Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/03/2006, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Nitrates are too high

Hello. I'm new to this site and I appreciate any advice you all have to offer. I have a 10 gallon nano tank with live rock and sand, a damsel, an ocellaris clownfish, a mandarin goby, 2 condi anemones, 1 feather duster, 1 scarlet crab and 2 snails. I have a hanging filter, small pump for making current, and a 50/50 bulb in my light fixture. All the inhabitants are healthy, eating and friendly.

All the chemistry is ok, except for my nitrates. They are very high and I don't know how to reduce them. I did a 40% water change, at a professional aquarist's instruction, on Saturday, but they are still measuring high. I'm using a real test kit, not just test strips, and I'm not sure what else to do, if anything.

Also, I'm getting conflicting reports about keeping soft corals. Some folks say a 50/50 bulb in a nano tank is fine for soft corals, others say I need a power compact or T5 light. Can someone help with this also, please?

Thanks so much!

Marcia
Wellington, FL
Old 08/03/2006, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

u really should have at least a pc fixture to keep soft corals....and a 50/50 screw in (which I am assuming you have) is nowhere near enough light for corals or anenomes for that matter. As for your nitrates consider the aquaclear 70 refugium mod thats here on the forum so you can incorporate some chaeto or other macro into your tank and help reduce your nitrates.
Old 08/03/2006, 08:15 AM
Moved On

What type of water do you use? RO/DI, tap, distilled? Best way to reduce nitrates is aggressive water changes every few days to dilute and get the levels down. This way you can more easily maintain low nitrates. You can also use macroalgae that will consume nitrates once you get the levels to a more reasonable level.
Old 08/03/2006, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

Hi Mr. Crabs, Could you explain the refugium thing to me. I'm still new and still learning. And what should I add into the tank?
Old 08/03/2006, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

a protein skimmer is the best way to go in my opinion. Their sole purpose is to remove dom (dissolved organic matter), and most do it very well
I would go with the T-5,theyre much better, and you can get them for less than $50 (from Coralife)
Old 08/03/2006, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

One person said use distilled, the other said use r/o water. What's the best/correct? And what is macroalgae and where do I get it? Thanks!
Old 08/03/2006, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Can you get a protein skimmer for a 10g nano?
Old 08/03/2006, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

yea, a Tunze
Old 08/03/2006, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

distilled is uasually ro/di water...but not always....check the label.
as for the refugium mob basically people take the AC110 and take the filter basket it comes with and mod it so that instead of holding a filter cartridge and carbon and stuff you put chaetomorpha macro algae and some little LR rubble pieces in ot to naturally break down nitrates. There is a thread in the DIY section. where you gettin t-5's for 50 bux madnav?
Old 08/03/2006, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

How often have you been doing water changes?
Old 08/03/2006, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Hi. I spoke to my fish guy and he has ordered me a hang on the back filter with a protein skimmer built in. I just discovered the problem, so I've only done one water change, but I'm going to change out another gallon tonight when I get home. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all the advice.
Marcia
Old 08/03/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

So you have done one waterchange and the the tank has been running how long? I do them weekly in my 10g.
Old 08/03/2006, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

I do them weekly in my 24gal (2.5Gal water change)
Old 08/03/2006, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

i hope thats not a skilter he ordered. i have heard nothing but bad things
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcia
Hi. I spoke to my fish guy and he has ordered me a hang on the back filter with a protein skimmer built in. I just discovered the problem, so I've only done one water change, but I'm going to change out another gallon tonight when I get home. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all the advice.
Marcia
Old 08/09/2006, 11:32 PM
Registered Member

Isn't 3 fishes in a 10gallon a little much?