Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Red Mangroves

Can someone tell me where I can buy Red Mangroves?
Old 12/29/2007, 05:51 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

I bought a bunch off a guy on Ebay a couple years ago. I think i paid around a dollar each. If buying them for nitrate/phosphate removal dont bother, you would need 30 of them to equal a baseball size clump of chaeto. They do look cool though.

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/29/2007, 05:56 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

This was just posted in the Want to Sell Forum: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1281469

If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 12/29/2007, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Aquarium Adventure on Golf road had some.I think they where 2.99 a piece.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

I have some. I grow them from seeds. Where are you located?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:28 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by flapjack1439
I have some. I grow them from seeds. Where are you located?
PM me regarding mangroves, I would like some please. To be shipped to 56701.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 12/30/2007, 01:48 AM
barnacle boy

EBAY does have them from Hawaii 21 for like 20 bucks including shipping. i dont trust that shipping from so far but he has great feedback.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:51 AM
sweeeet!!

I ordered some from eBay on Dec 7. No response from the guy. Filed a complaint or whatever they call it with eBay and PayPal. I prefer to shop here.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 12/30/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Im in blomingdale where are you? Can I come and pick some up?
Old 12/30/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

You have pm.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

So it is safe to assume that since I just paid $15 for ONE from Sea Schor that I got ripped off. LOL. I thought I was paying a high price for it, but didn't think I was getting THAT ripped off, thanks Steve. Not a big deal to me personally but I completely agree with people when they complain about some of the prices at the LFS.

Last edited by saleenpwr88; 12/31/2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saleenpwr88
So it is safe to assume that since I just paid $15 for ONE from Sea Schor that I got ripped off. LOL. I thought I was paying a high price for it, but didn't think I was getting THAT ripped off, thanks Steve. Not a big deal to me personally but I completely agree with people when they complain about some of the prices at the LFS.
So you didn't research and price what you wanted and you feel it's someone else's fault that you feel you over paid. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

Getting ripped off is when you don't get what you bargained for. You, on the other hand made an impulse buy and now want to take it out on the lfs.

Sea Schor is a fine store and I've found them nothing but fair.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:54 PM
barnacle boy

every LFS has their own groupies that stick up for them.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Do you research everything you buy flapjack? I knew I was paying a high price and didn't really care. I still feel like I was getting ripped off though. You think it's fair to offer a 2.99 item for 15. I don't have time to research everything I buy, especially something that cost 15 bucks, give me a break dude.

Last edited by saleenpwr88; 12/31/2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Patrick's got some home grown.
I got 10 from ebay, no troubles, under $20 shipped, slowly shipped but they got here.
Old 01/01/2008, 01:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by madadi
every LFS has their own groupies that stick up for them.
Groupy? Hardly, the guy's wrong.

Quote:
Do you research everything you buy flapjack? I knew I was paying a high price and didn't really care. I still feel like I was getting ripped off though. You think it's fair to offer a 2.99 item for 15. I don't have time to research everything I buy, especially something that cost 15 bucks, give me a break dude.
Yes, I do.

For a guy that who "knew he was paying a high price" and "really didn't care", you're doing a lot of moaning for $15. Give ME a break.

Sea Schor is a fine establishment.
Old 01/01/2008, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

I made one comment and then YOU decided to make the comment that I didn't research my purchase. I didn't know that a business is supposed to take advantage of un-educated consumers, LOL. Must be nice to have the time to research everything you buy...whats the going rate for a box of Q-Tips, I'm almost out and don't have the time to research the price...can you help me????
Old 01/01/2008, 09:01 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

If i see something at a LFS that looks interesting and is safe and appropiate for one of my tanks, I buy it if I can afford it. I dont go home and research it and then go back and buy it.
I hope I spelled everything korrektly

Old 01/01/2008, 09:03 AM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

HNY

Last edited by Engine 7; 01/01/2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I made one comment and then YOU decided to make the comment that I didn't research my purchase. I didn't know that a business is supposed to take advantage of un-educated consumers, LOL. Must be nice to have the time to research everything you buy...whats the going rate for a box of Q-Tips, I'm almost out and don't have the time to research the price...can you help me????
You didn't "make a comment", you attacked a man's livelyhood over a $15 purchase. You have no idea what the store's cost is, so accusing them of ripping you off is irresponsible.

I recently purchased peppermint shrimp, on sale, at Living Sea for few bucks each. That doesn't mean that the other stores, including Living Sea, are ripping me off because the normal price is substantially higher.

I have found Sea Schor to be more than fair.

If you take the time to check the pricing you won't cry about over paying.

By the way, I can get you some Q-tips for $30, give me a call.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

If you live in florida you could get mangroves for free and sell them for a dollar. Last time I checked, there weren't any mangroves growing out of the ice on the lake so it is fair to assume that SeaSchor had to pay a few people to get them there. Hence, the cost goes up. I'm sure Steve wasn't thinking about how rich he was going to get off of his $15 mangroves. I don't usually get involved in these bickering matches but people here seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that stores have to make money to stay open. Obviously there are some stores like Aquarium Adventure that are ridiculous but if you don't value the product for what they are charging, don't buy it. But don't slam the stores because something costs more than you think it should, you have no idea what they had to pay for it. I would've thought that Sharky's and Aquatic Reef closing would have inspired a little compassion in the hobbyists to spend some money in stores so that they can stay open and you can actually look at what you're buying.
Old 01/01/2008, 09:58 PM
Registered Member

Poor mdefo25, its his 5th post and his thread has been hijacked by an argument over priciples. Run for the hills man.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

To be honest if u ordered it online u would have to wait to get it plus pay for the shippings. So what is more important to you getting ur products right away and being able to see exactly what your getting or paying a little bit smaller of a price and getting something that u had to wait for and never got to see exactly what u were gunna get. Thats all personal preference me myself id rather pay the extra dollar here or there to see the product im getting and being able to keep lfs in business. Have u ever looked at your bills to run your tank it gets pricey. Now take a look at a lfs bill to run the shop i guarantee that there bills are atleast twice yours if not more. I have no affiliation with any store and i do shop around and sea schor is a prefered shop of myn but come on people.

Quote:
Old 01/02/2008, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

I like Sea Schor and wasn't intentionally trying to bash them, but I guess it came off that way. I just think, and still do, that $15 for a mangrove is HIGH. I didn't shop the price after I bought it, I just saw this post and thought I just got ripped off for paying $15 when Aqaurium Adventure was charging $3. Lesson learned: keep my comments to myself
Old 01/02/2008, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

Nah. by all means voice your opinion, it's as important as anyone's.

But please, try to avoid inflammatory words like "ripped off".