Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 02:00 PM
Registered Member

Moving a tank and livestock

We have a 90g tank with 135 lbs live rock, a few fish, some mushrooms and sponges, and tons of xzenias. We bought a new home so we need to move everything. Any suggestions or is there a thread on here or a site where we can find out the best way to accomplish the move smoothly?
Thanks!
Old 11/14/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

I just got done moving two of my tanks over the past month, I took all the rock that didn't have coral on it into buckets with some water, then put all my corals into styros, live sand all went into buckets as well, I put my fish in a bucket with one smaller sized rock, I kept the fish and corals in the car and all the other stuff went into the back of the truck, I did this in 50 degree weather and only a 30 min ride.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

i moved from kentucky, to west virginia, 3 1/2 hrs. i packed every thing just like you get it when you goto to LFS. i used plastic bags, rubberbands, boxes, wet newspaper, five gallon buckets, styro boxes (that i got free from LFS). i packed everthing seperately, saved all but 3 inches of the water, i left all the sand in the tank,packed it on the truck last, took it off the truck first, reset the tank up as soon as i got here, let the water and sand settle, restocked and all this cured a nasty red slime out break that i had been battling for a month. i moved in july by the way. i would think as long as your careful and thoughtful, you shouldnt have much problem.
Old 11/15/2007, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

I agree, with both posts. Just make sure you will have some fresh saltwater made up since you wont be able to keep all of it, as well as sand. I would buy new sand, and save a buckets worth to seed the new sand. Power invertors will work wonders to run heaters and powerheads on the drive.
Old 11/15/2007, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

how long is your move going to be?
Old 11/15/2007, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

When I moved mine from SC to MD I put all live rock in brute trash cans, all corals were bagged one by one and the fish stayed u front in the truck with me in a rubber maid bin in one of the big gold fish bags that LFS get them in. Then every half a state I would let the bad air out and let good air in.