Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Do I realy need skimmer 29 gal tank ?

I don't have much room on back of tank with two power heads, heater, canaster intaks and spraybar return. I do have that film on water surface by the way what is the film? I was looking at the nano tank skimmers in Liveaquaria but the one that goes to a 29 gal doesn't hang on tank.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:44 AM
Registered Member

That was suposed to be 25 gal tank.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Yes I would get one eventually. Nitrates can be apain to bring down.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

Get one for sure.

Coralife Super Skimmer 65 worked great for me. I used it HOB and in sump. I am upgrading to a Euroreef RS80 shortly after the holiday.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

You could get one and if you didn't have a lot of room and no sump you could just hang it on the tank for a few days when it gets that film on it, that is what I did when I had a 12 gal nano and no room for a skimmer, I put it on the side ran it for about 2 days once every week/week and a half, everything seemed to be just fine.
Old 11/30/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

I would get one if i was lazy, but if you are religious about maintenance light bulbs, feedings and water changes... yes water changes, if you dont have a skimmer change like 10 gallon a week.

do like a 5 galon and after 4 days another 5 gallon and you should be ok. that is assuming you have 25 gallon of water.
Old 11/30/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

A skimmer is an insurance ryder for poor maintenance of your tank. I have two of them! If your really good you don't even need one. I am not good so I have two.
Old 11/30/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

That film on the water surface are diferent oils from food, waste atc. Its not good to have it. Skimmer will definitely help to remove that. If to get one? Yes. Its always better than any filter. (I mean in SW tanks).
Old 11/30/2007, 08:52 PM
reef girl

if its the fission nano skimmer, dont bother, it doesnt work well, as for needing one, no you dont need to have one if you are good with your water changes and keep up on your params you should be ok, I have two 24 gal reef tanks and neither of them have a skimmer

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!