Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 12/28/2007, 11:56 PM
hobbyist

Husband kills wife/self

This happened not far from us. The wife had advancing Alzheimer's Disease and the husband couldn't bear to see her suffer. Sad.

http://goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...WS06/824215667
Old 12/29/2007, 07:02 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Are you in the Franklin area?

I'm just down the road in Kittanning.

The same thing happened with my best friends parents several years ago. His mom had a stroke and could not deal with the limitations that were left upon her. So dad shot his wife and then took his own life.

Very sad to say the least.

Too old for women to care
Old 12/29/2007, 08:28 AM
Crap Under User Name

The opposite happened in the house across the street from me several years ago. The husband had advanced Alzheimer's. His wife went to the store and when she came back, she startled him. He, not recognizing her, pull a knife and stabbed the "intruder" to death.

The little men that live behind my eyes and scream into my brain told me to tell you hi.
Old 12/29/2007, 08:34 AM
On "The List"

when we do this for a ailing/failing pet, it's "humane"
but try the same treatment on grandma or grandpa & it's a crime...go figure

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/29/2007, 04:31 PM
living life 2 the fullest

Quote:
Originally posted by BigSkyBart
when we do this for a ailing/failing pet, it's "humane"
but try the same treatment on grandma or grandpa & it's a crime...go figure
I don't think I am going to go into this much but just say that we are a little bit more important than our pets. And I don't think we put our pets down and then kill ourselves after the fact. Clearly this man had mental problems, and is just a very sad case for the family and all.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.

Last edited by bluerug; 12/29/2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

lots of people are less important to me than my pets.

Old 12/29/2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jpfelix
lots of people are less important to me than my pets.
I should have worded the statement better, sorry about that.

I meant to say we are one a different level than our pets.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 12/29/2007, 05:56 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by bluerug
I meant to say we are one a different level than our pets.
Again, speak for yourself. I don't agree, and know many others that don't either. But, I have heard my sister say about her dog when discussing how far to go with medical care "Well, he's just a dog." So I understand your point, but don't expect universal agreement.
Old 12/29/2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
Again, speak for yourself. I don't agree, and know many others that don't either. But, I have heard my sister say about her dog when discussing how far to go with medical care "Well, he's just a dog." So I understand your point, but don't expect universal agreement.
I do not really expect universal agreement but in the world we live today, pets are considered to be property. No human I know of is considered to be property. This case is very sad indeed, and if they did have kids I am sure his kids will be outraged. I had a great uncle who I did not know but have heard stories over and over. He was a WW1 veteran and had horrible things done to him while he was in the war ( I think this caused his mental break down and so does everyone else in the family) and when he came home he lead a normal life until my great aunt had a severe stroke which left her with basically no memory but people could still hold a conversation with her but its just that she would forget about that conversation 5 minutes later. Well my great uncle could not put up with her any longer and decided to kill her and kill himself. Everyone in the our family resents my great uncle for doing that and call it selfish. He was not right in the head for a lot of reasons but the majority of our family blame it on the war.

A human life to me and millions of others is far more precious than a dog, cat, etc, etc. This subject really just hit close to me.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:00 PM
Reefer

Well, while I find the act of taking a human life in all but a few circumstances unthinkable, I will freely admit that if I had to chose between saving the life of one of my cats and some humans I know, it would be my cat that would live. And while I am very protective of them, I don't think of them at all as property.

I don't value human life over all other on this planet. Humanity has shown too much disregard for other life-- human or not on this planet to deserve such favoritism.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:06 PM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

I know a few humans I wouldn't even warn if they were about to be hit by a bus

That said, perhaps if we had more humane laws that allowed people tp pass on to the hereafter in a more dignified manner this wouldn't happen. Medical Science has advanced to the point that we can keep people alive in a pathetic state

Hard to judge at what point a person should be allowed to pass on
Old 12/29/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba_Dave
I know a few humans I wouldn't even warn if they were about to be hit by a bus

That said, perhaps if we had more humane laws that allowed people tp pass on to the hereafter in a more dignified manner this wouldn't happen. Medical Science has advanced to the point that we can keep people alive in a pathetic state

Hard to judge at what point a person should be allowed to pass on

exactly...

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 12/30/2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pnosko
Well, while I find the act of taking a human life in all but a few circumstances unthinkable, I will freely admit that if I had to chose between saving the life of one of my cats and some humans I know, it would be my cat that would live. And while I am very protective of them, I don't think of them at all as property.

I don't value human life over all other on this planet. Humanity has shown too much disregard for other life-- human or not on this planet to deserve such favoritism.
Well your pets are considered to be property. My cousin got a full taste of that when her cat became ill because of all the recalls on the pet foods a little while back. She did not have a leg to stand on, because of the fact her cat was considered to be property.

Yes there are some people out there that are horrible and all, but when it comes down to it we are not supposed to treat them like dogs.

Big Ten is a joke.

SEC is the real deal.
Old 12/30/2007, 09:31 AM
Premium Member

i frequently think of the lounge as a cruel, compassionless sort of place...

but on this one i agree with tony, dave and cristy..

i prefer most peoples pets to most people
Old 12/30/2007, 09:40 AM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by Altpers0na

I know almost as many people with ill mannered pets as with ill mannered children

I prefer my own pets to most people

I'm not completely self centered, I'll admit that several of my friends do have GREAT dogs and one or two of them even have good kids

If I could have called hubris or kevorkian to end grandmas or a few other family members last ailing months, I would have

Old 12/30/2007, 10:02 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bluerug
Yes there are some people out there that are horrible and all, but when it comes down to it we are not supposed to treat them like dogs.
Of course not!!

I would treat my dog MUCH better!!!
Old 12/30/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

we are not a group of un-compassionate,cruel, or mean people- we just have fun and tell it like it is... I love The Lounge and have a blast in here but I've also gone through at the very least a big box of puffs here and there, oh and coffee outta da' nose well that's not nice on the keyboard ...

^^^ that being said, when push comes to shove The Lounger's have a lot of love for one another, I am sure you didn't mean for that to come off nasty or heartless it's just me saying how I took it, but other than that, thanks for agreeing with me as that doesn't happen a whole lot of the time ...

Christy

panties...?

lace panties...?

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 12/30/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

What lounge have you been in? You most certainly cannot be talking about the people here, who most would give the shirt of their back for anyone who asked.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 12/30/2007, 10:35 AM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by crp
What lounge have you been in? You most certainly cannot be talking about the people here, who most would give the shirt of their back for anyone who asked.
espescially if the request for said shirt was accompanied a few shots of tequila

Old 12/30/2007, 10:36 AM
Registered Member

Oh Bart, get with the program, it's winter so I've switched to Baileys.

Old 12/30/2007, 10:48 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Hey bluerug how about that Michael Vick? Some property he had, huh? Don't think the courts agreed with you or him on his "property".
Old 12/30/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crp

Helllooo Carrie

Christy...

panties...?

lace panties...?

Old 12/30/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Old 12/30/2007, 11:15 AM
Where the future begins!

I would have to agree with the majority of people on this one in saying that I value the life of my pets over most people I've known.

In that, I can honestly say that the way that people are kept in vegetative and diseased states is more inhumane than allowing them to pass with at least some shred of dignity.

Unfortunately, it isn't medical science that keeps these poor people alive, but another world in of itself.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 12/30/2007, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crp

not trying to argue... and i dont mean everyone of course..

as for mean or heartless.. sometimes.. but not that time...

but just for reference... as to the shirts off thier backs..

i will point to the thread a few days ago when nina posted something about what she should do with one of 'her boys' request to see their family (or some such) and the lounge response was basically 'let them rot'. so much for good will toward men...

i see threads like that all the time... and thats a good example of what i meant by cruel and compassionless..

again, dont get me wrong, i will get in line to let some people rot... (like my sister in law), but thats someone i know, and not a stranger that i only know by hear say on a forum...

but i also get in line to give the shirt off my back... i'll freely help anyone who actually wants my help... i will not help people that dont actually want my help, or just want another hand out...

ill stop ranting and argueing now..

and end with saying im ok with dying prematurely to avoid suffering... and the OP story is sad, but would have been sadder if it had taken another 20 years to resolve its self otherwise...

and im ok with idiots getting themselves mauled by tigers... (i actually think the only reason to shoot the tiger is that it would have been overly hard to get it back in the cage... it didnt do anything wrong... its a tiger, that what they do, and its why i dont plan on going to india for picture safari)

im also ok with baileys in my coffee. which will happen when i get home

sorry that was more than 5 lines.. my bad..