Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/04/2005, 04:52 AM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

AquaC Head Aches

Guys I'm no noob, but I am so frustrated with this skimmer. I've had it now for about 5 months and I am not happy. To be honest my Lees skimmer pulled out WAY more dark thick smelly skimate, the aquaC? I havn't ever had to empty it more than 2wice a month. Although I always do and clean out the chamber. I don't know what to do with this thing. It's set to the lowest setting and nothing, nearly. MarineDepot said it's their best seller. Also EVERYONE that has one seems to be very happy with it.

here are my stats.
it's the Mj1200 version
20g BB tank with 3 1.5in fish. I feed just enough twice a day.
skimmer is hanging off of the sump below. I cleaned it out completely 4 days ago so I figure it's going through a small break in, but either way. It's been like this since day one.

I'm wondering if all it's skimming is all there is in the tank. I also grow Calurpa in the sump. Tell me what you think

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 08/04/2005, 06:12 AM
V 'The Full Monti' V

Is it the Remora or RemoraPro? I'm assuming it's a Remora. Have you checked/cleaned the injector nozzle with the bottlebrush? If you look in the top you will see a white plug on the PVC elbow above the injector. You need to carefully remove the plug and scrub the injector with a long 1/4" bottlebrush (should be supplied with the skimmer).

Otherwise; make sure the MJ1200 is clean; and that the impeller is not old/worn. Another possibility is a faulty injector; If any foregin object is in the injector or if the injector is defective the skimmer wont work properly. On the in-sump models you can easily remove the injector to check/clean but on the Remoras it's less obvious.

What are you feeding? Sometimes flake foods can heavily inhibit skimmate formation.
Old 08/04/2005, 12:07 PM
Registered Member

I stupidly bought one and got the skimmer box and nothing I did worked.

It now sits in the basement collecting dust. it was a complete waste of money last count around $190. I do have a euro reef in my main tank and that is a real skimmer. The aqua c may be Md's best seller but it is not the best skimmer IMO.
Old 08/04/2005, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Yup, I think the RPs true long term performance is coming out. When I first got mine, it pulled out some nice stuff but a couple months later it pulled out hardly anything. I had to wet skim to get anything, and this was mostly clear-tea colored skimmate at most.

I think the CSS will soon takeover the affordable HOB skimmer market since the Remora has been getting such bad reviews lately.
Old 08/04/2005, 12:14 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Bi-weekly cleaning is really important with the remoras. The gunk that collects on the inside of the collection tube IS skimmate that's being removed.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 08/04/2005, 12:41 PM
Clam Trainer

I ran the urchin on an MJ 1200 for 3 years and had great results. All I did on the skimmer was run the cleaning rod through the hole where the plug is once every month or two, and i cleaned the throat of the collection cup each time i emptied it. The bigger issue was keeping the MJ running well. I love MJ's, but when they are powering a skimmer they are usually right near the bottom of the sump collecting junk etc. and need to be cleaned often. Not sure how your setup is since yours in a hang on, but that was my experience. I would buy another urchin in a heartbeat. Mine was super simple, reliable and very effective.
Old 08/04/2005, 01:03 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

I went through the entire thing and cleaned it few days ago....but I forgot about the injector. thing is even if it's dirty now it doesn't explain why it's never worked for my tank. I'll try the injector cleaning now and see what happens. I wish now that I spen the 70 buck extra and got the Euro Reef.

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

Old 08/04/2005, 01:31 PM
Me in Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by bluelabradore1
I stupidly bought one and got the skimmer box and nothing I did worked.

It now sits in the basement collecting dust. it was a complete waste of money last count around $190. I do have a euro reef in my main tank and that is a real skimmer. The aqua c may be Md's best seller but it is not the best skimmer IMO.
You could advertise that on the selling forum and it would be sold in a few minutes.
Old 08/04/2005, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

I'll buy it how much?? PM me if you want to sell
Old 08/04/2005, 01:47 PM
Me in Iraq

4 minutes...see?
Old 08/04/2005, 01:53 PM
Premium Member

I love mine for sure. Very little to do to keep it going. I have the pro with a mag 3 on a 90 gallon.
I understand all I have to do if I want more is move up to a mag 5.

It did take mine almost a month to really start working right and use the skimmer box that most people hate.

I do understand if your having problems that the remora support is great, have you tried contacting them? I never had to and hope I never do.
Old 08/04/2005, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

mine died after a year for some reason...just did not get anything out.
Old 08/05/2005, 02:58 PM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

ok I cleaned out the injector and it seems to be doing a LITTLE better. One thing that i didn't check on till yesterday was my salinity. It's funny how laziness sets it as the years go by in this hobby. Anyway, I used my brand new Refractameter after making sure it was dead on with distilled water and low and behold, just over 1.020. Now that could deffinatly be a reason why I'm not getting foam. Seems that the redsea manual hydrometer is 3 off. tisk tisk. if you don't have one yet there is a Refractameter for $38 on sale at drsfosterandsmith.com JUMP on it because that's cheap. Good quality too. So I put salt in my top off container so it'll add slowly as it tops off. We'll see if i get more foam.