Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/30/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

Moving...how to transport the LR

We are moving into a new house this weekend and I need to move my tank (55gallon) The LR would only be out of the water for at most 1 hour..would it be OK to wrap it in wet paper or towels? I cant afford to cycle the tank again but I dont know what else to do...I am able to take about 30 to 40 gallons of the water that is in the tank. What would the best/easiest way to transport the rock be? For livestock I only have a branching frogspawn, GBTA and a sand-sifting goby.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

This evening I'm selling some live rock to someone who will have in his car a large plastic tote container with saltwater. I would think the wet towels would suffice (bacteria after all is pretty hardy) but to be sure the container with water is another option.
Old 11/30/2007, 09:17 AM
Registered Member

I agree with amazd, wet paper towel works well. or just get some buckets fill it with the LR then add your tank water then the rock that is above water you could put the wet paper towel on. GL with the move
Old 11/30/2007, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I got some shipped in wet newspaper
Old 11/30/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

I would try your best to cover it in water if possible. An hour is not that long but its better safe than sorry. The amount of die off in an hour would at most cause a mini cycle which really wouldnt be an issue.
Old 11/30/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

I dont think that I can cover it in water...the pieces of LR are show-sized..so they wont fit in a 5gallon bucket...and I have a bad shoulder so I cant lift a rubbermaid tote filled with water...
Old 11/30/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Try to put the LR in a large Rubbermaid (or a few smaller and more managemable ones for shoulder's sake), cover with paper or cloth towels, and then soak them with water. Optimum would be for the ends of the towels to be in the water, to wick it up over the rock and keep it a little more damp. Put the lid on. They can handle a low tide for a while, but they won't do as well if they dry out. I've made a trip of a few hours this way without too many issues (other than the standard moving ones of pulled muscles and scraped knuckles).

I know this is late in the game, but it would actually be *best* if you could devote a day to this alone, getting the live things moved and settled and then move the rest of the household goods. It makes for a few more trips, but the livestock appreciates it.

I'm sure it goes without saying that you should have the water pre-mixed and ready to go at the new location (40 Rubbermaid Brute would be perfect for your 55). You could even put the rock in the Rubbermaid with a powerhead or two while you complete your move.

Cheers and have a safe move,
Ray
Old 11/30/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

I plan on dedicating a full day to moving the tank...I figured it would take time to get the stand in and level...then the tank...
So I really dont have to take the water with me..I can just have new water mixed and temp-matched at the new house and use that...That would make it so much easier than trying to transport 55 gallons of water...
Old 11/30/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

rubbermaid tub(s) and the towel soaked in water will work great
Old 12/01/2007, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Buy a 50 gallon garbage can on wheels from WalMart. When I moved my 75 gallon the longest my LR was outside of water was going from the tank to the can.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

I just moved and transported my live rock in a 45g rubbermade trash can with water from my tank. Just make sure the temperature is stable, a lot of my coralline has bleached out and died because the heater malfunctioned while it sat in the can. Oh well, waiting never hurt anyone. Oh and I thought I would only take one hour to move and it ended up being three. Plan well!
Old 12/01/2007, 09:35 PM
Registered Member

Just be sure not to spin your rock around, it will make the creatures that live in it dizzy and they might get sick and that wouldn't be good at all.
Old 12/01/2007, 10:02 PM
Aquarium Addict

Rubbermaid tub with maybe a couple of gallons of your water and maybe some wet newspapers.
Old 12/01/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

If you got a pick up 2 rubbermaids 2covers 2 5s ITs all over.