Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > East Tennessee Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2007, 09:49 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

New Web Host?

In case the website failure becomes permanent, I would like to look into other website hosts. I've come across the following:

http://www.ipowerweb.com/products/webhosting/index.html

It looks like we can get $5 a month for the first two years if we pay up front. After that, it looks like $9 or $10 a month.

Does this sound good? Know of any others that would reliable, but economical (two things at odds with one another, I know)?

-Scott
Old 11/27/2007, 11:57 AM
Keeping It Real

Looks fine to me... Let us know what goes on with our current website host...

Its not a hobby... Its a way of life...
Old 11/27/2007, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Scott

I think I like the idea of an online/real-time chat room in addition to threads. Does this site have that? Another question is -- would we use it? Could there be a private chat room for the BOD and a private one for ETRC members and mayby a public one for any/everyone else?

Just thoughts of mine.

Eddie
Old 11/27/2007, 12:42 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

I think the basic pphbb2 won't allow chat rooms. I'll have to add other features to allow that. If we want to do online chats, I recommend that we all get MSN accounts going. MSN is so much better for that kind of thing. I've used it for online game communications before.
Old 11/27/2007, 12:59 PM
Hmpfh! No more potlucks.

Scott...are you sure it's the hosting of the site that's messed up and not the domain name needing reregistering?

Just a thought...since I know David wouldn't let our server lapse unless he was having some major issues.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:02 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

The message is coming from the "eviltyrant" server. We paid for the domain for another 2.5 years.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:03 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Make that 3.5 years (from email on May 16, 2007):

Quote:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for purchasing the following:

Service: domain renewal Domain: EASTTNREEFCLUB.COM for 4 years.

Your account has been charged $59.80.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact us at ryan@rcthost.com.

Sincerely,

RCTHost.com
ryan@rcthost.com
http://www.rcthost.com
I checked our domain registry at this link:
http://who.securepaynet.net/WhoIs.as...inspricedright

It says we have until 2011 before we expire on the domain name.

I think we may have exceeded whatever traffic allotment David had set for us.

Last edited by Runner; 11/27/2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11/27/2007, 02:13 PM
Keeping It Real

Well, its a good thing our site is getting a lot more traffic... Did you get a counter up??? If not, thats something we need to get working on in the next little bit... That is once everything gets back up and running...

Old 11/28/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

if we have to have another web host... count me inon helping with the payment..... how much per person are we looking at?
Old 11/28/2007, 09:52 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Thanks, Travis. But something like that would come out of the club treasury. It would amount to about $60 up to $120 a year. We have just been getting a freebie lately through a friend of a club member.

I checked with David and he said we were shut down because of a "high traffic web forum". David is argueing with them right now that what we did was justified under his account. Less than 20 members and 100 posts in a week is hardly "high traffic".
Old 11/28/2007, 01:48 PM
Hmpfh! No more potlucks.

No kidding.
Old 11/28/2007, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Ipower is a very good reliable hosting company.....
Old 11/28/2007, 07:51 PM
28" Rainbow Trout

I've got an ole' buddy who, I believe, has website hosting as a side biz. I just left him a msg on his cell. Problem is, I dont know the answers to the questions he'll probably have. I assume size of content and by reading above, amount of traffic. If he's still into web hosting I'm sure it will be next to nothing cost wise to meet our current needs. LYK when I hear from him...

Scott, if you can answer any/most questions he might ask, pm or post.
Old 11/29/2007, 02:21 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

1and1.com seems to be a great host for the money. I'm not intimately familiar with your needs (obviously ), but I thought it may be something to consider.

Brandon
Old 11/29/2007, 11:24 AM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Looks like David got our website back, but warned me to back it up. He is looking for another host.
Old 11/29/2007, 12:15 PM
Keeping It Real

Thanks Scott...

Old 11/29/2007, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

check startlogic dot com, 300gb storage, 3000gb transfer a month. $5.95 a month if you pay for 2yrs up front, $6.95 a month for 1 year up front. At the end of your year/2 year, you can sign up again for the same package if you want. 3000gb of traffic is a heck of a lot more then clun would use. 300gb of storage would hold the club over for the next 20yrs probally. You can add $13 a per package for daily backups so nothing is ever lost.

If you plan on having a forum on it, DO NOT SKIMP on it. Another site I go to didnt renew their VBulletin like they should have and it got attacked by spammers who pretty much got the site taken offline until it was updated. VBulletin is like $170 or something for the first year to OWN it, I dont remember how much it is to renew it and get the updates. Its the EXACT same program RC uses.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lint_Licker
check startlogic dot com, 300gb storage, 3000gb transfer a month. $5.95 a month if you pay for 2yrs up front, $6.95 a month for 1 year up front. At the end of your year/2 year, you can sign up again for the same package if you want. 3000gb of traffic is a heck of a lot more then clun would use. 300gb of storage would hold the club over for the next 20yrs probally. You can add $13 a per package for daily backups so nothing is ever lost.

If you plan on having a forum on it, DO NOT SKIMP on it. Another site I go to didnt renew their VBulletin like they should have and it got attacked by spammers who pretty much got the site taken offline until it was updated. VBulletin is like $170 or something for the first year to OWN it, I dont remember how much it is to renew it and get the updates. Its the EXACT same program RC uses.
be very careful with the plans that offer a ridiculous amount of resources (disk space, bandwidth) for little money. they're set up on over loaded servers and you will have problems.

we've also got a lot of hosting customers from 1and1 as well as ipower from over the years, they weren't happy with them.

Yes, if you plan on having a forum, do not skimp on it. Definitely DON'T use 1and1 or ipowers shared hosting plans. Usually your shared hosting plans with static IP's are better and find one that comes with 24/7 PHONE support. Probably going to be spending $10 to $20 a month.

oh, also look for a hosting account that runs cPanel with fantastico deluxe, one of the latest more user friendly WebControl Panels, you can easily install several different nice fourms through it.

best regards,
brent

Last edited by Brent Thomann; 12/05/2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12/05/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

I wouldn't pay in advance until you have a chance to see how good their service is. Pay the monthly rate for a few and then agree to an extended contract.

Lets be honest here guys and gals. We don't have that much traffic both on the site and the internal forum. Lets say we have 100 visitors a day roughly. I can host that traffic on my personal computer over Comcast and they'd probably never even catch it. What I'm getting at is that the club doesn't need some lavish web hosting bundle because we will never use 10% of it. Get the cheapest deal you can find but don't jump in to it....At the end of the day there are hole in the wall companies with a few crappy servers in their basement trying to make a buck so you must be careful but not all are like that. Don't let a cheap price scare you away.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:00 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

I am thinking my language filter may have been what caused us to get dinged and locked up on a SQL overuse rule. That's my theory, anyway.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

FWIW, we use godaddy with no complaints. We don't do anything very fancy though.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

I use start logic all the time, with no complaints.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crumbletop
FWIW, we use godaddy with no complaints. We don't do anything very fancy though.
FYI- I've heard that GoDaddy doesn't support msge boards, live chat, and protected directories.

sorry to butt in. just trying to help out, since web host/design is what I/WE do for a long time now.
Old 12/06/2007, 12:59 PM
Keeping It Real

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Thomann
sorry to butt in. just trying to help out, since web host/design is what I/WE do for a long time now.
Your expertise is both wanted and appreciated, since we are trying to make the best decision for our club needs... So THANKS!!!!!

Old 12/06/2007, 01:11 PM
ETRC Webjourneyman

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Thomann
FYI- I've heard that GoDaddy doesn't support msge boards, live chat, and protected directories.

Thanks for the info. You weren't butting in at all. This is the kind of feedback we need.