Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Can I keep 2 pairs of Ocellaris in one tank?

OK, after about 2+ years, I finally caught my maroon and took him out! He got so big and mean, and was killed about 4 RBTAs. What a nightmare that was!

Anyway, now I've got no clownfish in my 150 reef and one "available" RBTA!

My wife really loves the "Nemo" (Ocellaris) clowns. And she wants a pair of them. But I was thinking since this is my best and maybe only opportunity to add them (since clowns get aggressive once established) to add more than just two.

Would it be possible to add 4 Ocellaris clowns. 2 males and 2 females? Would I then get 2 pairs? That would be great!

I could get a second anemone if that would help.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:00 PM
Beer King

I'd get about 5 small ones and drop them in your tank eventually 2pairs should pair up. Im supposed to be getting 7 onyx on the 19th of this month 5 for the 180 and 2 for the nano.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eyebedam
I'd get about 5 small ones and drop them in your tank eventually 2pairs should pair up. Im supposed to be getting 7 onyx on the 19th of this month 5 for the 180 and 2 for the nano.
what about the odd man (or woman) out?
Old 01/09/2008, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

Sometimes they become a family
4 males 1 female.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

so it would really be ok if i got a group of 5 and added them all at once?
Old 01/10/2008, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

it may work
Old 01/10/2008, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

From what ive read,in books and on a few sites,you can keep mutiple ocellaris together black and normal,you can also suposedly keep the skunk clowsn with diffrent clowns as well,but i have never done any of this.My last ocellaris are a pair and they are mean as can be cant even put your hand in the tank,thinking of getting rid of them,right now ive got pair of marrons and pair of clarks in my 120 just got them(i read wrong and thought the clarks got along with everyone) i know the maroons will beocme mean but they are so cool and i have 90 i can put them in when the time comes,but im planning on getting some black and regular ocellaris and putting them together.so ill let you know if it works in a couple years