Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/15/2007, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Is this the place you're allowed to rant?

I work for a trucking company, im the afterhours guy, all around troubleshooter for the company...this is a story about the type of person out on the road with YOU, with 80,000lbs strapped to his back. You people have no idea how hard it is for me to keep a civil tongue in my head, let alone not to let contempt show in my voice or on my face.
I just had a driver in here who wanted to know where to go to get an empty trailer to go pick up his load. I told him without one being here on the yard, he needed to run over to a company here in town to pick one up.

Driver (D): oh, I cant go over there
Me (M): well, here let me get directions…
D: no, its…its too dark.
M:….>cocking head slightly askew<
D: when its dark, its hard to find places…
M: ….you know…you are going to have to go places in the dark. Its one of the things that as a truck driver, you need to do.
D: well, you know it just gets confusing….
M: ok, well the place isn’t hidden behind bushes, theres a sign and everything, so if theres not one here on the yard, you need to go over there to get one.
Driver leaves. Now, don’t you think I should get an award for keeping a straight face and not drilling into this guy? Don’t you think ANYONE should get an award for not doing so? Maybe im just greedy and expect too much.

Want to hear some more? He got up to his pick up in fort wayne at 2a.m. and couldn’t find the trailer he was supposed to get. Called my cell.
Me: have you gotten out of the truck and talked to anyone?
D: well, the trailer they said to get isn’t on the lot.
M: it’s a 24 hour establishment, get out and go talk to someone.
D….but if the trailers not here…
M: >angry< then it was probably put on another trailer. The load didn’t cancel, it didn’t disappear, no one stole it, you need to GET OUT OF THE TRUCK. I am hanging up now. Get out of the truck, go up to the door. If the door is closed, open it. If the door is locked, knock on it. If you’re calling me expecting me miracle the trailer out of the phone, I cant help you. Go talk to someone there.
D: Ok, ok….damn
M: and in the future, the after hours phone is to be used if you have a problem you cant fix yourself. Im not here to do your job for you, im here to help you do your job.

I'm not thinking this is acceptable~dc

Last edited by dc; 11/15/2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11/15/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

holy five line rule violation!
Old 11/15/2007, 04:56 PM
Reeferus Horribilus

Re: Is this the place you're allowed to rant?

Quote:
Originally posted by ooba
No, I'm sorry that is not possible. Is there anything else I can be helping you with?
Old 11/15/2007, 04:57 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Wow, I thought it would be a civil rant until I read the end!

IBTL or IBTE (e=edit)
Old 11/15/2007, 05:01 PM
Registered Member

sorry, i get irritable with 2am questions unless they actually need help.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:04 PM
in the bathtub

Quote:
Driver (D): oh, I cant go over there
Me (M): well, here let me get directions…
D: no, its…its too dark.
M:….>cocking head slightly askew<
D: when its dark, its hard to find places…
M: ….you know…you are going to have to go places in the dark. Its one of the things that as a truck driver, you need to do.
D: well, you know it just gets confusing….

Quote:
*EDITED*
OK you get eggrolls.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."

Last edited by dc; 11/15/2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

well, sorry, i thought that the first exchange was amusing, truck drivers depart from logic quite a bit. but waking me and my wife up at 0200 because he was too lazy to get out of the cab really pushed me over a bit.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

the sad thing is that the driver training places, don't teach these drivers to do anything for themselves anymore. they teach them the basics and out the door the go with a CDL.

Amy
Old 11/15/2007, 05:16 PM
Team RC Member

Aaaannnnndddd----he's out there on the roads hauling that load and has to read things like Bridge Clearance 13.4 at fairly high speeds....

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

No kidding! We train guys here, they go thru a few weeks traing and then a few weeks riding with a senior driver....at that point we make certain we dont send them into heavy areas, no major metro, no heavy runs up I90 etc...but then we hire drivers from companies that have gone out of business, and good heavens the guys literally no nothing more than to put the truck in gear and move (big surprise the company folded)! its frightening...more frightening is how many brokers we deal with that try to get us to run the drivers illegal (more than 14 hours). "well, XXX company will do it for us!" My reply is always to point out that just last year here a driver from another company was running illegally, fell asleep crossed traffic and killed a bunch of taylor university students on the way home from an away school function. and that drivers been charged with i cant remember whether it was straight murder or vehicular manslaughtrer.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:33 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

The guy that delivered the truck load of Christmas decorations to my house was running on 3 hours sleep from N.C.
He wanted to unload fast beacuse he had to get to Springfield to pick up a load before he could sleep

Then they tried to charge me an extra $100 because he helped unload

I very politeley e-mailed them that I think he helped unload because he only had 3 hours sleep etc etc

They decided to pass on the unloading charge
Old 11/15/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

I just happy the company I work for does not have company drivers. They are all owner operators. The only ones that you might consider company drivers are the trucks the agents have purchased and put drivers in them. I deal with drayage (railroads) companies now, instead of OTR.

Amy
Old 11/15/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
Aaaannnnndddd----he's out there on the roads hauling that load and has to read things like Bridge Clearance 13.4 at fairly high speeds....
Old 11/15/2007, 06:51 PM
taaa daaa

You should hear what my husband (truck driver) has to say about dispatchers