Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Green Star Polyp and Flow Questions

I am going to be getting some corals from a fellow reefer and I wonder where GSP should be placed? High flow, med flow or low flow? I am thinking of putting it at the top where there is alot of flow is that good enough for them?

Last edited by FishAreFriends2; 11/19/2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11/19/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

I find GSP very adaptive creatures. I have one colony on the sand bed with very low flow and a different colony at the top with high flow and clearly alot more light than the first one and both do extremely well. Having said that, I recommend you place the GSP low (on the sand bed) and then move it up over a couple/few weeks.
Old 11/19/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

have gsp in couple tanks
amazing how it can grow extremely well even under low light conditions

placed a large 'bridge' shaped rock covered w/ gsp
right down on the floor of display where the strongest current flows - like to use it as a barrier in the areas w/ the strongest flow to prevent the sand from blowing all over... the gsp seems to like and of course its doing well... literally strong current from return pump blowing on it 24 hours day

and like to put it on the bottom
floor of main display away from the rest of the rock in the tank - to prevent it from spreading all over everything.

it also serves a useful purpose in the system
as nutrient export for what its worth - i have some in my fuge also for the same reason and well bec it grows all over everything.

i actually have both the green and brown varieties but prefer the green.
Old 11/19/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Ok I am going to place it at the top of my tank where a koralia3 will blow right above it, thats the area with the strongest current in my tank is.
Old 11/19/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

I saw some yesterday that looked like the flow would rip it appart. it was doing great.
Old 11/19/2007, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

dont really mean to hijack your thread, but I want to get my GSP to grow all over the back glass of the aquarium. what can I use to attach the chunk of GSP I have to the glass?

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 11/19/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

I just bought some gsp that are not attached to anything. Do i have to glue the mat or by wedging it into the rock will it attach itself?
Old 11/19/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

I hate to say this, but I would suggest you not put GSP in your tank. It's almost like a pest, and it's harder to scrape off than cyano. I regret having put it in my tank. Do a site search and you will find a lot of threads complaining about GSP.

Just my two cents.
Old 11/19/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

i had green star and they spread like wild fire with no flow good luck
Old 11/19/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

I love GSP, but keep it on an isolated rock on the sandbed, not in contact with any other rocks. This keeps the one tuffet I have nice and contained.

It's in a medium-flow area.

Tracy
Old 11/20/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by csabo98
I just bought some gsp that are not attached to anything. Do i have to glue the mat or by wedging it into the rock will it attach itself?
I'd use some supergel. I just got some frags from a friend of mine and glued them to the rock and they are doing well it seems in the high flow area, its 2 days already and they are slowly comming out.
Old 11/20/2007, 03:54 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

For fragging GSP, if you can carefully peel the mat off the substrate, the mat is maybe the easiest thing in reefing to SG to a new rock. maybe even try SGing pieces of mat right to the glass wall. it should spread off the SG before the SG falls off
(be sure to review your underwater-SG techniques first )

I have corky fingers Briarium (about the same size polyps and layout as GSP) and they love getting whipped by the turbulence off the main pH jetstream which zooms by only a couple inches away. And I mean whipped. heh, those little "handsies" are tough.
Old 11/20/2007, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

i move my GSP in my tank so often it actually just covered the original rock i bought it on and has not spread to other parts of the tank.