Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

125 Gallon Stock List....

Guys,
Have a 125 Gallon Mixed reef... 48x24x24 120 LBS LR....
Have Some zoos, ***. Mushrooms, Open Brain, Finger Leather, Xenia, Ect...
What I have so far fish wise...

Yellow Eyed Kole Tang 4 Inches
Sailfin Tang 3 Inches
Lineatus Wrasse 5 Inches
Mystery Wrasse 3 Inches
Bellus Angel 5 Inches
4 Blue Reef Cromis
Scooter Blenny 2 INCHES Healthy and Fat eating Bloodworms and pods, was one inch when bought....

CopperBand Butterfly
2 False Pecula Clowns Mated Pair

2 Cleaner Shrimp...

What fish would u guys recommend for an absolute Show Piece Fish??

Am I at my limit??

All Water parameters are good... 0 Nitrates....
Old 12/04/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Very Nice list, i personally think, that with a big tank like you have, U might consider a blue, chevron, or powder blue tang, those guys are show pieces just because of their colors. Good luck...
Old 12/04/2007, 07:19 PM
Premium Member

I really like the Powder Blue, but many have told me they are Ich Magnets, and highly territorial....
Old 12/04/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

If moneys not an issue here ya go http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden...1660&siteid=20
Old 12/04/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Keep in mind that in not too long, the sailfin will grow into the show fish. What about, I'm not sure, but is there female/male variations with Bellus Angels? What about getting a mate?

My vote would be for a blue throat trigger though...
Old 12/05/2007, 12:25 AM
hobbyist

There's always that urge we have to add "just one last fish." If your tank is healthy now and parameters are in check, I'd suggest leaving it alone. The addition of any new fish can upset a balance and might just be enough to booger up the whole works. Some of your fish have considerable growing to do and I think in time, the tank might look a bit smaller. You already have a few fish that could be considered show specimens. Let them develop to that level.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:00 AM
Team RC Member

Well I'll be the bad guy and say that I think your tank is nearly full, and I;d be careful adding anything else....

The sailfin is gonig to get pretty big, pretty quick, he'll be your "show" fish.

The only thing I would consider adding would be maybe a falme hawkfish or the like - something with high visual impact but low biological / territory impact.....

You'v got 3 "large bodied" fish in there now - that is what i have in my 8x2x2 tank..... in fact you have more fish in your tank than I have in mind, period...... and I was just thinking last night how a powder blue and a pair of clowns would be taking my tank to teh limit..... for long term viability anyway..... but if you are the type to frequently change fish / trade back etc. then your options are a bit more open...... I personally like to keep mine long term though....

HTH

Matt

Matt
Old 12/05/2007, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

Matt,
I think I agree... Looking at my tank, looks like there is just enough room in there now. Another big fish would prolly start to cause some aggresion... Maybe a few smaller fish...

How about Anthias? Never tried one.. How is there Bioload??
Old 12/05/2007, 11:24 AM
Team RC Member

Allegedly, anthias represent a high bioload because they need alot of feeding to remain fat and healthy........

I say allegedly because I have 5 in my 8x2x2 tank, they've been there for 4 or 5 months now (I guess) and they are as fat, healthy, and colourful as the day I bought them, and I do not feed them anything special...... or maybe it is that I make sure my fish are well fed.......

So, in theory, they represent twice the bioload of say a goby of equal size, because of the extra food they supposedly eat, but in my opinion, all 5 of my lyretails represent equal or less than my 4-5" emporer angel.......

Your water parameters are good (although you don't specify, I will assume they are), and so long as you have a good maintenance regime and decent equipment, then bioload will not really be a problem..... your tank will be well overstocked in terms of territory long before it becomes biologically overstocked.

Another general thing about anthias is that they are supposed to bully the smallest memeber of the group to death...... mine do not quarrel at all, and the smallest guy has never had as much as a torn fin...... BUT, that being said I do have an 8' tank with very few fish (relatively).......

So, in short, I would not see a problem with adding say a trio of anthias, however you might want to get a seoncd opnion on putting 3 in a 4' tank..... as they might fight.....

The other thing is, you do have quite a few open water fish as it is...... and anthias are very active...... you might be pushing the boundaries by adding more......

I would definitely go with a substrate hugging species.......

My dealer has a pair of long nose hawkfish in a 4x2x2..... they look great...... dunno how feasible a pair of scarelet hawks would be, but they'd look even better.......

HTH

Matt

Matt
Old 12/05/2007, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Matt,
When I had my 55, my Mystery Wrasse beat the heck out of my LongNose hawk... To The death... Eventually he jumped out of a small hole.... I now use eggcrate for such fish, but even that is not certain....

For the most part, the fish I have now, not including my 2 Clowns, hangsout in the lower region of the tank. My Live rock goes up about maybe 40 Percent of the height of the tank... I wanted a small reef on the bottom, as well as some room for open swimmers... Even the bigger fish in the tank seem to dwell in the bottom caves and LR....

Maybe 3 Anthias would take up the upper regions..

My Water Parms are 80 Temp, SG. 1.024, Trates 0, PH 8.0 Calcium 425....

I'm running a Oceanic Sump under the tank for Filtration with Protein Skimmer..... Lighting is 2 150 Watt HQI Mount on Back Fixtures....