Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2005, 05:14 PM
reef kid

OMG THATS AMAZING...do you have any updated pics. ?
Old 12/10/2005, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

What a great idea and cool lookin tank. I like the equipment too. Perfect for a little tank like that.
Old 12/10/2005, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
MAreefer1
OMG THATS AMAZING...do you have any updated pics. ?

Thank you MA. That's as updated as it can be. I just did that yesterday. It's a wonderful thing when we get 12" of snow. Not much else to do, except ski, board, tube, build snowmen or igloos, snowball fights.......well I guess there is a lot to do, I just chose this!

Cluckr7
What a great idea and cool lookin tank. I like the equipment too. Perfect for a little tank like that.

Thank you Cluckr7. Took awhile to research the equipment to find the right fit. Thanks for noticing.

Russ
Old 12/11/2005, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

sweet... nice wall....
Old 12/14/2005, 03:30 AM
Blue

That really is going to be a nice little nano masterswimmer! I'm impressed for sure!
Old 12/14/2005, 03:40 AM
Registered Member

Thanks NewSchool. A lot of time went into the thought and preparation of this project.

Was great looking at the tank tonight under my red LED's. I've got only the LR in there. I saw hundreds of pods all over the place. I saw bristleworms, emerald crab, strawberry crab, spaghetti worms and I'm sure I've missed some things.

Thanks again,
Russ
Old 12/14/2005, 05:25 AM
Touch me...Love me

That is an impressive setup...Do you have any concerns about dead spots behind the eggcrate? Or livestock getting stuck behind it? I would hate to have to tear it apart because somebody got stuck and couldnt get out....

SBC

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone
Old 12/14/2005, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Thanks SBC. Both powerheads, one for the skimmer and one for flow are behind the rock wall. It creates flow back there just from that (and there is one on each of the 'covered' walls of the tank).

If it's not enough flow and something dies back there, believe it or not, I still have enough room to get back there with my 24" tongs. Besides, the skimmer, SEIO and heater all come out really easy.

Thanks for looking and I appreciate testing my forethought. I know somebody is going to say........yada yada yada and I'll say OH DARN IT, I did forget something!!! lol

Russ
Old 12/17/2005, 01:33 AM
Registered Member

12/16/05 brief update

Just wanted to update showing the sand I just added.

Will hopefully be looking to add a coral or two within a few days.

Russ
Old 12/17/2005, 01:36 AM
Blue

what type of sand is that masterswimmer?
I think you are going to have a very hard time with corals shading lower corals on that wall. I see outcrops but I'm not sure that that will really make a difference. I may not be getting a good 3D look though.
Old 12/17/2005, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

ok now i see the shelves..... man that is crazy looking.... i love it! Im sorry but i just may have to copy you.
Old 12/19/2005, 10:01 PM
TRC Leader

Russ, that is freaking awesome!!! Well thought out, and it's going to be just amazing when it's stocked!
Old 12/19/2005, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

brainiac, thanks. Feel free to copy, no patent here .

Amy, thank you. That means a lot coming from you. And I'm stoked to stock! I want to see some pix of your garage!!

Everyone, have a Merry, Happy ChristmaKwanzikah!!

Russ
Old 12/21/2005, 09:57 PM
TRC Leader

I need to finish the garage first! Then show off. Right now it's just a mess of parts strewn all over the floor.

So are you expecting cycle with this nano (I know you fear a minor one, but are you seeing it?)? Or are you getting ready to add livestock?
Old 12/21/2005, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Hey Amy, I cured the LR for about 2 - 3 months while hand picking each piece and then storing it with a heater and PH. I got the last few pieces the week before I put everything together. That was uncured, so I am getting a mini cycle.

I did add 3 Astrea's, 6 Nassarius & 1 Coral Banded Shrimp the other day. All look good except the CBS. He might be ok, I just haven't seen him since yesterday. Might have been a week too early for him. Time will tell.

I won't add any coral or fish for a few weeks though. I'm patient in that department.

Russ
Old 12/24/2005, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

That is a very unique setting, I always love to see new rock structures. Nice job with the wall too. As was mentioned before the light looks a little shaded in the middle of the tank towards the bottom, and i think a nice sun polyp would go great there, and seeing how much attention to detail you have taken it seems like you would have no problem feeding it everyday. Another way to go with livestock would be seahorses, i think they would look great hanging on the wall. And if you go that way u could put a small branching rock as an island too. Just my thoughts...amazing tank, I look forward to seeing what you do with it. happy holidays.
Old 12/24/2005, 12:42 AM
SHAKE & BAKE!!

AWESOME!!! I must have missed it somewhere, but how did you mount the rock wall to the tank? How is it being held in place so that it doesn't just fall forward?
Old 12/24/2005, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

cmondo, thanks for the uplifting comments. My wife really wants me to do seahorses. I've got a Fu Manchu Lionfish in mind though. Hey, anything could happen right now. Always open for suggestions. The sun coral is also a nice idea. Would add a nice splash of color right there in the middle.

bigbenji, the rock wall is just about self supporting. The right hand corner makes a 90 degree to the back wall. The right side LR almost (about 1/2" away) touches the front glass. So if it did fall, it wouldn't go very far. Besides, the precaution I took was to add a couple of 'cable tie mounting bases' to the back glass and cable tie through it and around the light diffuser.

Here's a pic of the mounting base:

Hope this helped.

Happy Holidays,
Russ
Old 01/02/2006, 08:21 PM
San Francisco Skyline

Location: Pacifica, California. (15 Miles South of San Francisco)
Looks amazing, I might try it in my 29G, but I have a question for you.
How did the wall go from this:

To this:

If you cant see what I mean, I can not see hardly any Egg crate in the second pic, but I can in the first. You said you changed the lightbulb to a 20k, did that make that huge diffrence?
Old 01/02/2006, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

darm cool...i'd like to see that on a larger tank....that is greatness
Old 01/02/2006, 11:17 PM
Registered Member

I just started to set up my Aquapod 24 and I am sooooooo going to do a reef wall. I have lots of LR and Figi branch cooking so I am going to order up a dremel and take a shot at it. It looks too good to not give it a try.
Why?
Because it is more fantastical.
Old 01/02/2006, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Rurouni Kenshin, thanks for the compliments. The whole difference in the pix is the first one was using a flash. This created light being directed straight at the wall. The second pic was with the tank light only (same 20k bulb) shining from above.

rizkeeper, again, thank you too. The thought of doing that on a larger tank does not thrill me! I'm not sure you can imagine the work it took to do a tank that size! Ooooohhhh, my aching back.

VinnyTheIcepick, make sure you have a lot more LR than you think. Also, I hand picked every piece over the course of three months. I had a mental picture drawn of what I wanted to do. There are no large pieces in there. A 29 however could use a little larger LR pieces to stay in proportion. Thank you for even saying you want to do it also. Very nice compliment.

I do have some frags in there now. A coral banded shrimp, some Nassarius Snails and Astreas.

The five frags I have don't do much for filling up the tank so pix don't really do it any justice.

Russ
Old 01/03/2006, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

Very nice job with the wall, and I like your dedication and all the work u put into the tank. And as you stated pictures will not do ur tank justice, they would still be very nice to look at...hint. And I and most reefers know that pretty much all pics don't do it justice, but i would really like to see how the tank progresses. Thanks
Old 01/03/2006, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

Ok cmondo, you convinced me.

Here's some of the livestock I've added so far. Remember, the frags are small and they don't do justice to the wall.

This first one is a Steve Tyree LE of an Acro (sp?) Shaggy Chuuk Blue. Color hasn't shown itself too well yet. But it is getting better daily:

Here's another Steve Tyree LE. This one is an Echino Lamellosa Challice Blue:

This frag was given to me from my friend Jim. It's a green with purple rimmed monti cap:

Here's a shot from the top down of my green slimer. Sorry for the MH reflection in the pic:

Unknown Acro (sp?), just loved the color. Pic, once again, doesn't do it justice:

And finally, my coral banded shrimp:

I hope you all enjoy.

Russ
Old 01/03/2006, 05:05 AM
Touch me...Love me

Everytime I see your tank I like it more and more....I can't wait to see how it grows....keep up the good work

SBC

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone