Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/17/2007, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

Used tank question....

I came across a great deal on a used 135gl tank 72 x 18 x 24
I bought it and noticed that it doesnt have any braces across the top, just the plastic trim around the top and bottom perimeter.
Is this OK, can I diy a brace if needed??

Also how can I tell if the glass is tempered, there is no sticker anywhere and I dont know who made the tank.

The silicone is all there and still soft, but without filling with water how can I make sure its water tight. There are a couple of spots where the thin part away from the corner is peeled a little, but the corners are thick and soft.

Thanks for taking a look.
Old 01/17/2007, 11:15 PM
Tang? What Tang!

First off, FILL the tank and see if it is okay. Most temper glass is at the bottom and unless you plan to drill should not matter one way or the other. If you want to drill buy a new tank, or contact the dealer of that tank.

Second, a top brace never hurts reguardless if the maker put one there or not, make your own if you need too, a piece of mind will go far in theis hobby!
Old 01/17/2007, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

Why do I have to buy a new tank to drill, and the "dealer" of the tank has no idea who made it. This is why I needed a hand..

Last edited by officerbogus; 01/17/2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01/18/2007, 11:05 AM
Premium Member

Anything....
Old 01/18/2007, 11:17 AM
One Good Friend

I have an older tank i'm using right now made by odell. They are very well made tank's and don't have the center piece for extra support. If its like mine, i'm sure its 3/4" glass. I didn't drill mine because its so thick and would be uncomfortable with thinking it made the tank weaker. I have a hot overflow that does its job fine. Good luck
Team RC Member

He saying to buy a new tank if you have to drill, so you can get a tank without a bottom piece of tempered glass that will shatter when you try to drill it. Contacting the dealer, he means the original manufacturer of that particular tank to find out if it has this tempered glass or not. If the guy you bought it from doesn't know, then best not to try unless you can get an expert to tell you what kind of glass it is. If the tank did not have a brace originally, then the manufacturer obviously did not feel it needed one. But adding a thick piece of acrylic or glass over the top and making a DIY brace is not a bad idea either. As it was mentioned, peace of mind goes along way in the hobby. As for testing the water tightness of the tank without filling it, you really can't. Stick the tank outside, fill it up, see if it leaks or not.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

There's only one way that I know of to tell if it's tempered!

Put a Bit to It!!!

Seriously though, I don't think there are many tanks that are completely tempered (I may be very wrong). I have taken the 'plung' on several that were un-identifiable. The first few seconds of the drilling are pretty stressful but after it doesn't shatter you're in the clear.

I would definately not attempt to drill the bottom unless you talk to the manufacturer but the back and sides should be fine.
Old 01/18/2007, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

papagimp, rusty..thanks a bunch great info.

Luke, mine is 1/2 inch thick glass. What do you mean by hot overflow. I bought an overflow with pump to remove the air. But I heard bad things about it quiting and your tank overflowing. Thats why I thought about drilling.
Old 01/18/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

I think he meant HOB or hang on back overflow. They either have the U tube or the pump kind (which I think are more prone to fail).