Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Marine Aquarium Society (FMAS) - Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Thinking about adding a lobster... opinions???

I am thinking of adding a reef lobster to my reef tank. I saw an orange and purple lobster called a Debelius reef lobster on liveaquaria and liked it (reaches 5" max according to the site). Not sure if it will behave in my setup or if it will get along with my cleaner shrimp. I dont have any other shrimp besides the cleaner but i do have lots of snails and fish. Can you guys gimme some ideas, opinions, experiences, etc with having a lobster in my setup?

heres a pic

Also, i am trying to remove a serpent star that i think may have killed 2 of my wrasses that sleep where he hides. You guys think a serpent star may have eaten a pair of sleeping wrasses or am i crazy? Note: the last one was killed during a 3 day lights out in the tank (kill off some nuisance algae) so i think the star got him since he was extra time in his sleeping hole.

salinity: 1.025
ammo: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
ph :8.0-8.3
alk: 4
calcium: 450-500

(knock on wood...)
Old 01/05/2008, 04:54 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Short answer, don't do it.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1286099
Old 01/05/2008, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

RW, that's what i thought.... Kinda hoping i could get away with it but i guess reality is setting in. I had crabs and pep shrimps but they were all killed (crab on crab warfare and wrasse on shrimp warfare ... i think). I want some more inverts but i need something strong like my cleaner or even my snails (lose a snail here and there but not often)

salinity: 1.025
ammo: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
ph :8.0-8.3
alk: 4
calcium: 450-500

(knock on wood...)
Old 01/05/2008, 05:18 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
Well, I know Mel (reddawg43) has one, but again, I wouldn't suggest it. I don't have those problems anymore since interceptor
Old 01/06/2008, 02:37 AM
What next???

Hold up....I have a spiny lobster...not a Blue reef lobster.
But Eddie don't try to copy me...so don't do it!
Just kidding...... keep in mind with a lobster, you might one day wake up to one less fish. It could be a $20 fish or a $100 fish, they are not picky.

I am smiling while I eat my cheetos.
Old 01/06/2008, 03:18 AM
Registered Member

I have two spiny lobsters in my tank, they dont have any claws. So far, as long as they are fed (which I hand feed every other day), they really dont hunt if their not hungry and I have small fish and all types of shrimps! They are out and about in the tank and chill, theyre really neat to see.
Old 01/06/2008, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Eddie,

Just put rubber bands around the claws like they do in the Publix tank. That will keep it from killing your other inverts and or fish. You can change the color of the rubber bands to match the season. I had green and red rubber bands on mine for Christmas.

Getting up in the morning sucks, but it beats the alternative.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:38 AM
What next???

Quote:
Originally posted by invertigator
I had green and red rubber bands on mine for Christmas.
I am scare to ask what you had the rubber bands on since you do not have aany kind of lobster in your tank...LMAO!!

Bernie...
remember they do get bigger, and there's always the possibility that they might chomp on a fish. It's risk you take in keeping a lobster...
Old 01/06/2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

I know they get bigger and its a possibility, as it is a possibility w a fox or angel deciding to chomp on on corals, butIm just saying that theres ways to reduce the risk. And if they do commit a crime, they are probably one of the easiest things to catch.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invertigator
Eddie,

Just put rubber bands around the claws like they do in the Publix tank. That will keep it from killing your other inverts and or fish. You can change the color of the rubber bands to match the season. I had green and red rubber bands on mine for Christmas.
that was good, you can reuse the red one for Valentine's Day. LOL
Old 01/06/2008, 03:21 PM
What next???

Bernie....Eddie has $60 and more expensive fish....
not the low end fish we keep. I do not think it is a risk worth taking for Eddie. Eventually I strongly feel they will stock and catch a fish....
Also the lobsters diet does consist of mainly meat, and the diet of a fox or an angel does not mainly consist of corals.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:04 PM
Registered Member

Too-she-A!!!