Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 09:56 PM
Moved On

Porc Pufferfish.. how long until full size?

Like the subject line says.. how long does it take for a porc puffer to reach full size?
Old 01/07/2008, 12:16 AM
Pufferkrazy!

Depends on tank size, clean water & good food. What's your real question?
Old 01/07/2008, 07:26 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Depends on tank size, clean water & good food. What's your real question?
What's that supposed to mean?

Thanks, but I asked my "real question"
Old 01/07/2008, 07:31 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I'm assuming he is in a tank that is too small for him & you can't upgrade anytime soon?

Puffers are fast growers, some growing as much as 1/2-1" per month. Porcpuffs need a minimum of 100g.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

How big is he now what kind of tank? Reef or FO? What size tank and what kind of water params? Pocpuffers can live a very long time and they tend to grow slower as they get older but never really stop growing, they just grow slower but they can grow very quickly when they are small if they are in good conditions and getting enough of the right foods to allow them to grow as they would normally which is actually faster sometimes then they would in nature due to lack of food. So the question is a little vague. If you could post some specifics I might be able to help more.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Puffer (double P), he may not have one yet. He may just be thinking about getting one and inquiring. That's what I'm hoping for, and how I read it.

Having that said, fishyfishy23, I do agree with puffer, they can grow quite fast. It's because they eat so much. I know people that bought small ones that were about a foot long within twelve months.

I can tell you from youthful experience (sorry to say), that if someone has a puffer in too small of an environment for a long period of time, they won't grow as fast, but they will get very stressed out within a few months because of the space limitations. When they get stressed, usually a lot of bad things happen, not just to the puffer, but usually to the whole tank.

I hope that helps some. Ya, I don't think I would consider having a puffer in a tank smaller then about 100 gallons. Maybe a 90 gallon, but that's a strong maybe.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 01/07/2008, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

And by the way, I'm sure you know this by now, if you are looking into them, but just in case, know that if you get one, don't plan on having any shrimp, and very very few if any crabs and snails. He will eat them all......ya, puffers like expensive snacks
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 01/07/2008, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

so is a puffer only goodsafe in a FOWLR tank?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

not that it is only safe for a FO or a FOWLR but they will eat all the snails and crabs and other things that you put into the tank to take care of a reef. That is why most people would only keep them in a large FO or FOWLR tank. Cause you don't want to be feeding a puffer $30 shrimp or $1-$5 snails or $20 crabs cause unless you have a lot of money to burn that will get really expensive very quickly.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

got ya. They are so amazing looking. I saw a large one, about 1 1/2 foot long in Iowa a while ago at aquatic environments and they had it in like a 80 gallon tank with some large coral beauties.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:49 PM
Moved On

I currently do have the puffer and have had him for a couple of months and I personally don't notice him growing very much (because I see him everyday) but my cousin who was with me when I got him came over this past weekend and was shocked at how much he grew.

He is in a 150 gallon tank FOWLR. Him & a few damsels are the only inhabitants. I most definitely researched them prior to getting him but I don't recall ever seeing "how long it takes them to get full grown" hence me inquiring in regards to this. Water parameters are all on par.

I feed him a vary good variety of items since my father works at a small grocery store so he gets a little bit of EVERYTHING. I also purchase live snails on ebay in bulk and add them to his tank so he can hunt for live food.

Basically, I just don't like when people assume things... I asked a question and was hoping to get an answer not a snotty remark.. Ever heard the expression that goes along with that? I understand your a pufferfan judging by your user name but I have 6 years experience in saltwater care but until recently I have strictly had reef tanks.

Thanks to everyone else who was eager to help and answer the question that was asked.

Last edited by fishyfishy23; 01/07/2008 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:01 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Your question was a bit vauge, as was stated. I run the #1 puffer forum in the world, in addition to answering puffer Qs at WWM & many other sites & I can't tell you how many questions I get like that. Next time, please present a little background info & folks won't jump the the wrong conclusions. It sounds like he has the perfect tank & great foods! I have a tiny baby burrfish that started out at a little over 1" & within the 3 or so months I've had him, he has grown at least 3-4x his origional mass.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:07 PM
Moved On

Pufferpunk no big deal.. I just think its best to maybe ask additional questions if your interested in helping instead of jumping to conclusions and acting like a "bully."

Just my 2 cents
Old 01/07/2008, 09:09 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I do not mean to come across as a bully but you are the one asking for info. If you want your question answered properly, it's your responsibility to give some background info.

What if someone posted, "How fast will my coral grow?" Doesn't that sound a bit vague to you?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:11 PM
Moved On

Ok, sorry! Your right! I apologize for wasting your time.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:14 PM
Pufferkrazy!

It's never a waste of my time if I am helping out a life. I am on the computer over 8 hours/day helping folk's out. Been doing this for 30 years now--I tend to hesitate helping ungrateful people after a while though.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Jen, You know I love ya and I know how much you love puffers but just take a breath I don't want to see this get out of hand both of you have a little bit of blame in this and no one is waisting anyones time!!! We all do this cause we love the ocean and want to see it everyday and we are trying to find the best way to do it. Why can't we treat each other with the same respect that we treat the animals the we try to take care of?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:24 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Gosh, all I asked for was more details & I get, " I apologize for wasting your time" & called a "bully".
Old 01/07/2008, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

Jen you are a great person and real asset to the fishkeeping world no one would be stupid for listening to you about fish espicially puffs you are not waisting anyones time!!! And you are not a bully. I just think we all assume things when we shouldn't I first started keeping fish by putting a tiger oscar into a 20G tank because the girl at the store said it was fine. We all do stuff that is not right for our fish (and other things) but we need to just try to help each other out when we can and this goes for fishy as well! We are here to help each other not anything more or less some when someone respondes explain more or offer additional questions don't jump on the offensive or deffensive because that never helps anyone!
Old 01/07/2008, 09:31 PM
Pufferkrazy!

My dad always kept his Oscar in a 15g tank & he could never understand why it always jumped out. Then he'd just get a new one. Once, it jumped into our cat's mouth!
Old 01/07/2008, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

I wonder why it jumped out?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:43 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Ummm... ask the cat. It was pretty funny--we were just little girls & my sister & I were chasing the cat all over the house, trying to get the Oscar out of it's mouth!
Old 01/07/2008, 09:46 PM
Wet Hand Club of Chicago

Puffy!!

------------------------------------------------
If you work on a lobster boat, sneaking up behind someone and pinching him is probably a joke that gets old real fast
Old 01/07/2008, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

I would hate to see if you actually caught the cat! That would not have been good for anyone involved!
Old 01/07/2008, 09:49 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Yeah, could you imagine? I'd probably still have the scars!