Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2007, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

OT - Comcast SUCKS!

Had an appointment yesterday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m to fix my cable service. They showed up at 1:30 and couldn't fix it. Made another appointment between 7 a.m. and 8 a.m. They called at 8:15 and said they couldn't make it until between 8 and noon. Now I've been on hold for 20 minutes waiting for a supervisor. What's with their customer service?! About 3 months ago they threatened to take me to court because they accidentally put my name on some one's delinquent account. After about 5 hours of phone time they finally realized their mistake. What a joke!
Old 10/24/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Comcast is a joke...but in my case I have to use them. You think your appointment was bad, one time I had an appointment were they just didn't show up. I called and they told me they were sorry. The only way to get anything is to threaten to cancel. And the trick with getting to speak to someone is when you are prompted with the options, always choose one that pertains to upgrading or adding service. For some reason they always have people available to take those calls. I can't tell you how much a HATE Comcast. They have a monopoly and it is not fair.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

I also hate Comcast. I had them for about 2 years about 2 years back. It seemed like every month they found another reason to raise our bill $5. After that I switched to Dish and have never been happier.

Comcast's customer service is awful, but most cable companies are. It's just a joke to me that any company can say I'll be there between 8 and 8. What the *%$@ is that?!?!?!

If I told that to my cases or my supervisor, I'd be fired, but in that world it's somehow acceptable and everyone else needs to bend over and take it in the @$$ to adapt to their wack @$$ way of doing things.

There are few things in this world I hate more then Comcast!
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 10/24/2007, 09:18 AM
A.K.A. colinadam

Another happy Dish customer here.

$40 per month for all local channels, Top 100 cable channels (MTV, CNN, Discovery, etc...), and a DVR receiver. I have had a rate hike from them in 3 years.
Most people hear dish and think that the signal goes out when a breeze over 5 mph blows but that is just not the case. It takes VERY strong weather to mess with the signal and even then it's only for a short time. I can count on one hand the number of times it has gone out on me and they have great customer service.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:31 AM
The BS stops here!

I hear ya. At one time, they screwed me around so much that I had a full year of free service when all of the credits were added up.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

lol I would have to agree to their suckiness, only reason I still have em is b/c I get free cable :-)

Thou Shalt Love Thy Wrasse
Old 10/24/2007, 09:39 AM
Premium Member

yea if u call them and tell them you want to leave, they will offer to lower your monthly payments

Thou Shalt Love Thy Wrasse
Old 10/24/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

I agree with the person who said that it sucks they have a monopoly on the industry... but to be honest, their broadband speeds are much better than the other cable company that's out there - Wide Open West.

Great broadband speeds are the most important thing to me, seeing as how I love playing games online over my Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3.

Speaking of threatening to cancel their service, I think I need to try that soon... when I first moved into my house, I got a year long promotion where I was barely paying $70 for internet and cable combined... a few months ago, my cable bill was nearly double that $70 amount, and I only have the basic cable package (w/HBO and Showtime)... I don't even get the G4TV channel anymore!

What is up with that, Comcast? Oh... I know... you're just all about raking in more and more cash.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Same here. I switched over to RCN and got their mach 20 service - 20mbit down, (crappy up) with a static IP - its freaking awesome; and sure it costs a bit more, but the speed is insane. Kinda a rocky start, but things have settled down and I haven't had any outages recently (knock on wood). Check 'em out if they have service in your area.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

DirecTV here! I am on the board of my association and the first thing I did on the board was to switch us over to DirecTV from Comcast. They suck big time.

When I returned my cable box to their office on North Ave, there was a large line of at least 40 people with their boxes. People were very angry about the wait. I spoke up and told everyone that they needed to cheer up and savor the moment, "This is the absolute last time you will ever have to deal with this sh@t company." It went over very well with the crowd, but not so well with Comcast.

I have AT&T/SBC for DSL. 3 megs for $25. Very very few people will ever need more than 3 megs for their home.

Jim

170 gal curved glass
Solaris H4
AE400
ACIII Pro
Turf Scrubber
LiterMeterIII
Nanostream 6055
LifeReef LCR1
Old 10/24/2007, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by N3gative Cr33p

Great broadband speeds are the most important thing to me, seeing as how I love playing games online over my Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3.

What is up with that, Comcast? Oh... I know... you're just all about raking in more and more cash.
I use AT&T's DSL (formerly SBC) for my gaming. I upgraded to their one of their faster packages which is in the realm of 3 to 4.5 Mpbs, and I pay $24.99 for my internet each month from them. That's not the cr@ppy @$$ promotional deal either. That's the every monnth regular rate. The promotional rate was $14.99 back in the day when I started it. I don't know man, I never have any issues gaming on line, and I know I pay far less that I would if I had Comcrap.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 10/24/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steri
I don't know man, I never have any issues gaming on line, and I know I pay far less that I would if I had Comcrap.
Do you play online games over your PC, or a gaming system? If you play on Xbox 360 or PS3, you should send me a friend list invite... it'd be cool to play a game with someone from these forums.

My Xbox Live screen name is my forum name... my PlayStation Network name is slightly different than my Xbox Live name.
Old 10/24/2007, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by N3gative Cr33p
Do you play online games over your PC, or a gaming system? If you play on Xbox 360 or PS3, you should send me a friend list invite... it'd be cool to play a game with someone from these forums.

My Xbox Live screen name is my forum name... my PlayStation Network name is slightly different than my Xbox Live name.
I play on Xbox 360. My gamertag is stevizzle (ya, I'm awesome like that). I play a lot of Halo 3 right now, and will soon be playing a lot of Guitar Hero 3. I also play Madden and well, I play a lot on Xbox Live.

I'll send you a friend invite, if you beat me to it, you can do the same Good times will be had by all
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 10/24/2007, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

Way back in the early days of broadband comcast sent a team of "professional installers" to run a line for my cable modem. These yahoos managed to not only fail to install the cable, but they knocked out my phone service as well. Comcast is also famous for rate changes once you are on board. I'm ATT & Direct TV - both have their problems as companies but at least anyone who comes to my door actually is wearing a company uniform and doesn't simply have a magnet stuck on the side of their truck.
Old 10/24/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf pup
I'm ATT & Direct TV - both have their problems as companies but at least anyone who comes to my door actually is wearing a company uniform and doesn't simply have a magnet stuck on the side of their truck.

Agreed, all of them have their problems, but man, that was an awesome line! Oh the memories of Comcrap
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 10/24/2007, 11:53 AM
Registered Member

Comcast is a joke...but in my case I have to use them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doesn't the satellite signal reach your house?
Old 10/24/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Question about AT&Ts DSL. Do you have to have a phone line to use that service. I just have a cell and don't even have a land line in my condo. Any one know if you can just have the DSL without the phone line, or how much extra the phone would cost. I would do almost anything to drop Comcast!
Old 10/24/2007, 12:34 PM
Premium Member

Back when ATT was SBC they would NOT hook up residential DSL without a residential phone line account. Not sure if that has changed but I doubt it.
Old 10/24/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by steri
I'll send you a friend invite, if you beat me to it, you can do the same Good times will be had by all
Okay... sounds good. I'll look for the invite, or send you an invite when I get home from work tonight.

Does anyone else on the forums play online games? Perhaps if enough people did, we could have a "Reef Central" Texas Hold 'em tournament... that sounds like it could be fun.

Here's what I have been playing lately:

skate
BioShock
Guitar Hero 3 (next week... can't wait!)
The Simpsons Game (next week... can't wait!)
Old 10/24/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Bioshock was pretty decent, but ya, an online hold um tourney or something like that would be fun!
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 10/24/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saleenpwr88
Question about AT&Ts DSL. Do you have to have a phone line to use that service. I just have a cell and don't even have a land line in my condo. Any one know if you can just have the DSL without the phone line, or how much extra the phone would cost. I would do almost anything to drop Comcast!
My understanding is that yes, you do need a working phone line in the home for a DSL line. My wife and I set it up so that all we pay for each month is local calls. I don't know how much it would cost to get a phone line put into the home, but you don't need a phone to put into the line. Just an active phone line.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 10/24/2007, 05:08 PM
Premium Member

I agree about comcast. I had it for years but got WOW instead about 6 mos ago and it isn't a lot cheaper but at least the customer service is much, much better. They have high speed internet at different speeds so yo needn't pay for more than you need. I tried Dish network before but eveytime it rained or snowed there was no picture. So far, no outages on the WoW cable or modem have occurred. I have DSL at work and it is ok but a bit slower than I'd like. It does tend to screw up every now an then and both phone and internet go out but that has happened only a few times in the last 4 years.,
Old 10/24/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

My experience with Comcast has been just the opposite...great service...always there when they say they will be and call just before they get here to let you know they're coming. In Chicago they give us a 4 hour window...and I've never had them miss.
AT&T...now that company has always been a NIGHTMARE for me...back in March I thought I would give them a 2nd chance and switch over all my services to them...the filters for the phones didn't work, sounded like I was in the bottom of a well. The DSL took forever and a day...5-10 minutes just to get to my home page...I cancelled the whole thing before the DirectTV even went in. And that guarantee...if your not happy, it won't cost you anything is BS...it cost me $152.00 and I still can't get an answer as to why. I returned the wireless router and stuff...faxed them a copy of the UPS receipt that shows I handed it off to UPS and their response...TOUGH...we didn't get it...a receipt showing you sent it isn't good enough...NEVER AGAIN...
Old 10/24/2007, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

In the process of talking the association board to switch from Comcast to DirecTV, there were several board members that were bitterly opposed to going with satellite and kept pushing to give Comcast "one last chance". What finally pushed it over the edge is when we could not get Comcast to respond for over 4 months! For 4 months, we could not get a response out of Comcast, no matter how hard we tried. When they finally did reply, after we terminated service and signed with DirecTV, they were obnoxiously overpriced and completely arrogant with their terms and conditions.

Good riddance.

Jim

170 gal curved glass
Solaris H4
AE400
ACIII Pro
Turf Scrubber
LiterMeterIII
Nanostream 6055
LifeReef LCR1
Old 10/24/2007, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Well, at least here in the Chicagoland area, we have a few choices,not great ones, but at least a choice. Where I am retiring to there is 1 phone company that serves the county...no one else...if you want a land line you have to deal with them...no cable or DSL for the computer, only dial up at speeds that couldn't beat a snail in a race. I'm researching satellite links cause I just have no where else to go.