Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/21/2007, 08:49 PM
Anemone Freak

Help understanding types of lights

Ok, well we currently have a 40L with T5 Lights (because we were told they were really good, and they seem to be really nice)

My main question is what are the differences between PC, T5, and MH Lights? Is a T5 one of those two? Any info would be awesome!! Thanks in advance!
Old 01/21/2007, 08:56 PM
Anemone Freak

Help understanding types of lights

Ok, well we currently have a 40L with T5 Lights (because we were told they were really good, and they seem to be really nice)

My main question is what are the differences between PC, T5, and MH Lights? Is a T5 one of those two? Any info would be awesome!! Thanks in advance!
Old 01/21/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

I'll keep this non-technical. PC (power compact) are small tube flourescent lights and with those you mentioned would be rated the weakest.

T5 lights are High Output flourescents and with individual reflectors for each bulb are rated just a smidge below a metal halide light.

Metal halide lights are the most intense of the 3 you mentioned . They also put out the most heat and cost the most to operate.

T5 put out quite a it less heat and are fairly inexpensive to run.

PC put out a little less heat than T5's and cost about the same to run.

I haveMH lights and when I have to change I will install T5 lights. Hope this helps answer things simply.
Old 01/21/2007, 09:04 PM
Anemone Freak

Awesome!!!! That was a way better explanation than I was expecting! For my new 55 Im about to start, Im definately going with another set of T5's. Thanks!!!
Old 01/21/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

pc's are the weakest of those 3, t5's are the next strongest, and MH are supposedly the strongest, but t5's are very comparible to MH. And are your t5's t5 HO (high output) or are they t5 NO (normal output). HO is the ones you want.
Old 01/21/2007, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

Now you can have the 2nd part of the answer.

With PC lights you can keep fish, of course, mushrooms, some soft corals like cabbage leather, some LPS corals like Star Polyps and maybe some zoanthids.

WithT5 lights you can keep all the above plus most LPS corals and also most SPS corals, clams, anemones and the like.

With metal halide lights you can keep all the above and anything else offered in the ocean. Some of the soft corals need shade until metal halide lights, though.

There, class dismissed.
Old 01/21/2007, 09:14 PM
Geek

I do not want to stir things up but there is a bit ofa debate with T5 versus MH. I think it depends on the configuration of your tank and how you have your lights setup and what not but T5s usually will be neck and neck with MH, in some cases reports of them being stronger. A tank is like a person- very individual in every way and has its own quirks.

I use T5 lighting as its less expensive int he long run- uses less power, replace bulbs less often, and really enjoy it. I feel confident I could keep anything that would live under MH as long as its acclimated properly and what not. You made a good choice!
Old 01/21/2007, 09:16 PM
Tang? What Tang!

Quote:
Originally posted by sytanek
Awesome!!!! That was a way better explanation than I was expecting! For my new 55 Im about to start, Im definately going with another set of T5's. Thanks!!!
Well now that we have a little explanation of lights, lets find what you really need? Yes, MH's are a great set up, but for what?, Yes T-5's are a great set up, but for what? Hell PC's are a awesome set up, but for what? I can keep everything under anyone of these lights, but what????? am I trying to do? This is where you need to let us know what you want to achieve, yes T-5"s are great!!, throw in in the wrong bulbs and T-5'S are crap, and ect.... with the rest of them.

What do you want? let us know and we can give a proper answer instead of a "this is what I have" or a guess. I am sure "they" have a great light system, but what do they have?? What do you want??
Old 01/21/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

I'm guessing that your tank is still cycling, if not just finished with the cycle. So, as Scuba Oz said, what do you plan on keeping in the tank? Just ask and we will answer.
Old 01/22/2007, 07:38 AM
Anemone Freak

Im not sure if they are HO or not, They are the Nova Extreme T5's. Those are what we have on our 2 month old 40L. The reason I was asking is because when we purchased everything for that tank, we had no clue what we were buying, just what the LFS recommended. That setup is working just fine.

This past weekend I got an awesome deal on a 55, so I picked it up. Just trying to do some research so I can make sure the equipment I am buying for the new tank is really the right stuff, and to make sure what we have on the 40 is correct also.

Im pretty sure Im going to go with another set of the T5's for the 55, after reading what you guys have said. Im going to go mostly fish and some softies, Nothing to fancy.
Old 01/22/2007, 07:44 AM
Anemone Freak

Zoom our first tank has finished cycling, couple weeks ago. It currently has 2 False Percs, A Pink and Blue Shrimp Goby, and a very small Scooter Blenny, all its going to have for quite a while.

For the 55, Im not sure what Im going to put in it quite yet. Going to take it a lot slower and buy nicer equipment before I get it up and running.

Thinking about going with the T5's, Perhaps the Pro Clear Aquatics Wet Dry(still researching refugiums, so that may change), Still looking for a protein skimmer that is affordable and decent. Then thinking hard about going with the TBS Package, since Tampa is only about an hour and a half away from me. Still trying to decide what to do with the fish probably something along the lines of a clown/gobys/not sure what else setup.