Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 08/08/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Bart.....No exspense sparred Bart ...an absolute dream project...Incredible setup..I cant wait to see your tank in 1 year....Keep posting..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 08/08/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

well. im preety new to marine tanks. and ive had a look on about 20 different forums from around the world. and i have to say. this has impressed me the most. its AMAZING. everything is so clean and neatly done. dread to think of the cost... i was happy just upgrading to a 36gallon tank :P haha. i hope to get sumthing similar to ur set-up in 2 years when i open my own hotel/sports b&b thing. all i can say is WELL DONE. amazing !!

ad
Old 08/08/2007, 10:03 PM
Fiddles With Reef

Okay, saved the pics for when I have a spare week to study.

340g In-Wall Envision Tank and 150g Sump (fuge and grow-out).
Old 08/09/2007, 01:10 AM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by tanya72806
lol thats just insane
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/09/2007, 01:32 AM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I was just thinking it was pretty impressive for a guy that never ran a reef tank before.

What do the three pipes flowing down into the middle of the sump do? And is that a drip tray area, or just a sponge to stop microbubbles?
all those lonely nights working till 5am all by myself. i do sit back and think about all the time i glue every little pc of fitting, cut to fit pvc and etc. how i managed to get this far. oh don't forget Marc that this is my first display ever, i have never even owned a 5gal freshwater tank before in my life. the pic you see here without the cabinets was taken few months ago, not a recent pic. 2 1.5" are overflows from main display and 1 1.5" in the rear is from frag display. yes thats drip tray area which will be modified soon to hold filter material and foam pads came from manufacture but i will not be using them. baffles will be built very soon to stop microbubbles issues.

i will make this very clear to all that is viewing my thread. MY FIRST REEF TANK EVER. there i said it whew.... i know what i did is crazy, but if you ask around for help, study on numerous website, threads all through the night. this will be become a reality. i think the easy part is over for me and now entering the hardest part of reef keeping, making sure all livestock are in great condition, learning the entire ecosystem and maintaining water parameters at all times. IMO this is the most challenged part of any reef keeping.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/09/2007, 01:35 AM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I love it when someone else makes me look sane.
how are you able to read this while being retarded at the same time ? J/K to all except for Jonathan
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/09/2007, 01:43 AM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
Bart.....No exspense sparred Bart ...an absolute dream project...Incredible setup..I cant wait to see your tank in 1 year....Keep posting..
thanks, FEMA is still handing out checks til this day i will see you in a year and dont forget to bring .
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/09/2007, 03:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrcrab
Must be time for a VB! Your shout.
I think I've even got as few in the fridge. I've enjoyed a few whilst reading through this thread

Might just be time for another

Cheers

Chris
Old 08/09/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I love it when someone else makes me look sane.
I was thinking the same thing!

Nice Set UP
Old 08/09/2007, 10:30 AM
Premium Member

I want one... congrats bart... great setup, inspiring.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 08/09/2007, 12:43 PM

See the thing is Bart, when I look around my tank room, I can't remember building any of it. I know I did it, and I know everyone around me thought I was nuts. But I did it to get control of my brain back. The whole process helped me in dealing with dexterity, reading, logic, risk, driving, math....etc. And I seriously don't remember any of it. That's why I like to go back and look at pics of the construction process.
Old 08/09/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

no offense but how much do you think you pay in elctric and water a month if you dont mind me asking?
Old 08/09/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

no offense but how much do you think you pay in elctric and water a month if you dont mind me asking?
Old 08/09/2007, 02:14 PM
g0t fIsH

no problem, monthly electric bills is less then $350, water for month $40
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/09/2007, 02:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
My water bill is about the same but I start to cry when my electric bill is over $200.
Old 08/09/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cbui2
Your lucky, your total electric doesn't cover one week of mine. Do you have a cold spell going on down there?
Old 08/09/2007, 02:26 PM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
See the thing is Bart, when I look around my tank room, I can't remember building any of it. I know I did it, and I know everyone around me thought I was nuts. But I did it to get control of my brain back. The whole process helped me in dealing with dexterity, reading, logic, risk, driving, math....etc. And I seriously don't remember any of it. That's why I like to go back and look at pics of the construction process.
this have been fun since the beginning of my build, this new hobby is a lot better then working on my cars and yes i still do get excited from time to time looking into other livestock . i know for sure when looking back at my thread, how fast i did all that work in such little time was kind of crazy. thats including graveyard shifts
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/09/2007, 02:26 PM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
this have been fun since the beginning of my build, this new hobby is a lot better then working on my cars and yes i still do get excited from time to time looking into other livestock . i know for sure when looking back at my thread, how fast i did all that work in such little time was kind of crazy. thats including graveyard shifts
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/09/2007, 02:59 PM

Bart, you want to get excited about coral livestock, you got to come out to Portland. There's a shop there called Upscales that is literally head and shoulders above anything I have seen so far on the Left Coast.
Old 08/09/2007, 03:15 PM
Registered Member

Bart, you should print that pictures with the labels and stick it next to your tank and one at your work. Just incase you are not home and you need to instruct your wife to turn off certain valve you can just ask you wife to look at the picture. It is good also for you to remember which pipe is which incase you got lost.
Old 08/09/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I remember the 1st summer I had my tank running, my pool and heater and my AC. I got a $700 electric bill one month. I almost pooped myself. Now its still almost $400 but Connecticut has raised rates big time.

I've spilled a drop or two of water in my day.

(click red house for my build thread)
Old 08/09/2007, 05:13 PM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Originally posted by xinumaster
Bart, you should print that pictures with the labels and stick it next to your tank and one at your work. Just incase you are not home and you need to instruct your wife to turn off certain valve you can just ask you wife to look at the picture. It is good also for you to remember which pipe is which incase you got lost.
thanks Perry, i have a good bit labeled and numbered. its a good thing that my wife really care about my dogs and fishes if not i will be cleaning up their mess everyday. since the entire project was done by me, i can tell my wife exactly where everything is at over the phone.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/09/2007, 05:31 PM
g0t fIsH

Quote:
Bart, you want to get excited about coral livestock, you got to come out to Portland. There's a shop there called Upscales that is literally head and shoulders above anything I have seen so far on the Left Coast.
that would be nice, also if i can visit Steve setup i will definitely make that trip one day . we have a nice selection, but i will be making a trip to Houston soon.
(red house for 600gal)
Old 08/09/2007, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Wow! That is one heck of a first tank. Do you have a website for your tank? Your red house takes one back to this thread?
Old 08/14/2007, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

Any new pics and/or livestock Bart?