Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Exclamation Fish that die Mysteriously

I lost a "perfectly healthy" fish (Bicolor Anglefish) over the weekend. The fish was the strongest in my tank for almost a year, ate pellet, flakes, everything, and was eating fine the previous night. Next morning I found the fish lying on the sand, and he died shortly after. Even when the fish was dead, there was no signs of sickness or illness. All the other fish are fine.

I then remembered that I've read articles and posts of fish that just die after a certain time. Some of these fish include:
Copperbands
Flame Angels
Some Wrasses
and so I wondered if the Bicolor could be one of them?

I thought it could be a good idea if we could make a list of fish that are super sensetive and/or fish that can die very quickly for no apparent reason. This list could then warn others thinking of purchasing these fish.

Please give your opinions and experiences
Old 12/03/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

From my experience the Copperband definitely would be one. I tried three and one died within the first week, but the other two did the mystery death at 6 months for both.

I can't think of any others right now, but it would be good to have others chime in to assist others.
Old 12/03/2007, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I just lost a Powder Blue Tang the same way - the night before he looked great and then the next day, curtains!
Old 12/03/2007, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

I had a Blue/Green Chromis for almost a month. Was eating and swam around unharassed, then I wake up one day to find his corpse stuck to the filter. Fed him to my condy.
Old 12/03/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1
Old 12/05/2007, 10:35 AM
Registered Member

Although I didn't know about flukes, I still don't think my angel had flukes. It never twitched its head, and was still eating on Thursday night, I hand feed my fish and observe them to see that everyone eats. The next morning he was lying flat on the sand, and later that day he went to angel heaven. That's a bit too quick for flukes. And there is no other symptom like stray voltages, pH of -1 or something like that because it is almost a week and all my other fish and inverts are fine. Maybe it was just his time to go. I guess it is just the suddenness that boggles me! (sorry for the bad spelling )