Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a Canopy ?
Yes, I have a canopy 117 69.64%
NO Canopy for me 51 30.36%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03/17/2005, 02:13 PM
Medieval French Monkey

The canopy on my 55 came from PetSmart (where I also got the matching stand). It does the trick since I'm still in school, live in an apartment, and don't have access to tools to build my own. The canopy does accomodate a PC fixture, but MH would never fit. I had my dad cut out holes in the sides for the ventilation fans in the light hood (that really cooled down the lights).

I also have glass lids over my tank (I know those are generally frowned upon since gas exchange is important), but I'm just a little too paranoid at mounting a light fixture above open water.
Old 03/17/2005, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

I like the look of canopys on a tank. When I bought my tank it came with the canopy and it worked great because my t-5 lighting fit perfect under it. I do not have a pic of my full tank at this time by by this weekend I will and it will be on my web page.
Old 03/17/2005, 02:39 PM
Fish nerd

I had a canopy on my first reef tank then went with a pendant on my smaller tank. I ended up loving the easy access and the top-down views so did away with the canopy on the original tank as well. I got tired of fighting with my canopy every time I needed to do in-tank maintenance and always needing a second person to help me. So much of the time I was left struglling with it on my own because hubby wasn't home or was busy when I was needing help. The 2-inch scar on the back of my arm from a metal halide burn is there to remind me NOT to use my shoulder to prop up a canopy lid while working in the tank.

If you go with a canopy, design it for easy access and not just for appearance!

I am planning an in-wall tank when we finish our basement. I figure that will eliminate the need for a canopy but still give it more of a finished look.

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 03/17/2005, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

i'm doing a DIY canopy for my new 75, but I'm just doing the frame on the sides, there won't be a top- just two 2x4's (and maybe a small ply piece) to attach my lights on the bottom and rest my ballasts on top of- this will make it easy to take on and off, i don't have to make a hinged door, and should let the heat rise easily- it probably won't do any of those, but i'm gonna try it.
Old 03/17/2005, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Can anyone define "easy access" with a canopy?
what would be ideal?
Old 03/17/2005, 03:50 PM
Knowledgable LFS employee

Ideal would be an electric pulley system that raised an lowered it with the push of a button. However here we're talking about being able to get around inside the tank without having to take the hood off. That usually entails doors that open all over and/or lights that slide out of the way.
Old 03/17/2005, 04:00 PM
Alpha One

I have a canopy on mine. Built it myself and only cost mme $30. Dont know if my inwall will have a canopy.

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 03/17/2005, 05:09 PM
R I P we miss you...

I think my canopy is easy access. I can open both the front and back door at the same time and get in the tank. If I am going to do heavy maintenance then I would remove the canopy. That should only happen once or twice a year if you keep up on algae etc.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 03/17/2005, 05:47 PM
In over my head!

Quote:
Originally posted by gooliver
Can anyone define "easy access" with a canopy?
what would be ideal?
How about this?

My stand and canopy have doors on all 3 sides. Each pair of doors is a huge opening for easy access.

Full shot of the tank:

Old 03/17/2005, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

that is an awesome tank jeffbrig !!
Old 03/17/2005, 07:06 PM
a wrasse cleans my... bb

I'd never have a tank without a canopy. Pendants are fine if you like to stand all the time to keep the light out of your eyes. Also, there isn't a reach problem with canopies if you use the split top front opening design (I don't know what it's really called, something like how a piano key cover opens)
Old 03/18/2005, 02:19 PM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

Quote:
Originally posted by Saltz Creep
I'd never have a tank without a canopy. Pendants are fine if you like to stand all the time to keep the light out of your eyes. Also, there isn't a reach problem with canopies if you use the split top front opening design (I don't know what it's really called, something like how a piano key cover opens)
That's exactly how mine opens. I have all lights mounted on the section that opens up, including my 6' VHO/MH retro kit. I can prop it with a stick for quick stuff, or it opens all the way up and can lean against the wall, which gives me enough room to jump in if I wanted. It's sorta heavy, but designed to be fairly easy to lift. Even my wife can open it no prob.
Old 03/18/2005, 02:49 PM
R I P we miss you...

My MH are on the inside top of my canopy and the actinics are on the canopy doors. I have hinges that will hold both the front and back doors open so I can work in the tank. Very easy use.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 03/18/2005, 02:54 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

I can't participate in the poll because I have one tank with and one tank without. I prefer the no canopy look, but I just got a tank from a friend for free and it came with a canopy. It is an odd sized tank, so I will be using the canopy that came with the setup.
Old 03/19/2005, 08:32 AM
Registered Member

I feel your pain! I have a 55 with an AGA canopy (which only has about 5 or 6 inches useable hight within). Currently running PC's in a 48" reflector that sits on top of my tank, inside the hood. I'd like to upgrade lighting but eliminating the canopy is NOT an option (at least that's what my wife tells me!). Considering MH and or T5 but totally confused about how to configure within the hood. I'll keep watching your thread with great interest!
Old 03/19/2005, 08:40 AM
Got Salt!

I could have voted ither way, I have two tanks with a canopy and a clam tank without one...the clam tank is designed as a look down system to see the super sweet bright neon colors...also has the angled pains as well im well pleased with it...the other tanks are set up traditionaly....what ever works for you