Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 11/05/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seagirl
where did you get the flexable drain line hose?

The flex hose (two long lengths) came with the Oceanic sump kit.
I know "That Fish Place" carries it and sells it by the foot.

Joe
Old 11/05/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

would you consider shipping a couple vortex to me?
Old 11/06/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

currentking: The outer orbit is a really good light. I'm using it on my 120 also. The only thing I don't like is that the MH's are extremely yellow even with 4x54w T5 actinics running. But I have noticed growth and improved colors in my corals, and I've only had it a little over a month.
Old 11/06/2007, 11:47 PM
Premium Member

Lookin good, Joe. Glad to see you're enjoying the Vortechs!
Old 11/07/2007, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mishap
Lookin good, Joe. Glad to see you're enjoying the Vortechs!
Hi, Matt,

I can't thank you enough for taking the older MP-40's back, and hooking me up with the new ones. I haven't been able to enjoy them yet, as I'm filling the tank with water now. It is going so slowly that I was at TFP last evening and picked up an Aquatec 8800 booster pump. I can't seem to figure how to adjust the flow on this pump, as it didn't have any directions packed with it. I'd call Wayne, as he helped me pick it out, but he's off the next three days. Do you have any idea (or anyone, for that matter)?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 11/07/2007, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Hey Joe,

When I get in tomorrow I'll pull out one of the pumps and take a look then let you know.

Matt
Old 11/07/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

Matt,
Thanks. I got my answer from Russ of Buckeye Field Supply. Thanks anyway. I was at TFP again this afternoon. Are there any building lots for sale right next door?

Joe
Old 11/20/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

I have water in the tank, and I moved some live rock from my old tank over about a week ago. I also added about fifteen gallons of the old tank water, to jump-start the cycle. The two vortechs make a wave about one inch high on either side of the tank. They are set to run in "pulse - anti-synch" mode. It seems really nice, but nothing is moving in the tank at this point. it will look better when some fish and corals are in there. I need a little more live rock.
Here's a few more pictures.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Joe
Old 11/20/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

hey tank looks good i love the tech series did you get that at that fish place? send me a pm sometime im in reading not far from you
Old 11/20/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

Looks good Joe. How is the skimmer?
Old 11/21/2007, 12:21 AM
Moved On

Your filter sock holder looks great, it's perfect! Nothing to skim with your skimmer yet. Your filter sock not too dirty either. Hopefully, you have about a dozen of the filter socks on hand for when your tank ramps up. You'll need it.
Old 11/21/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Your setup looks nice and neat. Just need to get you some more lr. I'm going to call josh today to check on prices for you. Cant wait to see it in person. Have a happy thanks giving!
Old 11/21/2007, 01:20 PM
Premium Member

Great choice in a skimmer! I can't tell by you latest picture with the water in the sump, but in this picture, it looks like you'll have the water from the skimmer returning to the sump below the water line. I had some inconsistent pressure inside the skimmer this way and had trouble dialing in the skimmer. In the H&S skimmer thread, I believe they recommend having the water exist above the sump water line to improve skimming. I know it worked for mine.

Great set up by the way!

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11/21/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by czerbe
hey tank looks good i love the tech series did you get that at that fish place? send me a pm sometime im in reading not far from you

Yes czerbe, I purchased the tank and everything else (except the skimmer) from That Fish Place. I got the tank and stand at their annual Anniversary Sale, and the rest (including the stand) I've been purchasing at 30% off with their coupons. I was just there last evening, and their new coupons are "Thrifty Thursdays", but only 25% Off!! The nerve!!!!!

I'll shoot you a p.m. sometime......

Joe
Old 11/21/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nattydread
Looks good Joe. How is the skimmer?
Hey natty,

The skimmer is running, but like Dee (Reef Sponger) mentioned, there's really nothing for it to pull, at this time.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments....I've been messing around this hobby for over ten years, and am just now gettiing into it full-bore, so I'm really learning alot from you people.

Joe
Old 11/21/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by turbonegro
Your setup looks nice and neat. Just need to get you some more lr. I'm going to call josh today to check on prices for you. Cant wait to see it in person. Have a happy thanks giving!
Bobby!

Thanks for checking on the live rock for me...I appreciate that very much. Once again, I REALLY enjoyed myself last evening at your house I actually dreamed of your system last night. With all those tanks, frags, etc., you're going to need to build on pretty soon (especially with the planned 350 gallon system addition)!!!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wonderful family (including the pups)!! Give them some turkey Call me next week to come over.

Joe
Old 11/21/2007, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02
Great choice in a skimmer! I can't tell by you latest picture with the water in the sump, but in this picture, it looks like you'll have the water from the skimmer returning to the sump below the water line.
Thanks for the advise....You are correct, my skimmer outlet is below the water line in the sock. Do you think that is why I'm getting TONS of micro-bubbles through the sump and up into the main tank? They have no bouyancy, so they just stay in the water column. It's getting on my nerves!!!

Thanks,

Joe
Old 11/21/2007, 02:31 PM
Premium Member

I'ts possible. I'd look at the H&S / Fins Reef section in the Sponsors section. Tons of useful information on fine tuning your skimmer.

How long has the water been in the tank/sump? If it's new water, that might have something to do with the extra microbubbles too.
Old 11/21/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Originally Posted By 20 20;

"Let me guess... Got it at That Fish Place, right?"

How did you know? I only live about fifteen minutes from there!!! I got a great deal on the tank and stand at the Anniversary Sale in March. Then went nuts on their "Wonderful Wednesdays" and their "Terrific Tuesdays". Were you over there during the sale?

Joe
I live about 2 hours from That Fish Place. I take a trip up there every month or two. I like that store alot. Anyway, your tank looks great!!
Old 11/21/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkelley02

How long has the water been in the tank/sump? If it's new water, that might have something to do with the extra microbubbles too.

The water has been in there two weeks. I used fifteen gallons of water from my old tank, and the forty pounds of rock has been in there for a week (also from my old tank). Maybe the new plumbing needs to "slime up".

Joe
Old 11/21/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tktodd
I live about 2 hours from That Fish Place. I take a trip up there every month or two. I like that store alot. Anyway, your tank looks great!!

Hey,

You, czerbe, and I should meet there sometime ( turbonegro too, if he wants). Just leave us know when you're coming up next time, if you would like.

Joe
Old 11/22/2007, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Hey,

You, czerbe, and I should meet there sometime ( turbonegro too, if he wants). Just leave us know when you're coming up next time, if you would like.

Joe
That sounds good!! I will PM you sometime.
Old 11/22/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Hey just my 2 cents. Have you tried turning the sponge in your sump. I have a oceanic sump #1. With sponge turned that it drops right in, my wter level is even in my sump. I turned it the other way pushing it down, doing this made my water level drop on the return side. This makes my sump water level uneven. I wunder which is the correct way. It cut the crap out of micro bubbles.
Old 11/22/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Hi, New to the reef,

Thanks for the idea. I think I know what you are doing, but my sponge is the same size either way. The model 3 sump baffle also has three "slots" cut in on the overflow side, so the water can flow through the baffle (straight UNDER the sponge) without going through the sponge. Is your Model 1 this way? Both sides of my sump stay the same level with water, no matter what I do, because of those slots that are cut into the bottom of the baffle.

Joe
Old 11/22/2007, 11:15 AM
Registered Member

Hi Joe,

Yes I have the slots also. I thought my sponge was the same also but it's not. Did you push the sponge all the way down to the bottom of the sump?

Jeremy