Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 03:51 AM
Registered Member

Well, the only thing that I have come up with is to cut out the holes to where the water can flow over that part of the sump and into the return part of the sump. I can't put any baffels in mine cause of the size of the skimmer that I'm running. My return pump is outside the sump so that grants me a little more room. Right now I have a 10 gallon with a HOB overflow plumbed into my system for a fuge. Right now, it's a 6" sand bed just because I havent been able to get rid of the sand. But, I want to put everything under the tank. I also have a problem there cause I have two Gobies (convict and Dragon) that have moved all the sand away from the bottom of the tank so I will have to find a way to stop the light from coming in the bottom of the tank. I will post up what I have thought of tomorrow. Right now, it's bed time
Old 01/03/2008, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Any sump builders in the house I was thinking about feeding the fuge part with a power head, will that work? or should I stick with the split input?
Old 01/03/2008, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

oh! BTW, the power head would be from the output on my carbon reactor.
Old 01/03/2008, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

Well, I decided to put 2 10 gallon tanks under my tank and removed the sump. The first one is the fuge and the second one is the return pump/skimmer/heater tank. There are U tubes that connect the tanks and there is no problem with losing siphon. This is working out really well and the flow in the fuge is perfect. And, it fits better under my stand than the sump did.

And, Im sure that you can use the power head for the fuge but I think the return that is split with a valve is a better idea. The idea is to get the water from the tank to the fuge and not after the filter. At least, that is what I have read on here.
Old 01/03/2008, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Newlin can you post a picture of your two 20 gallon tanks and how you have them plumbed. Thanks,