Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/14/2005, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

Leather Coral Question

All of a sudden my Leather has a whitish area(left side of photo. It is only visible at night when the polyps?tentacles(what is the proper name?) have retracted. I have had it about 5 months and there have been no chanages as of late(no new fish inverts, etc..)

Any suggestions

Harvey
Old 01/14/2005, 03:35 AM
TRC Leader

Anything near by that might sting it? Looks almost like an LPS sweeper burn mark.
Old 01/14/2005, 08:51 AM
RIP-You'll be remembered

I am not sure all leathers but finger leathers devlope white patches on their ends(like yours) when they are about to drop off a baby. It should be around a inch long. Keep an eye on it for the next week or so and look for a little baby leather on the ground.
Old 01/14/2005, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I have a rather large Finger Leather next to it and they sometimes touch. Could this be irritating it?
Old 01/14/2005, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

This can be caused by a few different things. Like stated earlier a devils hand leather can drop a baby bud by pinching off one of its "bumps". However yours looks to be a toadstool and the bud usually form at the base on this IME. I would bet either something is stinging it, unlikely another leather. Or you do not have enough flow over the surface of the toadstool(my guess). Has detris settles in a low flow area it causes the tissue under it to rot. If not taken care of I have seen this spread. Do you notice any detritus settling on the coral at all?
Old 01/14/2005, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Actually the area it is in has pretty good flow, but being a toadstool certain portions of it do not get as much flow as other areas. It does collect sand from time to time which I manually blow off. If it is rot should I disect that portion and how will that effec the toadstoll(Isn't this how they frag these?).

It appears the spot is getting larger and the only thing next to it is a finger leather and some Zooanthids.

Thank you.

Harvey
Old 01/14/2005, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

I would make sure there is enough flow the poylps are swaying all across the whole leather. Make sure to blow off any accumulation daily. You can cut the whole thing up and frag it yes but i wouldn't in your display, they can release a lot of toxins. I have seen these spots heal up on there own quickly. If the spot is very soft or has material leaving it, that would be the only time you may want to cut it. I have also heard from others that micro stars will irritate these spots eating the rotting flesh(if bad) You may check to make sure there is no small star in the spot. From the way it sounds it is not dempled in yet right, Just discolored?
Old 01/14/2005, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

It looks like a piece of the skin is torn off, the size of a pencil eraser. There is whitish material under this piece of missing layer.

Hopefully it is not rootting? Waht do you think

Harvey