Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/11/2007, 11:09 AM
Registered Member

911 Please HELP!!

During the night the automatic feeder fell into the tank (75Gal), with 2 AA Bateries and i didnt knew until now!! The water is not clear at all, but fish and corals seem "normal", i am gonna do a 15Gal water change and i just added some bufer. What else can i do? How bad the damage could be?

THANKS!

Last edited by KalimanMX; 10/11/2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:10 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by KalimanMX
During the night the automatic feeder fell into the tank (75Gal), with 2 AA Bateries and i knew until now!! ...

THANKS!
if you knew until now why did not just not take it out earlier? either way water change and running carbon would be your best bets.

Last edited by ralphie16; 10/11/2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Re: 911 Please HELP!!

Quote:
Originally posted by KalimanMX
The water is not crear at all

This comment is uncalled for.~dc

Last edited by dc; 10/11/2007 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

I wouldn't think that the 2 batteries would do much damage in a 75 gallon tank. They are sealed, so i cannot see any material leaching in such a short period of time and the power of them is so small as to not cause any issues. Are you seeing any ill effects? KalimanMX's profile clearly says Mexico and not China - I don't think Pmolan's posted message speaks well for New Jersey, though.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

wow great response from the others on this forum. i think kali was saying that he didnt know until this morning that it happened. just do a few water changes over the next week and you should be fine keep an eye on your perams by testing them daily and dont dose anything extra unless your perams call for it.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

How mcuh food was in the feeder would be more of a concern to me. Keep an eye on ammonia and trite levels to make sure you dont get a spike.

Buenas suerte!
Old 10/11/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

H2OLUVSME - great point! I was too focused on the batteries to think about the food. Yes I agree, I also would be more concerned about any affect by overfeeding.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:55 AM
Moved On

Re: Re: 911 Please HELP!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmolan
*Edit*
profanity removed

Last edited by dc; 10/11/2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10/11/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Mods, I think you need to step in... I thought RC was was for reef enthusiasts who want to help each other with the hobby? I don't think some of the posts above are relevent... not to mention anything about mature, tolerant, understanding... mods?
Old 10/11/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Re: 911 Please HELP!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ralphie16
[profanity]
Thats what I did when I saw this thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by ralphie16
Well Chernobyl happened 21 years ago so any superheros that came out of it would be of legal age now to declare to the world their powers but alas none have as of yet. So with this in mind, if you had super powers which hard-to-keep fish would you grant captivate-care good health? I would choose the mighty Moorish Idol. Such a beautiful fish I can't take my eyes of them when I see them swimming around, so graceful they are. So unfortunate they do not do well in captivity.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics

Last edited by dc; 10/11/2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10/11/2007, 12:22 PM

Re: Re: 911 Please HELP!!

You should be fine. My suggestion is to do a water change ASAP just to dilute "some" contaminants (if there ever was one). As mentioned above, the extra food could trigger an Ammonia spike. Best of luck..

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmolan
*edited*
This is extremely uncalled for, IMO.

Last edited by dc; 10/11/2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10/11/2007, 12:32 PM
Registered Member

Poor KalimanMX! I think eveyone is jealous... they all wish they could be strippers and live in Mexico. KalimanMX do a big water change and syphin out the decaying food and you should be fine.
Old 10/11/2007, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Something similar happened to me about a month ago, but it was a digital thermometer that fell in the sump. I was more concerned about the screws that rusted over night, but there were no ill affects and all is well now. As said do some water changes and run carbon should be fine
Old 10/11/2007, 01:36 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

A few bad responses and you chase the OP away. All the OP wanted was help in a very scary time and some people just crack jokes. As long as you found the Auto feeder and removed any food that was laying around you should be fine. I would do a larger water change if possible and run some carbon. Hey at least this give you an excuse for a major cleaning.
Old 10/11/2007, 01:49 PM
Moved On

Re: Re: Re: Re: 911 Please HELP!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tkeracer619
Thats what I did when I saw this thread...
quote:Originally posted by ralphie16
Well Chernobyl happened 21 years ago so any superheros that came out of it would be of legal age now to declare to the world their powers but alas none have as of yet.....

Jeez i'm happy someone has a sense of humor.... PC tools. If you had all read my entire post (which was the very first post) you would have seen that I had given him the correct coarse of action to take. And we are just teaing the OP because who doesn't just love a Mexican stripper?

Last edited by ralphie16; 10/11/2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10/11/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Thanks to all for your help! i just made a water change, added more activated carbon and made sure the Ph was fine. About the food, i also have the same fear about the amonia, but ill add some bacteria just to make sure it stays down.

Fish are Ok, but some corals wont open at all, but nothing to bad.

By the way... Im mexican but my english is not that good, maybe Pmolan can write in spanish....
Old 10/11/2007, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m2434
Poor KalimanMX! I think eveyone is jealous... they all wish they could be strippers and live in Mexico.
KalimanMX was making a joke in his occupation. When people do this, I know they have a sense of humor. I was just busting balls a little. Seriously, say that phrase out loud and think of the chinese restaurant in christmas story.

Mods, I think you need to step in... I thought RC was was for reef enthusiasts who want to help each other with the hobby? I don't think some of the posts above are relevent... not to mention anything about mature, tolerant, understanding... mods?
Old 10/11/2007, 04:56 PM
RC Admin

Comments like that are not going to be tolerated.
Think again before hitting Submit on something like that.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 10/11/2007, 07:19 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by besl
Well you definately have to have some thick skin sometimes. Everyone just needs to ignore childish behavior and report.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/11/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Do you always edit out [profanity]? I thought that was a common expression.

Last edited by dc; 10/11/2007 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10/11/2007, 09:32 PM
Moved In

If you can't type it out, then you can't abbreviate it either. It's a clue. Your's isn't acceptable either. A lot of words are common, doesn't mean you can use them here.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/11/2007, 09:48 PM
Moved On

I am surprised this thread isn't closed yet the question was answered.Now people are just arguing.
Old 10/12/2007, 07:12 AM
Premium Member

This always makes me laugh.

Joe ****copo