Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/12/2007, 03:37 AM
Registered Member

If you see this coral selling for a lot just remember this.....

Info from supplier site.

"Elegance coral that LIVE!!!

SDC has been holding and testing certain types of corals from Australia to see how they do. We have already had very encouraging success with Australian Elegance coral. Only about $5.00 more than those from Jakarta, the Australian Elegance have been "Wide Open" and doing great!
NO SIGN OF RECEEDING!"

http://www.seadwelling.com/SDC_NEWS.php

I would say you will be paying way more than 5 bucks extra, likely near 1.5x- 2x the price of a Jakarta counterpart. Ahhhhh supply and demand!!!
Old 03/12/2007, 05:25 AM
TRC Leader

Since that is a wholesale supplier ( http://www.seadwelling.com/ ), that kind of pricing is for the stores and trans-shippers. We'll pay whatever the stores decide.
Old 03/12/2007, 05:37 AM
Registered Member

thats cause everything from australia is better
Old 03/12/2007, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

Actually, only the ones from Australia are healthy. There is a new product, called REVIVE, that may solve the problem by dipping the elegance coral in it. Google it and see if you think it might work. In the mean time, I have not seen any of the Australian Elegance corals n the market.

~Steve~
Old 03/12/2007, 10:25 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I know they are a supplier but I have a feeling stores won't give us a break and say hey I paid 5 bucks more on this and sell it for only $5 more. They are way more expensive. I saw several 5 inch at $170-200 each.
REVIVE is supposed to be out this month from Two little Fishes. I hope it works
Old 03/12/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

and because of this us aussies are now probably never going to see elegance corals in out stores and in 2 yrs time we probably wont have any elegance corals left in the legal collection areas to have... great..

i hate it when natural habitats are turned into commidities.
Old 03/12/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

well I hope they are responsible about how much they take and plan ahead to insure that they don't deplete this beautiful coral from your waters.
Old 03/12/2007, 09:01 PM
Dismembered

Everything is restricted nowadays, especially australia. I would worry more about global warming than collection for the aquarium trade.
Old 03/12/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

I would agree with that last statement.
Old 03/13/2007, 03:25 AM
Premium Member

"Natural" habitats have been being turned into commodities since the dawn of man. Do you have any wood furniture in your house? How about some metal, do you own anything made of iron, copper, zinc, bronze, brass, steel, aluminum... I think you can see where I'm going with this. Completely off topic I know, but I think you mean to say "I hate when natural habitats that I treasure are turned into commodities." Sorry for putting words into your mouth, but sustainability is the key, not prohibition of use. That goes for any natural resource. Those that are finite in supply need to be used to their greatest potential.
Old 03/13/2007, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

I dont know a great deal of the issues you have had with elegance corals in the US but i have had mine for over a year now and in that time it has done a 1700km (~1000+mile) road trip when i moved and it has been in my frag tank for the last month and it is doing great.

It is a pity that you have not had the opportunity to have more success with them. They are a truely beautiful coral.

Marc
Old 03/15/2007, 09:01 AM
Redux Australian ZEOhead

Quote:
Originally posted by lucifersreef
thats cause everything from australia is better

While working in Atlanta GA, for a coral importer/wholesaler last year, I can say that hopefully our (healthier?) corals will put an end to the huge numbers of Catalaphyllia that melt upon arrival. I also hope that coral prices here in Aus. don't increase too much by our changing export regulations (corals rarely cost more than $80 AUD retail)... Wishful thinking perhaps.

FWIW, Duncanopsammia and Acanthastrea are VERY common here...

Josh

Photos of my "Blau Arborescent Dschungel Riff" via the red house.
Old 03/15/2007, 04:34 PM
Moved On

Those corals are frickin overpriced!