Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/29/2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation skimmer problems

everything seems to be working right on my skimmer but it isn't skimming anything. when i got home today it was bubbling at the surface of the skimmer but the bubbles were just going away like it was running just ro/di water. its not skimming anything.

anyone know what the problem could be? i thought that the pump might have been clogged or something so i took it appar and it seems fine.

the tank is a 90g with 115 lbs of LR two shrimp and a clean up crew and some softies.
Old 11/29/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Some skimmers take about 2 weeks to start to work properly. You can try to addjust air intake and flow thrue the skimmer (I think you did that). What kind of skimmer you have?
Old 11/29/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

i tried messing with the air intake, even took the valve off but no luck. skimmer seemed to be working great the last month and a half. i added a auto topoff yesterday but dont think that would make any difference. the skimmer is a proclear aquatics rated for 150g
Old 11/29/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Re: skimmer problems

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo78
everything seems to be working right on my skimmer but it isn't skimming anything. when i got home today it was bubbling at the surface of the skimmer but the bubbles were just going away like it was running just ro/di water. its not skimming anything.

anyone know what the problem could be? i thought that the pump might have been clogged or something so i took it appar and it seems fine.

the tank is a 90g with 115 lbs of LR two shrimp and a clean up crew and some softies.
I am experiencing same thing. About same set up with bio load. Skimmer isnt doing anything but pumpn water back out....
Old 11/29/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

If your load is low or no bio load then it may not collect. If you have stock and the skimmer is new then it needs a few days to break in.
If theres load and its been running for a few days then the intake pump maybe to low or to high.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

My skimmer took at a few hours before I Started to see the biowaste, but a few days to see its full potential. Its a Euro Reef BTW
Old 11/29/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

It took me about a week with fish to get some stuff in my cup
Old 11/29/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

i was gtting stuff in my cup before, it just seems to have stopped collecting.
Old 11/29/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

How old is your tank? How many fish? What type of skimmer?
Old 11/30/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jimbo78
i was gtting stuff in my cup before, it just seems to have stopped collecting.
I adjusted my intake and water levels....now its producing more skim than I can imagine. Maybe you changed your water levels like I did...........
Old 11/30/2007, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Mine wont skim good or will over flo if the level of water changes at all, we put a spout on mine so when it does over flow it goes into the tank, but it is not skim over flowing just tank water.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beansandmia
Mine wont skim good or will over flo if the level of water changes at all, we put a spout on mine so when it does over flow it goes into the tank, but it is not skim over flowing just tank water.
Lower the intake speed. raise the pump......try that
Old 11/30/2007, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

mine is working fine now . i cleaned the skimmer when i cleaned the pump, i guess it just needed time to catch up.
thanks for the replies everyone