Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Green Hair Algae

I have a real problem right now with green hair algae. Whats the best way to eradicate this problem which started approx 6-8 months ago. Tank was great before then all of a sudden drastic problem.
Old 11/26/2007, 05:48 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

Have you had your water tested? nitrates? phosphates? Anything new added recently? Are you using RO/DI water with your water changes? What's in the tank?

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 11/26/2007, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Have you replaced any lighting, upgraded or have old bulbs?
Old 11/26/2007, 06:41 PM
Moved On

reduce light cycle maybe? is your flow good?
Old 11/26/2007, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Everyone covered the main issues of that problem.

Like MalHavoc staated...

Check nutrients. Nitrates high? Phosphates high? (Reduce feedings, increase water changes, Use RO/DI water, etc.)

imyoraven & Blown 346 stated:

FLOW: Is there adequate flow of water? Water current proving enough circulation. Any dead areas collecting debris?

LIGHT CYCLE: Reduce the amount if it is a long period of time. Inspect and/or change out old bulbs.

However, you stated it started several months ago, and has recently exploded. My guess is nutrient levels. Reduce these with reduced feedings, increase water changes with RO/DI water based solutions, and the addition of some added macro algae that helps use them up.

My guess is nutrients. Had the same problem once.
Old 11/26/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Just finished ridding my tank of algae. Pulled bunches and bunches out by hand, Increased the number of snails and crabs, added a phosban reactor, kept cleaning out the filter floss, ran the skimmer heavy, and added a couple of grazers. Within a month...no algae.
Old 11/26/2007, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Adequate water changes

A good skimmer

phosban reactor

Fuge with macro

reduce amount you feed
Old 11/27/2007, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone, just to recap i'm going to increase the water changes to once a week, crank up my skimmer, increase the number of snails and crabs, my only question now is what is a phosban reactor i don't have one of those, also some of you said you added grazers is that fish that eat the algae or is it something else. Thanks again
Old 11/27/2007, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

The easiest way to deal with algae was mentioned above. Don't underestimate its power. It works!

To quote Salamander: "reduce amount you feed"
Old 11/27/2007, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dvrdwn10
Thanks everyone, just to recap i'm going to increase the water changes to once a week, crank up my skimmer, increase the number of snails and crabs, my only question now is what is a phosban reactor i don't have one of those, also some of you said you added grazers is that fish that eat the algae or is it something else. Thanks again
For more information on phosban reactors refer to this thread:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1259051
Old 11/27/2007, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
You never did answer the question"are you using RO/DI water?".
I don't care how many water changes you do,you'll just be throwing gas on an aready growing wildfire.
Adding a phosban reactor is like slamming the barn door after the horses are out........and then keep slamming it for nothing.
Listen,if you think you're going to add a phosban reactor to clean your tap water after putting it in the tank........good luck!
HA and other nuisance algae take up phosphate ASAP.Even before most test will even register it.
So if you are using RO/DI water.......good for you.
If not.......we'll be hearing from you again soon.
Old 11/27/2007, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

Re: Green Hair Algae

Quote:
I have a real problem right now with green hair algae. Whats the best way to eradicate this problem which started approx 6-8 months ago. Tank was great before then all of a sudden drastic problem.
Scrape it all off, put it in a baggie with a half a cup of water and mail it to me i LOVE HAIR ALGAE i think it looks great!

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton
Old 11/30/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

I'm using water from water softener. I was told that should be ok. Hey stingything45 are you saying that the type of water is the whole problem that i'm having here. No i don't have RO water? I didn't realize that RO was that important.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

When my tank had a problem I added more clean up crew and then a sea hare, damn that thing was cool he ate like a pig! too bad it was a female and about two weeks after I got it, it laid eggs and died!! Just my luck that they pulled a preggo hare and I got it I read on the net that after they lay eggs they die, so needless to say I wont get another, just because I tend to have bad luck..lol
Old 11/30/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Opps double post, sorry