Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2004, 02:03 PM
Carl Brutananadilewski

LPS on PCs

I've had my current tank running for quite a while now, I've been keeping zoos and xenia with great success. Now I'm ready to move onto the cacifying corals, I like the look of LPS and I know that are easier that SPS. I currently only have a PC lighting system. I have 265W (2 atinics, 2 10k) and an old 18" NO double strip light with a 10K and an Atinic bulb (I mainly use that as a night light though). What are some corals that could live under these conditions. I plan on getting a sun coral (I know it needs spot feeds and not light ) and I like the looks of the pagodas, galaxias, frogspawn, and brains. Will any of these corals grow under my lighting? If not are there any? Thanks
Old 12/18/2004, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

i think you have a good amount of light for just about any type of lps that you are interested in, so far i think these corals are very easy to take care of and i have always feed my lps and i think that that has helped them continue to grow as well as color up.

so good luck
Old 12/18/2004, 02:27 PM
Carl Brutananadilewski

sweet, time to get more entrenched in this hobby!

-Robert Plant
Old 12/18/2004, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

sure is!!!!
Old 12/18/2004, 08:52 PM
Go Sooners!

Look at all the LPS in our gallery. We have the same tank and lights so that should give you an idea.
Old 12/19/2004, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Greetings All !

bkiba,

My brain under PCs ...

Quote:
... and I like the looks of the pagodas, galaxias, frogspawn, and brains. Will any of these corals grow under my lighting?
You may have to fool around with their depth placement, and their positioning within your system's current/flow pattern, but other than that, there shouldn't be a problem.

HTH.
Old 12/20/2004, 10:35 AM
Carl Brutananadilewski

thanks guys, I picked up a goni and a frogspawn from a local reefer. They both look great after the first night. I know the goni may be particulalry challenging. I read an article about adding magnesium and iron to the tank (or was it manganese?). They may also require spot feeding. WHat do you recommend, phyto or something meaty? How / Where do I feed these two corals? I dont see a prominent mouth anywhere, do I just shove some meaty food near the center of the frogspawn polyp? How about the goni? Thanks!

-Robert Plant
Old 12/20/2004, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

Frogspawns, hammers, torches.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 12/20/2004, 11:27 AM
Go Sooners!

What color is the Goni? Green tends to be the hardest to care for. The red, pink, purple are easier but still...not easy. We have what we like to call "LUCK" with all 3 of ours. We target feed once a week with a meaty blend of mysis, krill, brine, and "Liquid Life". The polyps absorb the food, thats how they eat.
We make sure that the Gonis get a straight shot of the Liquid Life because it is made with Cyclopeeze. Gonis diets are really unknown but the more we feed, the bigger they get. So make sure you feed highly nutritious meals to the Gonis at least.
Old 01/13/2005, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Hey Jennkerry,

Great tank!!!!! I want to move up to some of the LPS you have.

WHat type of water levels do you keep? Do you have to add anything to keep the LPS and how do you maintain the alk, calc?
Reactor?
Old 01/14/2005, 04:53 AM
Go Sooners!

Thanks for the compliment. We keep our SG at 1.026. No calcium reactor, just add Ocean's Blend two part additive for alk and calcium.