Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 03:33 AM
Registered Member

Undulated Triggers?

Now without thinking about it i picked up an Undulated Trigger when purchasing my flame hawk.

He is about 2inch to 3inch at the moment.. any thoughts on what i should be expecting from this fella over the next few weeks, months and years?

Now I have him I am going to keep and maintain his health and happiness so any thoughts, guidence, and advice is greatly appreciated?

present i have:

Australian Harlequin Tusk
Zebra Moray
Flame Hawk
Pixie Hawk
Bi Color Blenny
Dwarf Zebra Lion
Undulated Trigger

Looking to add a angler or scorpian over the next week or so..

I am trying to catch my pixie because he is just a menace and a right royal pain in the backside.. you know little fish you dont like much?

ta
Old 12/21/2007, 05:34 AM
hobbyist

What size tank are all of these fish in? IME it probably won't matter too much. Once it gets comfortable in your tank, I would foresee it killing the hawks, blenny and lion. When it hits 4-5 inches it will likely start harassing the others, probably killing the tusk and possibly the eel.
They have a well deserved reputation and unless you're one of the very few who got a mellow specimen, the trigger will probably be the only fish in your tank.
Guess you have to ask yourself if it's worth the risk.
Old 12/21/2007, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

He is going to kill everything in your tank with given time. It isn't a matter of if he will, it's when. Whenever he decides the tank is his. I'd remove him asap. I wouldn't add an angler or scorpian fish either, they'd just get picked on. Both those and undy's require a species only tank.
Old 12/21/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

oh lordie.. researched hard so far and slipped here with an impluse.. I am going to monitor things for a while I think. He was moved from a tank at the LFS to his own as he was getting bullied by others so I am praying he is mellow.

my eel is a nasty little bugger and already took out a picasso so I am hoping he can look after himself.

i may go the option of getting a tank made up for the undulated as they are beautiful and he would make a great species tank only i think. i reckon that is the way to go..
Old 12/21/2007, 03:33 PM
Team RC Member

I think an undulate only tank would be really nice. They don't get that big, so you don't need hundreds of of gallons. You can have a nice looking well aquascaped tank that looks good and has this stunning fish in it.
Old 12/21/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

i think so too Lisa.. just spent a few hours watching the little fella and he is just lovely.. hard to imagine that he could cause so much havoc with age..
Old 12/21/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

can anyone remember how to sex them,it supposed to be quite easy by their markings,definately a beatiful fish that becomes a pet
Old 12/22/2007, 10:44 AM
Registered Member

what size tanks to undulates require? if someone wanted to make a species tank for one

"Once you've taken a few punches and realize you're not made of glass, you don't feel alive unless you're pushing yourself as far as you can go." -Green Street Hooligans
Old 12/22/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I'd say a 75 gallon for a single undulate.
Old 12/23/2007, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

English -

I ran into the same issue when I had first started with this hobby.

I set up a 45 gallon tank with the usual starter fish, then some coral, ect. Went to the pet store, saw the Undy in a tank BY ITSELF, and was told by the shop owner, " oh yes very nice fish "

Two weeks later, no fish, no coral ( mostly ) just a fish that hides 90 percent of the time. I pretty much will say this, IMO, these fish are VERY WILD fish, they tend to hide, like in the wild. When a door shuts in my house ( 5 years later ) the fish then hides.

It has wounded every tank mate... not eating them, just by sampling them to death. So the 40 dollar fish to me is now worth... 2000 dollars. Had it in a 45 for the first two years, then 75, then 125.

I would recommend its own tank for sure. With an overflow, no heaters or pumps in the main tank, he will eat them too... or she whatever you have.

To sex... its easy as long as the fish is not a juvenile, if the orange lines/spots fade away then you have a female, if the colors are just as dominant on the mouth as the rest of the body then you have a male. Usually the fish will keep one or two lines right around the mouth. ( These are there to make the fishes mouth appear larger than it really is. )

I love my Undy no tank mates, no over feeding, you can let parameters slide ( like on vacation ) The fish is tough tough tough... Buy a live fresh small clam and put it in the tank. Lastly take a photo and frame it above the tank... then you can show the photo to friends when they come over and say wheres your fish?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=2