaner shrimp now and he really is large. If I got a peppermint shrimp too I think that would be too many things in the tank.

I might also try gluing over the hole! Or maybe getting a small bit of epoxy. I will try one of those tricks mentioned.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 11/30/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smartang22
But what happens to the kalk paste? Does it just sit there or do you eventually remove it from the tank? Or does it just dissolove? I have a small tank and it seems like if I were to do that then it would be too much. I have never used kalkwasser and I am a bit nervous to try it.

I might try that or Joe's Juice now. As far as the peppermint shrimp goes I can't get one. I have a large cleaner shrimp now and he really is large. If I got a peppermint shrimp too I think that would be too many things in the tank.

I might also try gluing over the hole! Or maybe getting a small bit of epoxy. I will try one of those tricks mentioned.

Thanks for the help!!
kalk--kalk paste dissolves--its concentrated calcium hydroxide so it burns on contact-kills the aptasia and then slowly dissolves.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Where do you get a needle to inject it? What size needle?
Old 11/30/2007, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jadeguppy
Where do you get a needle to inject it? What size needle?
I have a few left over from old salifert test kits or----
any syringe from a drug store or marine store:

eg
http://www.mertons.com/Tools/syringe.html
Old 11/30/2007, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. I have something close to that. I thought some people were using a small tipped needle to inject it into the tissue. I guess i have been doing it correctly.
Old 12/08/2007, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

my aiptasia are gone! the peppermint shrimp ate em!
Old 12/08/2007, 02:00 AM
Aquarium Addict

Joe's Juice or Superglue gel.