Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

My firefish hate me

I had a 10 gal tank with a few corals when I bought my first firefish. He was very sociable and was visible all of the time. He was the only fish in the tank, so I felt bad, went back to the store and bought another one. I've had them both for about 6 weeks.

This one was a little more skittish, darting into the rocks everytime someone walked into the room. The other one usually followed, but would eventually come back out.

Last week, I upgraded to an AP12. During the tank switch I had to keep all of my livestock in a bucket for an hour, including the firefish.

Now they are set up in their new tank, but NEVER come out. Only when I turn the pumps off to feed, then they dart back into the rocks for the rest of the day. If I keep the pumps off longer, the brave one comes out to swim for a little while...maybe. Pumps back on, fish back in the rock.

My last tank had a very small pump, and very little flow, this new tank has a maxi-jet 900 with the hydor-flo on it.

I'm wondering if they're just traumatized from the move and the bucket and the new tank. Or if they won't come out because I upgraded my pump too, and the current is too strong for them.

Any ideas? I could downgrade the pump if it meant the fish would come out more....

Thanks!
Old 12/31/2007, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

how long have they been in the new tank? they may just need some time to adjust to their new setting.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

They've been in the new tank a little over a week. And they're not showing any signs of feeling more comfortable, as far as I can tell.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

I also just moved a purple firefish and it took about 2- 2.5 weeks for him to start coming out again. He also seemed to be scared of the pump at first.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

ok, that makes me feel a little better.

I know that I tortured them with the move, but if they're still miserable and nto be able to adjust in another 2 weeks I'll have to come up with another plan.

Thanks!
Old 12/31/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Just give them some time they dont mind the flow as if it is to much they will stay out in a calmer area but still in the open.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:52 PM
Evan in colorado

I would expect them to be skiddish for a few weeks. Imagine if you were ripped from your home and dropped into a new one, I would probably take to a while to settle in too.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

They are just skittish. I didn't see mine AT ALL for several days (I was sure the died or lept to their death but couldn't find any corpsus). As for flow, my guys play in the flow from my Vortech like little kids. When they tire they just duck into the rocks for a bit. FLow does not seem to be an issue for them.