Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/13/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Reef Balls & Reef Cakes . . .

Has anyone seen them? I saw them on Discovery Channel and plan to get some miniature ones for my Reef tanks... anyone know what they are?
Old 12/13/2007, 08:25 PM
Huge Member

I saw it too, IDK how it'd look in a tank though...

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/13/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

Here are the pictures of them... I'm gonna order them in the morning...

Reef Cakes & Reef Balls
Old 12/13/2007, 09:51 PM
Moved On

I thinkl they would look good once covered with life and coral. The one with the holes would look awesome with GSP imo.
Old 12/13/2007, 09:54 PM
Premium Member

I agree; I think they'd look pretty darn cool once covered!
Old 01/04/2008, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

I got some in and they are VERY sweet! I'm going to try and do a "Zoa Ball" and also a "GSP Ball". Should be fun.

If anyone wants more information about them drop me a PM!

Allen
Old 01/05/2008, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

yeah.. I'd do the small one as a zoa ball... that'd be kinda cool
Old 01/05/2008, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for your input cazzy. That's what I plan to do. My wife wants me to get her a small one for her 6g Nano Cube for that reason.

I have shipped some to several people and thus far everyone who's gotten one is very pleased.

If anyone needs/wants pics let me know. I have all 3 of the balls and 1 of the reef cakes in my 90g tank. The only drawback is it's still DRY awaiting my return pump.

thanks for looking.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Since they are made with a type of concrete do you have to cure them first? I saw the same show (got to love Dirty Jobs) and they look interesting.
(Click my Red House)
Old 01/05/2008, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

No they don't require curing. That's part of the "difference". This company has done a TON of R&D and the last thing they want to do is pollute the very reef they are trying to rebuild. They have some type of "propietary" mix they use that essentially locks the concrete together long term. It's not some "coating" applied that will wear off and allow them to leach into your tank. It's actually IN the mixture. Per the manufacturer they suggest that for the first little bit to NOT add any PH additives as there is a slight amount of "buffer" but it's nothing like raw concrete. I have one in my 10g now and honestly can't register any difference in PH with or without.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

Make em yourself. The mold would be easy just use a toy ball for the mold and some sections of paper towel tube for the holes. Let em dry for a month and then soak them in regularly changed water til the pH goes to 8.6.

DIY rocks
Old 01/05/2008, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rustylugnuts
[B]Make em yourself. The mold would be easy just use a toy ball for the mold and some sections of paper towel tube for the holes. Let em dry for a month and then soak them in regularly changed water til the pH goes to 8.6.
Why go to that trouble when they are cheap as well as not "chemically inert" like the ones made for the Ocean. Just seems like a lot of effort when you can just order one for cheap plus it's kind of cool with the fact that these are made by the people who make the ones for our natural reefs. Yeah I'm a sucker for accuracy and nostalgia.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

where do you buy them?
Old 01/05/2008, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

These balls look like a very bad idea to me. Without a massive amount of flow in the tank the inside of these balls will turn into a detritus trap. Stuff will accumulate like crazy and your tank will be an algae covered mess. I wouldn't buy these or build anything similar.

Brad
Old 01/05/2008, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Man that's one EXTREME way to express it. How do you account for the nooks & crannies in your rock? I'm not being a pain here but these are designed hollow to allow for hiding and living space for animals to provide safe harbor after storms have destroyed a natural reef. Your clean up crew should take care of any detritus that could get in. Unless you have your tank flow set up to where this is in a "settling area" this wont behave in this manner. In reality they are similar to real live rock with nooks and crannies in which our clean up crew crawls on and out of to keep things clean.

Allen
Old 01/05/2008, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Can't beat 50 cents a pound. After the good soak totally reef safe. I like the visibility the holes in the reef ball design provides. I want my critters to feel safe but I'd also like to see some of the more timid ones more often.
Old 01/05/2008, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Yeah they are amazing "safe haven" for critters in your tank but still allow for SOME viewing.