Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07/25/2006, 09:14 PM
Bucket Reefer

Cool Skimmerless 40G Breeder ~ Specs & Pics.

I decided its time to start a thread about my latest tank ~ my 40 gallon mixed reef. Hope you enjoy it!

Tank Specs:

40 Gallon Breeder ~ started 12/7/05 (Many of the Corals and LR were transferred from my previous tank, an 18 month old 30G).

Mechanical filtration: ~ modified HOB AqauClear 200 with airstone injection, activated carbon, polyfilter, and an in-tank surface skimmer.

Total turnover ~ 1440 GPH

Biological filtration ~ 30lbs of LR from Fiji, Marshall Islands, and Tonga. Various types of macro algae.

Lighting ~ 4 x 39watt T5s, 2 x 10,000K, 1 x 03 actinic, 1 x
blue plus.

Livestock:

Fish ~ 3 Yellow-lined Cardinalfish, Orange-tail Blue Damsel, Yellow Watchman Goby.

Corals ~ Blastomussa Merleti, Merulina, Hydnophora, Acropora, Lobophyllia, Pavona, Branching Hammer, Candy cane, Torch, Fox, Pipe Organ (3 types), Sun Coral, Galaxia, Bubble, Kenya Tree, Nepthia (2 types), Toadstool Leather, Star Polyps (3 types), Daisy Polyps, Pulsing Xenia and various colored zoos.

Other inverts ~ Derasa Clam, Yellow Gorgonian, Zebra Hermits, Blue-leg Hermits, Astrea snails, Nassarius snails, Nerite snails, Hawaiian feather duster, Various sponges, feather dusters and many small Brittle Stars.

Notes ~ This is a mixed reef with an emphasis on keeping LPS and softies. I decided to stop stocking acropora after a mass heat induced die-off due to a power surge shutting off my AC. I fugured it could happen again so why risk it. All my LPS and softies survived the heat wave. The tanks lighting was cut down form 6 x 39 watt T5s to 4 in Jan. of 06. Although my T5s do not have individual reflectors I found that 6 bullbs were too much for many of the corals I like to keep. This is a skimmerless system like the others I posted in the past. I am still adding corals to the top of the LR along the back. I am waiting to aquire certain specimens this fall. Related links to previous threads provided below:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=486097
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=560160

Pictures:

Yellow Gorgonian, Blastomussa, Hammer,Feather Duster, Sun Coral, Torch, and Riccordia

Green Bubble Coral, Pipe Oragn, Red Lobophyllia, and Daisy Polyps

Green Toadstool under Actinics

Yellow-lined Cardinals and Green Bubble Coral under Actinics

Red Lobophyllia under Actinics

I look forward to hearing your comments, questions and suggestions!

More pictures including growth pics coming soon!

Last edited by Aquabucket; 07/25/2006 at 09:37 PM.