Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

Question Big Tanks? DIY or Buy?

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post! Whoop!

I referred to this site by a moderator over at APC; he suggested that "yous" would be more knowledgable regarding my questions.

I am looking to have a 60"x60"x20"H aquarium either custom built or if it is too pricey, perhaps I'll try to build one myself. So, my questions are:

1. Should I buy one? Glass or Acrylic, and can anyone recommend a store online or in Michigan that would be able to do this for a reasonable amount of $$? I know it will cost me a pretty penny, but I don't want to be overcharged either.

2. Should I attempt to make the tank? Again, do you guys recommend glass or acrylic? And, does anyone know a good DIY post or instructions somewhere that I could follow easily? Anyone perhaps know where I could order the glass or acrylic that I will need?

Thanks, guys! What I thought would be pretty straight-forward questions have really turned into a nightmare, so I am hoping that people here are more knowledgeable than other places that I have tried. Salty's are the masters, and I could use that help!

Thank you!
Don
Old 01/08/2008, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

I read until the "perhaps I'll try to build one myself" part. I think if you haven't built a tank before and if its one of that magnitude it is better left to the professionals.

IMO tanks are by far the least expensive part.

also i would put up a big "welcome to RC" banner but i dont know how! This is a pretty cool hobby, with a lot of nice ppl, enjoy
Old 01/08/2008, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, dude! I think that i'll probably have to buy one, question is: Where? Can't seem to find a shop or online store that I like.

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the 'welcome'!
Old 01/08/2008, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

So here are some personal DIY horror stories.

I have built several tanks in the past including a fresh water 3'x2'x2' plywood coated with fiberglass resin to waterproof it and a roughly 1 foot cube of acrylic as a diy all in one nano as my first salt water tank. Simply put they are way more work to build and a hasle to seal than its worth and without a lot of experience you end up with a uneven edges, air bubles in the seams that arent apealing and leaks that spontaneously spring and are impossible to seal without a complete teardown, only to be set up again and leak one week later! Water is truly an evil force of nature.

This is all with about 10 years of around the house projects and other hobby builds. Of course if you have experience with working with things that need to be sealed that another thing but I swear to myself that I wont even try to build another show tank until I have mastered sumps.

Another thing to think about is that salt water is a very different set up from fresh water. I did about 10 years of FW too and my design for the SW cube i made I now see has many flaws in function and not just apearance while I thought I was going to have a legit set up. That is why I am about to set up a new tank as recomended from what I have read here in the next week.

Not trying to discourage you or anyone else from any DIY projects but in my experience the price is almost the same or even more(unless its literaly free material) and when just begining its nice when things just work or at least you arent frustrated with yourself for doing a poor job building it.

If you want to build something try the sump or a DIY overflow, both are fairly inexpensive, I just spent $30 on my future diy overflow(all pre cut to size ), a sump is maybe a bit over a hundred, and if it doesnt work you didnt waste a lot of money on material and learned something about working with plastic/wood/glass/silicone.

Good luck with your future reef!
Old 01/08/2008, 11:41 PM
Caulastrea sp

i would agree that DIY does not always save you money..... i get a lot of satisfaction from building stuff myself...also keeps my from p i ssing off my wife.....i say talk to these guys
http://www.glasscages.com/

SPG: 1.026
PH: 8.35
'trates: undetectable
phosphate: 0
ALK: 11.6DKH
calcium: 435ish
12/21/07
Old 01/08/2008, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

look at the top of the screen theres a ton of online stores to choose from. All i believe are good palces to start.
Old 01/09/2008, 12:14 AM
Brighter the better

if you want one heck of a tank go here and contact a rep.
A.G.E. tanks
Old 01/09/2008, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Glass Cages builds large tanks for very good prices. Check them out. Is it Elios that is the Rolls Royce of tanks?
Old 01/09/2008, 12:52 AM
Caulastrea sp

elios makes a very nice rimless top tank.....i was looking at one today

SPG: 1.026
PH: 8.35
'trates: undetectable
phosphate: 0
ALK: 11.6DKH
calcium: 435ish
12/21/07
Old 01/09/2008, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Thank you everyone! I have a TON of reading to do now! I can't believe how BUSY this place is here!!! It's incredible!

Anyhoo, I'll keep taking advice, so long as everyone is kind enough to keep giving it!!!
Old 01/10/2008, 02:53 AM
Premium Member

Yes keep reading. This is by far the most helpful forum I have found on any subject. Most people here will bend over backwards to answer your questions.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

I second glass cages, and being in the detroit area i'm sure they will have a drop off point you can meet them and save shipping!