Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2006, 02:19 PM
Moved On

I search and searched but how to do I build a tank rack???

I didnt find much I figure Dave M will chime in here shortly. I know its easy but I have ZERO DIY experience. Thinking of some 73"x36"x12" 130gal troughs at this time. That roughly 1000lbs per shelf.
Old 11/19/2006, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

In order to "build" something of that magnitude you really need some woodworking experience/ skills as well as tools. Lots of tools. Here is the fast and easy way, anyone can do it. Use 8 X 8 X 16 blocks (aka 8816's) for the uprights and 4 X 6 posts for the crossbeams. HD will even cut them for you to the length you want. Then place a sheet of 3/4 plywood across the beams, HD will cut that to size too. For 36" wide I'd have three crossbeams.

For that width you would need 12 8816's to make a stand 24" tall and 3 4X6's cut to length. Then have the plywood cut to fit the raceway and set it in place screwing it down to the crossbeams. If you want to go up another level make the whole thing 16" longer than you need it and just keep going up. (you'd have to buy 10' 4x6's) Two blocks end to end will only be ~32" so the plywood and raceway will extend 2" beyond both front and back.

Make sense? I don't know of any faster, cheaper or easier way as long as looks don't really matter. I'm guessing it would cost less than $100 for a single level stand.
Old 11/19/2006, 08:34 PM
Moved On

How bout dealing with wood rot?
Old 11/20/2006, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

You can seal it with polyeurathane like a regular stand, or paint it if you like.

Actually saltwater preserves wood, so you don't even need to do all that if you don't want too.
Old 11/20/2006, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Yes and no, it's not spilled saltwater that is a problem as salt is a preservative, but if there is a high level of humidity in the room it will eventually take a toll. You won't see it in solid wood for many, many years but plywood tends to delaminate after a few years of exposure to moisture. Even so you will most likely move or rebuild long before this is a problem.