Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Feedback and Questions

Old 11/22/2005, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Sick of not being able to use Search Function

I'm so tired of seeing this screen when I want to search something, and I'm not going to buy the premium membership either. So what I usually do is ask a question i'm pretty sure has already been asked a million times but I can't find bc the search function only works at 3 AM. So my post ends up using up more bandwidth/wasting money for whoever owns this site.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/kysmith/...Too%20High.bmp
Old 11/22/2005, 11:33 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Blue

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 11/22/2005, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

i also have not been lucky at all(1 for about thirty in the last 3 weeks or so).......

on home page in top left there is a search tools option, use that(it doesn't seem to pull everything up but it is very usefull)

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 11/22/2005, 11:44 AM
Pulling my hair out

Bananas.
Old 11/22/2005, 11:48 AM
Guardian of Little People

I would demand a refund.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 11/22/2005, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Man, since I paid my very small fee, I have not been denied a search in a couple of months. It always works regardless of time of day etc.

I search on everything multiple time a day before i post or buy something. The search button is worth is weight in gold.
Old 11/22/2005, 11:52 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

I don't mind folks not liking the business decision that the owner of this board made regarding priority access to the search engine.

I do find it very frustrating having someone say that they can't stand not being able to search but know how to fix it and refuse to. It's your decision. You've made it. You need to accept that choice or choose another option.

What also bothers me is when folks make statements like:

Quote:
i also have not been lucky at all(1 for about thirty in the last 3 weeks or so).......
If it was accurate I'd have no problem with it. The fact of the matter is that you've tried 15 searches since November 1st and 3 of them were successful.

3 for 15 is just a little better than 1 for 30

/rant

Old 11/22/2005, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I find this helpful when I can not use the search function on the boards.

site: If you include [site:] in your query, Google will restrict the results to those websites in the given domain. For instance, [help site:www.google.com] will find pages about help within www.google.com. [help site:com] will find pages about help within .com urls. Note there can be no space between the "site:" and the domain.

This functionality is also available through Advanced Search page, under Advanced Web Search > Domains.

allintitle: If you start a query with [allintitle:], Google will restrict the results to those with all of the query words in the title. For instance, [allintitle: google search] will return only documents that have both "google" and "search" in the title.

This functionality is also available through Advanced Search page, under Advanced Web Search > Occurrences. v

intitle: If you include [intitle:] in your query, Google will restrict the results to documents containing that word in the title. For instance, [intitle:google search] will return documents that mention the word "google" in their title, and mention the word "search" anywhere in the document (title or no). Note there can be no space between the "intitle:" and the following word.

Putting [intitle:] in front of every word in your query is equivalent to putting [allintitle:] at the front of your query: [intitle:google intitle:search] is the same as [allintitle: google search].
Old 11/22/2005, 12:00 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

reefin300 - we even facilitate that by providing a link to it on the main menu:

http://images.hopdog.com/menu.jpg

Old 11/22/2005, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

I can only laugh at the ppl who pay no money and complain that the search feature is not working.

If you pay nothing you deserve NOTHING and therefor receive nothing.
Old 11/22/2005, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

beerguy....just trying to help the guy.
as you pointed out i have not been very successful lately(i think at least 2 of the three were back to back searches)

i am not complaining either, i know how to get it to work more for me, but haven't taken that step....so i was just pointing out other options to him, thats all.

Happy Reefin Everyone!

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 11/22/2005, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

I put

[http://www.reefcentral.com:] DIY deltec

into google and it returned results that were not all in reefcentral what gives?
Old 11/22/2005, 12:10 PM
a.k.a. "Keg Girl"

Can we stickie dc's thread about the search function and all the threads about it(http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=685720) and lock all the others? This is getting ridiculous...

**New avatar: me and the Philly Phanatic**
Old 11/22/2005, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
reefin300 - we even facilitate that by providing a link to it on the main menu:

http://images.hopdog.com/menu.jpg

LOL tisk tisk... what can you say....
Old 11/22/2005, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbirdjjones10
I can only laugh at the ppl who pay no money and complain that the search feature is not working.

If you pay nothing you deserve NOTHING and therefor receive nothing.
Every other forum I use is completely free because they get advertising revenue from the advertising. Same concept as radio, network television.............

I don't know why your flaming me, I provide renenue to this site because I use it and look at the advertisements. Meanwhile reefcentral's owners are being greedy "making business decisions" and you are defending them. So go ahead be on the side of all the scrooge's of the world.
Old 11/22/2005, 12:24 PM
Moderator Clone

Quote:
Originally posted by kysmith
Meanwhile reefcentral's owners are being greedy "making business decisions" and you are defending them. So go ahead be on the side of all the scrooge's of the world.
WOW!

Way to take complete ignorance and lack of understanding and use it to indict the owner of RC. If you read some of the other threads on this same topic in this forum (you won't even have to search), you'll find that "greed" has nothing to do with it. And perhaps someone unwilling to spend $24 a year shouldn't be calling others scrooge, eh?

Kevin
Old 11/22/2005, 12:36 PM
Moved In

http://images7.fotki.com/v106/photos...ife0778-vi.gif http://images12.fotki.com/v236/photo...opcorn3-vi.gif

http://images15.fotki.com/v245/photo...adhorse-vi.gif

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/22/2005, 12:49 PM
Premium Member

I am not flaming you at all. Its a free country and owners of this site can do what they please, they have earned it!

And yes I am on the side of RC they provide an invaluable service to this hobby.

If you use other forums that are free, buy all means stop using this one!

Also I don't know about you, but I pay an access fee/monthly bill to my cable company to be able to watch all those advertisements on TV. and I pay a fee to my sat radio too. Just because I see/use those commercials and once in a bluemoon buy something off a TV infomercial this does not mean I don't have to pay my monthly bill does it?

I think you would be very very surprised at what it costs to run this site, and I think you would take back your "greedy" remark once you saw the bottom line (profit margin) a lot of MOD's/ IT guys volunteer their time for FREE to make this site what it is and I thank them for it!!

Again, I am not trying to be ugly here, its just he fact that you are expecting something for free just because you get it free somewhere else. This is not how the business world works my friend.

I hope the owner of this site does turn a few bucks at the end of the year. After all, would you put up with all the whaaaa "I cant search" threads for free?

I guess I was raised diff than you my father always told me "you get what you pay for!"

With smiles,
Jason
Old 11/22/2005, 01:08 PM
Moved In

I personally applaud the staff for even being to respond to any of these search questions. If you even look down a few posts you can plainly see this has been brought up so many times it's rediculous.

Search

Search Function

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/22/2005, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kysmith
Every other forum I use is completely free because they get advertising revenue from the advertising. Same concept as radio, network television.............

I don't know why your flaming me, I provide renenue to this site because I use it and look at the advertisements. Meanwhile reefcentral's owners are being greedy "making business decisions" and you are defending them. So go ahead be on the side of all the scrooge's of the world.
you are getting flamed because there are what seems like 100 other threads on this subject. everything you have said has been said dozens of times already.repeating this over and over again isn't going to get things changed just because it is coming from someone else.
Old 11/22/2005, 01:25 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=714296

[closed]