Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/13/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

Think of it like this...you have a tank that is 36" and you have a ceiling at 84", thus you have 48" for stand and whatever is above it...You will probably want to put your lighting on a track that is movable and leave enough space above the tank to crawl around for cleaning/moving/maintenance. I would suggest around 26-28, or maybe 30 if you are skinny!! How much space will you have for your tank room?
Old 12/13/2007, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steve the plumb
so from the looks of it you have to dig out the entire basement to the same level.You are in the army so I am sure you have done some form of digging in your time.I hate digging!I think its time Santa's little helpers got there hands dirty.While you are away the Sargent in charge(the wife) will have to organize a digging party to get down there and get some work done.Weather small hands or big hands the job can get done.This way when you come back you don't have to do anymore digging.Then again maybe your title allows you the privilege of having other people do it for you.Just come back safe along with the rest of your buddies.Nice to see someone give jnarowe a run for his money.Thats a big tank
Fortunately all the digging that needs to be done is done. I only dug half the crawl space, there is a block wall were the dirt wall is in those pictures (sorry I don't have a picture of it). When I get home I am going to have the floor poured and above the block wall poured but only about 5 feet. Then I'm going to put up a small wall and close off the crawl space potion. This will give me a room that's about 18x12 (plenty of space for a wet room). And as a bonus the well pump and pressure tank are in the crawl space, so I have easy access to water.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
What will you keep under the stand?Your the one who will have to get in there to work on something unless the sump and everything else are kept in another section of the house.
Nothing will be under the tank but a few pipes and maybe an OceansMotions 4 or 8 way. Everything will go in the basement/crawl space/wet room
Old 12/13/2007, 07:48 PM
I am a super nose picker

Thats good.You will have to have some sort of HVAC unit along with an A/C unit for the heat and humidity issues.Thats going to be a lot of salt water and corrosion would be my concern along with the excess humidity.You will need a big sump and a lot of equipment.I would also look at electrical setup plus a generator that will turn on in case of power shortage.I have a small generator but I would have to be at home to use it.If you are away and something goes wrong at least you have some kind of back up power unit.With all the money you are going to spend in livestock its something you will need.The only bad thing about this hobby is that sometimes it can keep you prisoner to your tank.Sounds crazy but everyone here knows it.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefaquariumnut
Think of it like this...you have a tank that is 36" and you have a ceiling at 84", thus you have 48" for stand and whatever is above it...You will probably want to put your lighting on a track that is movable and leave enough space above the tank to crawl around for cleaning/moving/maintenance. I would suggest around 26-28, or maybe 30 if you are skinny!! How much space will you have for your tank room?
The room the tank is going in has a vaulted ceiling, so space above the tank isn't an issue. I will be able to raise and lower the lights in order to do maintance and what not. As far as the wet room (room where all equipment will be stored) it only has a 7' ceiling and has tons of space, so that shouldn't be an issue putting all my equipment there.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:53 PM
I am a super nose picker

You would need at least 3x 8 ways and 3 strong pumps barracuda I would think or the tarpon.I forget witch one pushes more water.If you do want to save on electricity the new tunze pumps push 5000 GPH or 5900 GPH and use a lot less power to do so.I a tank that big I don't think they will be such a big eye sore.plus to run those pumps off a deep cycle battery would be more simple but you would still need to run lights or heater in a power failure.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Ahhhhh!!! I gotcha...my bad. I would then say anywhere from 30-34 inches would be perfect viewing height.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:56 PM
I am a super nose picker

I would put one of those European A/C units in the room.Very easy to use.I have one upstairs in my house.I regret not installing one in my basement.I bought a portable A/C unit and they are not as strong.Plus I have to take it out when it gets cold.
Old 12/13/2007, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

Those are all great thoughts Steve. I assume your talking about the Crawl Space when you’re talking about an HVAC unit. I had thought of that and figured I would either put in a very small unit or a bigger window unit (not sure if the window unit would cut it though). As for humidity I thought about getting a nice dehumidifier and using green board everywhere down there, and painting with Bilge Paint (thanks jnarowe LOL)
Old 12/13/2007, 08:00 PM
I am a super nose picker

The problem with de humidifiers is they heat up the room like crazy so this will add heat to your tankYes the crawl space.You can place the european A/C units on the wall.You only need to drill a 2" hole to run the fan outside.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:03 PM
I am a super nose picker

you can get a unit like mine.I just took a pic
Old 12/13/2007, 08:04 PM
I am a super nose picker

this one is 24000 BTU does the top floor of my house.I have an old home(1930) so I don't have ducts.I should have not listen to my wife and installed one downstairs for the basement.They are very efficient and they are designed to use less electricity.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Does the Euro AC unit help with humidity?
Old 12/13/2007, 08:17 PM
I am a super nose picker

yes its an A/C unit cools the air and removes the humidity.The only reason I call it European style is because most homes in Europe have these type of A/C units.You won't see window types.I never saw one window type while I was in Greece.Everyone has these units because they are pretty efficient.If you buy a no name brand you will also get them cheaper.I know HD sells them.I paid a lot for mine and I have seen cheaper brands half to 1/3 the price.They work like a central air unit.The fan and compressor stay outside.They are very quiet.It comes with a remote control.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
You would need at least 3x 8 ways and 3 strong pumps barracuda I would think or the tarpon.I forget witch one pushes more water.If you do want to save on electricity the new tunze pumps push 5000 GPH or 5900 GPH and use a lot less power to do so.I a tank that big I don't think they will be such a big eye sore.plus to run those pumps off a deep cycle battery would be more simple but you would still need to run lights or heater in a power failure.
So you think I need 3 x 8 ways. I was thinking I could get away with 2 x 4 ways and about 8000 gal of flow with two pumps. I guess I could do 2 x 4 ways or return and 1 x 8 way on closed loop. I just thought of this I might actually have a pump under the tank (closed loop) but I really don't want to, I think I'll give up some head loss to keep it in the basement.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Here's a pic of my Battery
Old 12/13/2007, 08:28 PM
I am a super nose picker

Well I have one 8 way and some of my outlets are split with tees and its not enough flow.Its not a bad flow but I also have a dart for a return pump.I don't know if you want to keep acros or not.Do you want sand or BB.Your tank is a lot bigger than mine this is why I would say 3 strong pumps with 3x 8 ways.If you want to do a cl for one your tank is huge.My drum has the 2 holes if the outlets are not split the flow is nice.so you would have to do 8 outlets no tees.Maybe get the drum with one hole so that all the flow is concentrated on the outlets.You are looking at 10 feet long plus 5 ft wide.maybe 2 strong pumps with 2x 8 ways.You want to make sure you get the hole tank.I have the 8 way covering 8ft x30.Your tank is 2 ft longer but double my width plus the top part of your tank needs flow so maybe you can get away with 2 barracudas and 2 x8 ways.I would have a dart pump for a return plus some tunze pumps or 2 wave box units(at least)
Old 12/13/2007, 08:32 PM
I am a super nose picker

by the way not to burst your bubble but I had a 30" tall tank and it was nice to look at but a pain in the *** to get my hand down to the bottom.Your tank will be 5 ft wide.You will need to get a long pair of tongs or get wet if you have to move any corals.My tank was 150 gal joke.
Old 12/13/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks so much for protecting our country and putting your life on the line so we can live in peace! God Bless you and everyone serving!!!
Old 12/13/2007, 08:46 PM
I am a super nose picker

now if you don't mind the look of the tunze will you save money in the end?Yes you will.The tunze aren't cheap but if you can get the large ones they push a lot of water and use less wattage.Plumbing part for the cl are expensive.So you won't save money on that.I got good prices for my plumbing and it still cost me a small fortune.Tank your size $1000 easy for plumbing and thats a very fair estimate(it will probably cost more. the sequence pumps will use more wattage than the tunze or the ecotech (if they don't burn a hole in the tank) Plus your tank will be to thick.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:25 PM
no time for spell check!

the big question i have it wat kind of tank will this be? comunity fish and sps tank or soofties/lps tank? alot depends on what you want to house in the tank. then you need to match the equiptment to those animals and bio load.

lighting
sump
reactor
skimmer
water flow pumps
computer system
water change tanks
water storage tanks
ro/di systems

these are the items that you will need to size to the bio load of the tank.
this will be an awesome system once it is finished. there is only a couple of tanks that are close to the size of the ank you want to build here on reef central.

here is some good reading for you on a big tank.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=861003
Old 12/13/2007, 11:53 PM
Premium Member

If it's not been mentioned, I'd suggest an AGE Aquarium. They have a PVC bottom and any type of combination of acrylics and plastics, and glass. They can be drilled through the bottom without any compromise on strength. It's where it's at for flow patterns.

But $$$$$ Good luck! Can't wait to see the build.
Old 12/14/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

I'd go with a larger tank over a Viper any day for half that you can get a 03-04 cobra with some mods and make just as much power. (It's such a disgrace that Chryler and Ford even united together anyway.
BTW my 850+ horspower car can keep sitting in the trailer untill I get that new 300 gallon I've been looking at!

Harleyguy don't get discouraged over someone elses opinion do what you think is best.
Old 12/14/2007, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

@ Steve the Plumb - What model AC Unit is that? I've been looking for something similar to that. I think this may work, I'd just wanna get to the store to check it out.

@Harleyguy - Where abouts are you in Georgia? I wanna come see this monster when its done!
Old 12/14/2007, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

I'm looking for a wife... Do they always come with a large reef????