Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/15/2006, 07:00 PM
Moved On

Anyone have a Kia Rio?

I am in the market for a new car, I have a pickup but want a car or small van to haul things in out of the weather. Like SW fish and groceries.
The Kia Rio is on sale at a local dealer for 7900.(is that a sale?)
Wondering if anyone has one and what they think about it?
They look so cute to me.
Old 02/15/2006, 07:05 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

What is your price range?

I personally don't really like Kia.
Old 02/15/2006, 07:18 PM
Moved In

Kia=speedbump!

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/15/2006, 07:33 PM
Moved On

LOL. thats my price range, I dont get around or out much and just want a small car that will haul my precious cargo
Old 02/15/2006, 07:57 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I only use my Rio for water change & mixing salt
Old 02/15/2006, 08:21 PM
RC Mod
RC Sponsor

A friends brother owns one and he said it breaks all the time and things which normally don't break on a new car like the AC. Then they try to blame you so the warranty means nothing. Honestly, if you were planning to finance, I would buy a TDI Golf and take the massive fuel savings toward your payment. VW's have little nit picky things break like window switches and crappy plastic pieces but mechanicallly tend to be reliable. Otherwise, I would buy an old diesel Mercedes with either a 240 or early 5 cylinder 300 or turbo 300. You can usual get one in great shape for about $4k, OK shape for $2k if you are willing to do some work. These things usually rust out or are destroyed in a wreck before the engine dies. These are the engines that made Mercedes famous for durability, most go a half million miles easy. And, yes, I am a diesel nut. I like diesel because worst case scenario, I can make my own fuel, and the old ones have no electronics so if the conspiracy theorists are right they can't shut you down, also, you are exempt from emissions standards. So, they are a bit slow, but you get a free smoke screen feature.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"
Old 02/15/2006, 08:59 PM
Moved On

Thanks everyone for the info.
I think I will pass on one and look at the mini vans.
I dont put many miles on a vehicle as am a home body but when I go shopping everything has to be piled into the front seat of my pickup and I am sick of that.
Thus the cheap car thing.
I just dont want to spend allot on one as I dont go many places.
How about mini vans , any suggestions?
Old 02/15/2006, 11:01 PM
How YOU doin?

Used, Ford Windstar or Toyota Sienna are farely inexpensive and have good safety ratings.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 02/16/2006, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Siennas are the best IMO.
Old 02/16/2006, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Please do yourself a favor and look seriously used vehicles. Used toyota's, hondas, acuras and nissans are awesomly reliable and usually pretty cheap. For 7900 you could probably find a very nice used car with low miles. Honda accords are awesome if dont mind a car. Just make sure you shop around and take your time.

Not to rag on american cars, we own a 96 explorer with 160,000 miles that has been awesome, but i hear of more lemons with domestic cars. Yes i know some honda and most toyotas are made in usa. I think that foriegn cars must have tighter tolerances in their components and that when stressed or abused by previous owners wear better.
Old 02/16/2006, 03:47 AM
Moved On

Thanks for the input everyone.
My husband bought the most beautiful suburban for 8grand a few months ago and I fell in love with it.
High miles but kept in immaculate condition.
Now I want one.
We have 5 pickups and the suburban .
My truck is a 77 chevy, 53thousand original miles on it and I love it but want something to haul stuff in, with the Tx weather I have been caught in a few downpours with groceries in the back.
We are Chevy people, thats all we own but will look into the Honda's
I have seen several chevy's that I like, but all I have looked at used are 3/4 ton or 4wheel drive and dont want either.
I am in no hurry for a vehicle, I have plenty to drive so when I spot one I cant live without I will grab it up
Here is my baby the day I bought it in 2004.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Old 02/16/2006, 09:52 AM
RC Mod
RC Sponsor

That truck is a beauty.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"
Old 02/16/2006, 11:02 AM
Moved On

Thanks RV, I have had the Rhino spray liner put in the bed to keep it new, it had 2 scratches in it is all when I got her.
Then had seat covers and matching dash cover put on as the seats are like new.
Here is the inside of it before I put the dash cover and seat cover on it.
I have also had power windows and door locks installed and also running boards so that I can get in it without sliding across the seat or pulling on the stearing wheel or door to get in.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Old 02/16/2006, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

used hondas are actually a bit pricey- but they will last you forever and usually never have any problems. They are very well built. toyotas too are good cars and lexus falls under them- never had any problems w/ them.