Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

Question adding a sump to a fuge

Right now I have a 10 gallon tank I'm using for a fuge,. I also have a
standard plexi wet/dry sump I would like to add to make more room in the fuge (get the skimmer and other media out) and also add more water to my system as well as a place to run carbon, poly, etc. (no bio balls)

So what would be an easy safe way to hook up a drain from the sump to the fuge? My first thought was a J tube, would that work? or do you know of something better?
Old 12/04/2007, 01:50 PM
mmmmmm Fish

Drilling is the most reliable and not as hard as you might think...

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve immortality by not dying"-- Woody Allen
Old 12/04/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Re: adding a sump to a fuge

Quote:
Originally posted by RONCGIZMO
Right now I have a 10 gallon tank I'm using for a fuge,. I also have a
standard plexi wet/dry sump I would like to add to make more room in the fuge (get the skimmer and other media out) and also add more water to my system as well as a place to run carbon, poly, etc. (no bio balls)

So what would be an easy safe way to hook up a drain from the sump to the fuge? My first thought was a J tube, would that work? or do you know of something better?

you have a 10gal tank
for what its worth (10bucks?) it might be worth it to try diy drilling it for a bulkhead... personally wouldnt do it any other way if i were you... could even take to glass cutter to have it done.

although the pics are overkill re to your question
they might give you some ideas... and show how simple things can be set up/inexpensively too!

the fts
shows the 50gal display fuge which sits directly under the main tank... it is fed by a fuge pump from the skimmer stage in the back and it gravity feeds back into the return stage... the 2 stages in the back are also connected to take care of any overflow that isnt handled by fuge pump (estimate 90% goes thru display fuge - rest gravity feeds into return stage of sump).

in the return stage of this sump
the chaeto is kept lit 24 hours and the main display fuge is only on same liting schedule as main tank...

the fuge is a 50gal
(same footprint as a 40gal breeder just taller)... and is drilled on the right side (as face tank) w/a simple overflow... water comes in from the left and is directed towards the overflow/right side to help the surface film over the overflow

no pumps are touching the plastic on these bins
as they are not necessarily meant to hold water for any length of time (probably sensitive/react to heat/vibration of pumps) - was only a simple solution created that fit into the space behind the tank allowing for bottom stand to be dedicated to the fuge that is there... as inexpensive as these are - the first sign of any degradation they can be easily pulled and replaced (for about 6bucks!)... if one was to go this route the hard plastic bins would probably be a better choice... these have been up now since may of this year - no probs thus far!

there are also lots of improvements to be made
to this 2 stage sump also - as time goes on... literally thrown together in middle of night when glass sump broke.

nothing has been done w/ this system for about 3-4 mos
our level of interest in this hobby has grown and getting ready here soon to start transitioning over into SPS (currently LPS)

regards

Last edited by WarrenAmy&Maddy; 12/04/2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Re: Re: adding a sump to a fuge

Quote:
Originally posted by WarrenAmy&Maddy
you have a 10gal tank
for what its worth (10bucks?) it might be worth it to try diy drilling it for a bulkhead... personally wouldnt do it any other way if i were you... could even take to glass cutter to have it done.

although the pics are overkill re to your question
they might give you some ideas... and show how simple things can be set up/inexpensively too!

the fts
shows the 50gal display fuge which sits directly under the main tank... it is fed by a fuge pump from the skimmer stage in the back and it gravity feeds back into the return stage... the 2 stages in the back are also connected to take care of any overflow that isnt handled by fuge pump (estimate 90% goes thru display fuge - rest gravity feeds into return stage of sump).

in the return stage of this sump
the chaeto is kept lit 24 hours and the main display fuge is only on same liting schedule as main tank...

the fuge is a 50gal
(same footprint as a 40gal breeder just taller)... and is drilled on the right side (as face tank) w/a simple overflow... water comes in from the left and is directed towards the overflow/right side to help the surface film over the overflow

no pumps are touching the plastic on these bins
as they are not necessarily meant to hold water for any length of time (probably sensitive/react to heat/vibration of pumps) - was only a simple solution created that fit into the space behind the tank allowing for bottom stand to be dedicated to the fuge that is there... as inexpensive as these are - the first sign of any degradation they can be easily pulled and replaced (for about 6bucks!)... if one was to go this route the hard plastic bins would probably be a better choice... these have been up now since may of this year - no probs thus far!

there are also lots of improvements to be made
to this 2 stage sump also - as time goes on... literally thrown together in middle of night when glass sump broke.

nothing has been done w/ this system for about 3-4 mos
our level of interest in this hobby has grown and getting ready here soon to start transitioning over into SPS (currently LPS)

regards

Thanks for a lot of great information...

the 10 gallon tank is already a fuge..The tank itself is a 37 gallon.
right now I'm using the fuge as a sump as well, it's working out ok but I was redoing a stand and I thought WTH...might as well step it up a bit and add the sump...I thought I might get away without drilling the glass buy hey...ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 12/05/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: adding a sump to a fuge

Quote:
Originally posted by RONCGIZMO
Thanks for a lot of great information...

the 10 gallon tank is already a fuge..The tank itself is a 37 gallon.
right now I'm using the fuge as a sump as well, it's working out ok but I was redoing a stand and I thought WTH...might as well step it up a bit and add the sump...I thought I might get away without drilling the glass buy hey...ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

this hobby is so much fun! -
there are so many different things that can be done... on a grand scale (see weathersons thread as well as many others RC) down to the simplest least expensive scale (such as mine!) and EVERYWHERE in between...

have many different hobbies but this one BY FAR
exceeds any other in the 'addictive' category!

good luck w/ it!
and lets see some pics of what you end up with.

regards